ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange Revving Please Help!!

172 Ph2
Right, here's the story so far;)

When I collected my car last week (from Dannyboy172) we knew there was a bit of a problem with the idle speed and the emmisions light was lit on the dash. Danny had popped the car down to Renault and they claimed it was a lamda problem but as I was collecting the car on the sunday we have no time to try one out.

When I arrived at danny's and took the car for a spin the cat broke! This then seemed like the obvious cause of the dash light and funny idle. I drove the car home from danny's and had a new sports cat and new exhaust fitted. The light wnet off and all seemed fine!

I drove the car to Sheffield yesterday (150 miles) on BP ultimate and there were now problems whatsoever, infact the car went brillantly and averaged 35.4MPG. On the way home, having filled up at Morrisons on normal unleaded, it was still going fine. I'd covered 100 miles when I started to encounter a bit of a problem. When a was leaving a small village following a slower car I dropped it down into 2nd for a tight bent and the car almost cut out. The revs jumped a bit and then settled down again. I thought that it was a bit weird and kept a close eye on things. The car ran perfectly until coming into my parking area when it did the same again! Loss of power for a split second them a jump in revs, then it settled down again. I took it for a quick spin but couldn't get it to do it again! Has anybody got any ideas of what it might be?????

I was thinking Dodgy Fuel, Idle control Valve or Lamda!

Little Newms

ClioSport Club Member
  182, D2 Td5 & 840CI
Exactly the same problem my car has... the revs go to hold at 900rpm, cant, drop to 500rpm, then tries to go back up to 900rpm on its own and then cuts out.....

This is on a VTs btw and it is the coil pack.

172 Ph2
The car has recently had new leads and a new coil-pack so I find it hard to belive it's that! I've head the idle control valve can sometimes need cleaning, how do I go about doing this and where is it in the engine bay? I've driven it most of the day today and I hasn't happened again, seems very strange!

I drove the car to Sheffield yesterday (150 miles) on BP ultimate and there were now problems whatsoever, infact the car went brillantly and averaged 35.4MPG. On the way home, having filled up at Morrisons on normal unleaded, it was still going fine. I'd covered 100 miles when I started to encounter a bit of a problem. When a was leaving a small village following a slower car I dropped it down into 2nd for a tight bent and the car almost cut out. The revs jumped a bit and then settled down again. I thought that it was a bit weird and kept a close eye on things. The car ran perfectly until coming into my parking area when it did the same again! Loss of power for a split second them a jump in revs, then it settled down again. I took it for a quick spin but couldn't get it to do it again! Has anybody got any ideas of what it might be?????

I was thinking Dodgy Fuel, Idle control Valve or Lamda!
Your car doens't have an idel control valve like the Mk1's

Check for loose cable and check the spark plugs arn't wet

No more clio's for me!
Better not be the coil pack, bloody thing is only two weeks old!! Leads are also a couple of weeks old. If there was a problem with them the car would run a misfire anyway not the problem your having.

Thinking about it a bit more mate, can it be the new exhaust - change in back pressure with the sports CAT, as the system is more free flowing?? :S

Edit: 35.4mpg...i'd get 40+ on the motorwary! ;) lol

172 Ph2
Thinking about it a bit more mate, can it be the new exhaust - change in back pressure with the sports CAT, as the system is more free flowing?? :S

Could be the case mate! What should I do about this though? Can I reset the ecu? If so, how? Maybe the ecu has sorted it's self out as it didn't do it today! Fingers crossed hey!

No more clio's for me!

Could be the case mate! What should I do about this though? Can I reset the ecu? If so, how? Maybe the ecu has sorted it's self out as it didn't do it today! Fingers crossed hey!

i think they self adjust?? but not 100% sure.

you can always disconnect the battery for an 1 or 2 and then fire it up again. :approve:

M

mini-valver

MAP sensor might have a leak or maybe the fuel you used. If i use anything other than bo ultimate mine tries to die whenever you dip the clutch to stop at traffic etc.....

Try using ultimate for a bit and see if it persists!

172 Ph2
Will do, it ran smooth as all the way to Sheffield when on BP ultimate! Should I think about resetting the ecu, if so, how do I do it??

M

mini-valver

Wouldnt bother, just run it on ultimte for a tank r too and see if it still does it, pull the MAP sensor out and give it a wipe too.

Wouldnt bother, just run it on ultimte for a tank r too and see if it still does it, pull the MAP sensor out and give it a wipe too.

My clio is doing the same, where abouts is the map sensor so i can also give it a clean? if that doesnt help the gonna change coil-packs and cables. cheers