ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripping out my car to make it lightweight?

My bicycle!!
im thinking about stripping my car back to make it as lightweight as possible, I know its only a 1.2, but people expect it to be slow, sooo what i was thinking was make them realise that its not as slow as what they might think!

Ive been thinking about doing these bits:

Stripping our door cards, roof lining, carpet, rear seats, spare wheel, rear interior plastics, speakers, the list goes on...

Also mounting a aluminium fuel tank behind the seats, which reminds me bucket seats, 4 point harness, all the usual goodies:D

Can anyone give me some hints or bits of advice when doing this?

cheers!

The engine's quite heavy, that'd be my first option to make it lighter.

In all seriousness, I can't see it making too much difference.

My bicycle!!
The engine's quite heavy, that'd be my first option to make it lighter.

In all seriousness, I can't see it making too much difference.

Surely it would make quite a bit of difference, ive heard of people making valvers down to less than 900kg?

Im just thinking of doing something a bit different like to a 1.2 :cool:

mines the blue valver with orange wheels sometimes about in bridgwater.

Mine is back to the bare basics, no headlining, door cards, 2 buckets, no sound deadening, and the 172 engine is 30kg lighter than the valver one!

My bicycle!!
mines the blue valver with orange wheels sometimes about in bridgwater.

Mine is back to the bare basics, no headlining, door cards, 2 buckets, no sound deadening, and the 172 engine is 30kg lighter than the valver one!

yeah ive seen you about!
Nice car by the way!

So how much difference did it make by stripping it out?

quite alot, but then again it was a valver to start so it made a fairly big difference, the basis is on a 100bhp engine and a 1000kg car 10kg loss is equal to 1bhp gain, so if you can loose 150kg like i have, its equal to about 15bhp, but mainly its better for 0-60, its getting it rolling that the loss of weight shows.

I did wonder if you were on here, then saw this thread then noticed your location lol!

cheers btw, shes not bad, bit of a track **** lol:
223307200-L.jpg

My bicycle!!
Looking good!

The rear wheels love coming up!

Do you know dan cresswell? he has a stripped out phase 1 106 1.1

He has stripped it out, looks the dogs balls! and that is pretty nippy!

Im not sure how much quicker mine will be though, seems as its only like 58 horses!! Its pretty bad to admit really!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
You'll ruin the value of your car and gain not a lot, save your money and buy a faster car. This aint a put down or sarcy comment, its just the best thing to do trust me.

My bicycle!!
You'll ruin the value of your car and gain not a lot, save your money and buy a faster car. This aint a put down or sarcy comment, its just the best thing to do trust me.

Thing is i only paid 300 quid for it anyway, and if i get a quick car, people expect it to be fast, so why not have a slow car and people think its slow til they get in it!

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000

Thing is i only paid 300 quid for it anyway, and if i get a quick car, people expect it to be fast, so why not have a slow car and people think its slow til they get in it!

But it'll still be slow, just fast for a 1.2. You can pick up valvers cheap now, strip one of them, save up for a 1*2 conversion that Dan can do cheap.

How much were you spending on this alloy fuel tank, harnessess and buckets. In my old car the seats harnessess cost as much as a valver easy!

My bicycle!!

But it'll still be slow, just fast for a 1.2. You can pick up valvers cheap now, strip one of them, save up for a 1*2 conversion that Dan can do cheap.

How much were you spending on this alloy fuel tank, harnessess and buckets. In my old car the seats harnessess cost as much as a valver easy!

True, but the thing is people strip valvers, i havent heard of many people that have stripped a 1.2 oasis haha!

S3, HD Nightster
I stripped my first car - 1.1 106. Used to love embaressing kitted saxos. It will feel faster and better off the line. Half of this is psychological mind, being able to hear the road and engine more will make you think your going faster! Didnt regret doing it however, but make sure you put them back in to sell!

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I stripped my first car - 1.1 106. Used to love embaressing kitted saxos. It will feel faster and better off the line. Half of this is psychological mind, being able to hear the road and engine more will make you think your going faster! Didnt regret doing it however, but make sure you put them back in to sell!

If you had standard internals theres absolutely no saxo out there that you would beat unless they had an elephant on tow.

I stripped my saxo out to fit my roll cage, ran it a while without the cage and no interior other than seats and dash, removed everything else, roof lining, carpets, door cards, boot lining, sound deadning etc. I could hear everything on the road but there was no noticeable difference other than it skipped out easier.

Its completely pointless excercise but if it makes you happy, go for it.

If you had standard internals theres absolutely no saxo out there that you would beat unless they had an elephant on tow.

Surely a stripped out 1.1 106 would be far quicker than a kitted up, stereo'd up 1.1 saxo??

My bicycle!!

I stripped my saxo out to fit my roll cage, ran it a while without the cage and no interior other than seats and dash, removed everything else, roof lining, carpets, door cards, boot lining, sound deadning etc. I could hear everything on the road but there was no noticeable difference other than it skipped out easier.

Its completely pointless excercise but if it makes you happy, go for it.

What engine was your saxo?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
With my old 1.4 mk2 Clio it went from 18.5 second 1/4 miles down to 17.7 when I stripped it out. That was front seats, dash, carpets and sound deadening left in!

My bicycle!!
With my old 1.4 mk2 Clio it went from 18.5 second 1/4 miles down to 17.7 when I stripped it out. That was front seats, dash, carpets and sound deadening left in!

Well i was thinking about taking everything out that i dont need, even stuff like the heater (which doesnt work anyway!!) and as much as i can just to see how fast i can get it to do :D
After all it is just a bit of fun

My bicycle!!
Well i want to try and keep the dash in mine, but everything else is going!

What things under the hood can go to loose weight?

Was it hard stripping it out of pretty simple?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Most of it was very easy. Hardest bit is getting the dash out without breaking it!

We removed about 6kgs of tar sound deadening from the floor pan nevermind the rest of it! Aiming for as close to 800kgs as possible

j plate 91 449 valver,
hey. i have a clio oasis too. jsut wondering anoyone lowered there car while they got 195/50/15 or 205/50/15 tires on it?? thinking of doing it for better handeling but dont know how low i can get it before steering and scaping get a problem!

My bicycle!!
hey. i have a clio oasis too. jsut wondering anoyone lowered there car while they got 195/50/15 or 205/50/15 tires on it?? thinking of doing it for better handeling but dont know how low i can get it before steering and scaping get a problem!

ive lowered the rear 1 notch on the torision bar, ive got 195/55/r15's it rubs a little, if i have 2 people in the back it rubs on every bump!