ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stripping weight from 172 track car

172, BMW 650i & X5
Hi all, new owner of a 200 Clio 172 in silver. This was bought for track only purposes and is the successor to my N/A MR2.
I have stripped most of the weight out with all the usuals and replaced all but windscreen with 1mm polycarbonate too. I'll be leaving the dash in but not much else. I'm new to the Clio's and have a couple of Q's for you:

1) Under the wiper scuttle panel appears to be the heater fan unit, is this correct and can it be removed and how?
2) I currently have an airbag and serv light lit. Is this a known fault and does it activate 'limp home mode'?
3) I want to remove the Renault steering wheel which has an airbag, is this simply remove and install new boss & wheel, or is there resistor issues etc?

Again, I'm new to Clio world so assume I know nothing. Any help greatly appreciated and thankyou in advance...

330i. E30 Touring.
1. Yep, under the scuttle on the drivers side is the heater motor. Can be removed if you don't need it.
2. Nope, airbag and service light affect nothing apart from the dash.
3. Yep, nice and simple. Resistors might even turn the light off.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
You have quite a bit of tar on the floor of the car in the boot etc that adds up when you remove it all.

172, BMW 650i & X5
Budgie, best replies I could have hoped for. Thankyou.

I'm all ears for any other non costly weight saving ideas you may have. Building the wee car with my 13 year old to get him on the tools and put a smile on his face!!!

172, BMW 650i & X5
Hi Dan, I have removed all the tar with a heat gum (even got inside of rear pillars) and removed residue with cellulose thinners. Very clean.
I've removed the headlights and cut whole rear off them leaving only outer lens and mounting points. Not afraid to have a go and open to any other suggestions guys. Very much appreciated. Will get some pics up tomorrow...

172, BMW 650i & X5
Previous track toy...
36v1.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
Have you spotted the lump of iron under the engine mount? That can go!

Well worth spending the £12 to join up mate - you'll more than get that back with the technical knowledge, which parts to use and the guides. :)

Oh, and if you've not ditched the 16's yet for 15's, get them gone. They drive better, weigh less and the rubber is cheaper!

172, BMW 650i & X5
Thanks Budgie, I'll definitely join up, did so with MR2 club also. Car currently running on 15's and will be getting either Yoko Ad048 or 888's.
That lump of iron is under which engine mount?, haven't been under her yet as still stripping on 4 wheels.
Any other tips or tricks?
Seriously looking forward to getting her out, love my track days (keeps me from shopping with wife!!!)

Thanks Budgie, I'll definitely join up, did so with MR2 club also. Car currently running on 15's and will be getting either Yoko Ad048 or 888's.
That lump of iron is under which engine mount?, haven't been under her yet as still stripping on 4 wheels.
Any other tips or tricks?
Seriously looking forward to getting her out, love my track days (keeps me from shopping with wife!!!)

Hello mate, surprised you've gone Clio after the Mr2! Will you be at Kirkistown this Sunday? I'll be there if you want some pointers on the car, mine's the blue/white #72 :smile: Some good people on here, plenty of set up advice.

172, BMW 650i & X5
Hi Mark, heart was broke with the MR2. Originally had poor engine, replaced and got it running (just OK), persistant problems with gear box, collapsing thrust bearing, gear selector etc... In the MR2 this is always an engine out job so took away from the 'arrive & drive' fun factor.
Went the Clio route as well priced, seem to go well, hot hatch etc...
Thought the next day was at end of month, if it's this sunday I'll definitely call up. Next 2 weekends after include a stag do and wedding....
Currently stripping everything I can get my fingers on, then onto brakes & engine. Hopefully out again September/October...

Hi Mark, heart was broke with the MR2. Originally had poor engine, replaced and got it running (just OK), persistant problems with gear box, collapsing thrust bearing, gear selector etc... In the MR2 this is always an engine out job so took away from the 'arrive & drive' fun factor.
Went the Clio route as well priced, seem to go well, hot hatch etc...
Thought the next day was at end of month, if it's this sunday I'll definitely call up. Next 2 weekends after include a stag do and wedding....
Currently stripping everything I can get my fingers on, then onto brakes & engine. Hopefully out again September/October...

I knew you had some hassle, just not that much :( the Clio is so much fun, generally reliable, only issues I've had is a misfire that turned out to be the crank sensor and my 3rd gear synchro is on it's way out, just have to be slow and easy into gear or it'll grind. Mine's staying road legal, drive down, give it abuse all day and drives home, love it :) See you there :tongueout:

172, BMW 650i & X5
I knew you had some hassle, just not that much 😧 the Clio is so much fun, generally reliable, only issues I've had is a misfire that turned out to be the crank sensor and my 3rd gear synchro is on it's way out, just have to be slow and easy into gear or it'll grind. Mine's staying road legal, drive down, give it abuse all day and drives home, love it :smile: See you there :tongueout:
I'll be looking forward to it. Bought mine out of south with the exchange rate for buttons...
Took her for a good spin before buying and to be honest she feels much superior to the Toyota, hope the reliability holds up!!!
Currently in build process but mine's an open garage so everyone welcome if you're passing Dromore

I'll be looking forward to it. Bought mine out of south with the exchange rate for buttons...
Took her for a good spin before buying and to be honest she feels much superior to the Toyota, hope the reliability holds up!!!
Currently in build process but mine's an open garage so everyone welcome if you're passing Dromore

Excellent, going by how you prep'd the Mr2 this will be a little weapon :)

172, BMW 650i & X5
Excellent, going by how you prep'd the Mr2 this will be a little weapon :smile:
Cheers man, appreciate that. Currently flat out with grinder, chisel, heat gun and polycarbonate to strip weight. Engine will be left alone until winter though.
Just signed up as a member and had to do a background pic so threw a few of my track/road/roadtrip machines together until I get one of Clio...
S2000 at Spa & Nurburgring (Monza day cancelled at last moment Grrr...), Z4M at Catalunya and MR2 at Kirkistown!!!
Already planning another S2000 for Euro road trip/F1 track adventure next summer, Hopefully Clio won't kill funds too much...
Untitled.jpg

Cheers man, appreciate that. Currently flat out with grinder, chisel, heat gun and polycarbonate to strip weight. Engine will be left alone until winter though.
Just signed up as a member and had to do a background pic so threw a few of my track/road/roadtrip machines together until I get one of Clio...
S2000 at Spa & Nurburgring (Monza day cancelled at last moment Grrr...), Z4M at Catalunya and MR2 at Kirkistown!!!
Already planning another S2000 for Euro road trip/F1 track adventure next summer, Hopefully Clio won't kill funds too much...View attachment 133418

Great pics, Spa is the dream for me, Z4m in Spain must've been epic!
Lol at the Clio not killing funds, I'd advise you not to look too much on here 🙈 Mine started off at a grand including the dephaser/aux kit..........gone slightly beyond now 😢

172, BMW 650i & X5
Great pics, Spa is the dream for me, Z4m in Spain must've been epic!
Lol at the Clio not killing funds, I'd advise you not to look too much on here 🙈 Mine started off at a grand including the dephaser/aux kit..........gone slightly beyond now 😢
I'd strongly recommend Spa, Catalunya is OK and the Nurburgring is pure S***. I'll be heading back through Spa for a track day in S2 next July, unbelievable. EauRouge is immense!!! Stelvio pass & San Bernardino are epic
Do a euro trip, they're fantastic.