ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strange rotational scraping noise

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just noticed when driving that at very low speeds when coming to a stop there's an intermittent rotating scraping noise. Sounds very much like metal on metal just catching as it's not a constant noise but it is at regular intervals.

Am I right in thinking this will be pad/disc related? I'll get it up on axle stands tonight and have a look. Cars annoying me at the moment with clunking noises and now this scraping noise.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yep.
Its had new bearings up front. Sounds like it's coming from passenger side.

I'm not running disc retaining bolts as they made my spacers not sit flush. This shouldn't be an issue as everything is tightened with the wheel nuts?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Just set it on fire, it's the only way.
I'm tempted.
My bilstein Allen heads are starting to round which is frustrating. They're not too bad but they're on their way.
I'm going to carl tomorrow if he provides the lighter I'll provide the petrol

donnylad

ClioSport Club Member
I had exactly the same, though it got louder with speed. I had only had the car 2days and was thinking wtf is this!

Turns out the wheel nuts were loose on 3 of them, finger tight, that wasnt the problem though, the brake disk screw was not even finger tight and 1/2 a mm undone causing the disk to wobble and score a line into it on the pad or something!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I had exactly the same, though it got louder with speed. I had only had the car 2days and was thinking wtf is this!

Turns out the wheel nuts were loose on 3 of them, finger tight, that wasnt the problem though, the brake disk screw was not even finger tight and 1/2 a mm undone causing the disk to wobble and score a line into it on the pad or something!
I'm running no disc screws, but I'm sure my wheel nuts are tight. I only checked them on Monday and everything is brought together tight with the nuts iirc

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Can't remember if 182/172 have them, on the back of disc a metal plate that's meant to sheild heat and debris.

Stones get stuck betweent the sheild and disk, and start sounding horrific. Gentle push on the sheild and out they pop.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I don't believe these have them. I certainly don't remember sseeing any. Hope it's as simple as a stone in the caliper

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Think ive sorted it.
Rushed home after work and got it in the air. Removed the caliper and disc and found some threadlock congealed on both hub face and brake disc. I had recently redone them on this side and to save time not removed the caliper (laziness).
I believe this has led to the disc not sitting flush and then only making contact intermittently when braking lightly on that side?
Cleaned up the metal slider parts and all the pads and they have loads of meat left in them. One does have a bit of an odd lip in it like it's not been sat properly, shouldve taken a photo but oh well.

What I did notice was that when rotating the disc I can sort of replicate the scraping noise. Almost like the disc is slightly warped?

I recorded it so have a bad video.

Put it all back together and it doesn't seem to be making the noise anymore but I will see tomorrow I guess.

It's a weird one. Sliders are all free and working great.

Krarl

ClioSport Club Member
Bang your discs on a lathe is the easiest answer.

But the best thing is just to clean up the mating surfaces and take it out for a hoon[emoji102][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk