ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange noise

Hi All,

I have a strange noise that seems to be coming from the exhaust, its like a loud hum that appears at 3krpm then goes and comes back as the revs increase, the higher the gear - the louder the noise - sort of like "whir whir whir whir"

the noise goes away when the clutch is depressed or the car is in neutral.

I have not long changed the cam and aux belt with tensioners etc but NOT the dephaser pulley, im really hoping its not the dephaser!

any ideas?

Thanks
James

Mk5 golf gti
need a video to show the fault as your explanation could be anything

eg clutch problem, heat shield baffles etc etc

ps it definately not the dephaser

Last edited:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
could be diff if its doing it when moving but clutch not depressed.

Or CV joint

Got a video but strangely it didnt capture the noise, i blame the iphone... strange as the noise is very loud.

any ideas without a video, may try again

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
Maybe you should try a garage if no one on here knows what it is, instead of getting shirty and posting 5 times in a row.

I wont be trying a garage until it is my absolute last resort - just dont trust them or like paying through the nose.

Sorry if my "getting shirty" offended anyone - its just im used to a little better response, coming from 106oc and s2ki

Is there an FAQ of problems on this site? or a guides section?

Thanks
James

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
No worries mate, but you must understand that it is near enough impossible to diagnose a noise over the internet, even with a video, as it will probably sound nothing like it does in real life. You'll need someone to look at it really, where are you based? There are plenty of decent fella's on here that you can trust that I'm sure will be happy to help and won't charge you like a dealer would.

Lionel Richie
who did the belt change? if the tension is wrong they can make a weird whirring noise but you really have to c**k it up to get that

hard to diagnose as said

who did the belt change? if the tension is wrong they can make a weird whirring noise but you really have to c**k it up to get that

hard to diagnose as said

Ah, this is entirely possible as I did it myself - I followed the guide on here and used a new tensioner, however I did use a cheap torque wrench.

Can you please explain how it can be cocked up? any idea how to check or rectify the problem?

I remember having to put the little "tooth" of the tensioner into a hole and then twist it through a specific angle...hmmm