ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripped Clio weight

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
How low have people got them down to?

and

What was involved with getting to such a weight?

CLIO 182
Already thinking about stripping?! :D Sure I have seen below 900 on here somewhere, but that would obviously been to the extreme.

Golf GTD Mk7
Depends how much money you have. It will probably be possible to get it to 800kg, but it will need CF panels, polycarbs. Doing what Chris did with his trophy would help to (dipped the shell to remove all underseal). It's more resonable to say 900kg with cage iirc.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Already thinking about stripping?! :D Sure I have seen below 900 on here somewhere, but that would obviously been to the extreme.

I want to retire the Clio to track days and competitive events, I've found another car that's perfect for a daily and is ridiculously cheap but it has a braked towing limit of 1000kg :(

I think the whole idea has been thwarted before it's even really started to be honest :/

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
Weight saving on Cup

Standard weight -
Removed parts -
Front Seats (both)
Rear bench
Rear seat back
Isofix bar - 2.3
Parcel Shelf
Boot Carpet
Spare Wheel
Toolkit
Rear belts and Buckles
Rear speaker panels
Tailgate trim
Trim covering rear seat belts
lower boot trim
Rear Strut cover carpets
Intake manifold change
Front Carpet and foam
Carbon Canister
Foglights
Battery
Steering wheel and airbags
Sound deadening + tar
Door Cards
Added parts -
Bimarco Seats
Safety harnesses
Sabelt steering wheel
Varley red top (25)
Door trim (plastic)
Stripped weight =

Did this today, but a few are estimates. Hope it helps.............

CLIO 182
I want to retire the Clio to track days and competitive events, I've found another car that's perfect for a daily and is ridiculously cheap but it has a braked towing limit of 1000kg :( I think the whole idea has been thwarted before it's even really started to be honest :/
I seen that. ZS? What does the Clio need to weigh then? Under 1000kgs? That will be pretty easy, especially if its going to be a full out track car.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Weight saving on Cup
Standard weight -1021
Removed parts -
Front Seats (both)46
Rear bench 4.6
Rear seat back 9
Isofix bar - 2.32.3
Parcel Shelf 2.05
Boot Carpet2.2
Spare Wheel
Toolkit3.5
Rear belts and Buckles2.35
Rear speaker panels 3.5
Tailgate trim0.85
Trim covering rear seat belts1.4
lower boot trim0.7
Rear Strut cover carpets0.6
Intake manifold change 4
Front Carpet and foam9
Carbon Canister4
Foglights3
Battery 17
Steering wheel and airbags10
Sound deadening + tar10
Door Cards12
Added parts -
Bimarco Seats15
Safety harnesses3
Sabelt steering wheel4
Varley red top (25)7
Door trim (plastic)2
Stripped weight =903.95

Did this today, but a few are estimates. Hope it helps.............
That's pretty much the spec of mine bar the carpet, front doorcards and battery.

Mine has 1 Bimarco seat and currently weighing in with 1/4 of a tank at 960kg's

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I removed just the rear seats and notice a difference (waits for people im imagining it)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I seen that. ZS? What does the Clio need to weigh then? Under 1000kgs? That will be pretty easy, especially if its going to be a full out track car.

A Minno trailer apparently weighs around 275kg. So that'd leave me needing to get the Clio down to 725kg lol.

My hope was perhaps there are lighter trailers out there, say 200kg and the Clio could be brought down to 800kg.

Seems like a lot of hassle though, even in the long run. Annoying.

I guess it could be worth looking at something like a BMW 328 which has a max braked towing weight of 1600kg, but I do quite like the MG, it's in great condition and it's silly cheap.

That's pretty much the spec of mine bar the carpet, front doorcards and battery.

Mine has 1 Bimarco seat and currently weighing in with 1/4 of a tank at 960kg's

Thats interesting to know!

My ph1 is similar, minus the carpet and with 2 seats. I was hoping i wouldnt be far off 950kg. I may go to the local scrappy and ask if they will weigh it haha.

Trafic 140dci
My white ph1 weighs 960kg (on a way bridge) with only top dash and trimmed loom remaining inside, all excess metal lugs cut away and heater matrix removed. Only thing to add weight is my cup racer roll cage, an omp 6 point cage is 30kg, so mine can't be more than 40kg.

