ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Strong fuel smell in cabin

Clio 182 FF
Hi all,

Past week i have noticed a strong fuel smell in the cabin, ill just bullet point what i know so far.

• Strongest smell is when pulling off, cruising i cant smell anything
  • car wont start first time when cold, usually a prime of the key it will fire up straight away. When warm, it fires up as normal. (guess its loosing pressure?)
  • Open the bonnet and it smells badly down by the aux belt. Following the fuel line about half way down the block it meets some black sponge (in a recess) on the engine which is soaked in fuel.
  • I'm not noticing any difference in fuel consumption or performance (return fuel line?)
  • Flooring it close to redline the smell is very very strong!

Im hoping to look at this tomorrow but i am after some pointers from the experienced ones as i will only have the morning to try and source some parts.

The car is a 2005 Clio 182 phase 2

Cheers!

Clio 172 Cup
In front of the front wheels. Behind the bumper are black box plastic canister things. To do with the fuel/vapour.
What is the condition like on them? Could be leaking from them or the insides

Clio 182 FF
Cheers for the reply. Took the fuel line off and there was some chaffing about 2mm that cut into the pipe. New one from stealers was £33+VAT - yes, for about 3 feet of plastic pipe...