You'd never get 900kg's just removing parts, you'd need heater matrix out, cut all excess metal off etc feel free to weigh a car that has just had interior parts un bolted and prove me wrong :)

Im hoping now I have ITB's loosing the inlet manifolds, smaller rad, and lightweight exhaust I'm Down to 940kg ish :)

320d
I've not seen a thread on stripping on here for ages. It was fashionable a couple of years ago, not so much now. I see the point for track though, I hate carrying more than one passenger because the car feels so much less responsive.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mine is stripped to the bare metal inside, has standard passenger seat, lightweight bucket seat for driver, removed power steering, carbon canister, foglights, airbags, bonnet/undertray sound-deadening.

I weighed everything that came out, and everything that went back in, and saved 117 kgs.

So from a 172 Cup 1,021 kgs starting point I'm at 904 kgs as above.

Caterham, Z4
I want to retire the Clio to track days and competitive events, I've found another car that's perfect for a daily and is ridiculously cheap but it has a braked towing limit of 1000kg :(

I think the whole idea has been thwarted before it's even really started to be honest :/

What with the trailer weighing 500kgs...

My Caterham weighs about 500kg with loads of carbon. Clio - nowhere close!

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
That's quite a trailer you've got if it weights 500kg.

As I stated above, the kind of trailer I'd be looking at weighs around 275kg.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
My friends cup completely standard without air con and 1/4 tank was 1020, mine with the same fuel load but with air con was 1040

That's quite a trailer you've got if it weights 500kg.

As I stated above, the kind of trailer I'd be looking at weighs around 275kg.
My BJT Clubman for the clio is also 500KG's they certainly aren't light if you get a decent sized one and twin axle although mine is the HD so that add's 50KG!

182cup & 172 racecar
We got ours down to about 840-850kg with 1/4 tank of fuel, but have been adding bits back in over time.

I think Ians Clio that runs in our series, weighs about 820kg, but thats with flimsy doors as well.

I think you need to look for another tow car.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
If you're trying to compare the weight released by Renault with your car, you'll be playing a bit of a guessing game..... I work in the weights department at JLR and so I'm up to speed on certified weights. Basically, the jist of it is, every production vehicle is certified at Base Curb Mass, which is 100% fuel, no options, no driver. And then, when it comes to actually weighing the vehicle with the VCA (Vehicle Certification Authority), we're allowed a COP (conformity of production) of 5%. Therefore, as long as the vehicle actually weighs within 5% of what weight we release, then that is the weight we release.

Proof of this is in the pudding. We're currently preparing my 172 for the tintops and we weighed it in at Base Curb Mass using corner weights. As you can see from the pic, it comes out at 1114kg, compared to 1035kg as released by Renault. This is 7.6% over the certified weight....which means that things like air con would be down as free options or such like. So they'll "walk" off the weight of these things to get under the 5% mark.
DSC02769.jpg

We've properly stripped ours now and we're going for polycarb windows, and have a bolt-in cage to go back in as well. When it's done we'll be wacking it on the corner weights and seeing what we manage. I would love to see it under 950 with full fuel, but I haven't weighed the parts coming out. I'm pleasantly surprised to see the burpspeed car around the 850 mark...here's to hoping we can match it.

Hoofy

ClioSport Club Member
  Chase Racing Clio
Takes a lot of drilling ;) to get to that figure.

We've drilling the spot welds of all those needless brackets around the car, but haven't resorted to hole-sawwing just yet!! Watch this space though... need to write up what we've done so far. I'll hopefully get to that this weekend.

Evo 5 RS
Mines polycarbed and caged but Ive still got door cards in and dash. Will stick it on the weigh bridge at work if it's on tomorrow.

Trafic 140dci
Mines polycarbed and caged but Ive still got door cards in and dash. Will stick it on the weigh bridge at work if it's on tomorrow.
Going off subject, what's it like to live with in the summer with the polycarb windows? Can imagine it would get like an oven, i'm in 2 minds as to if i want to do it...

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Going off subject, what's it like to live with in the summer with the polycarb windows? Can imagine it would get like an oven, i'm in 2 minds as to if i want to do it...

In a word, horrendous!!!! I now have a roof scoop to aid cockpit cooling. If you put scoops on the windows to draw the air in you'll end up with your head buzzing and your ears bleeding if you go above 70mph. I speak from experience.