ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Studying for 70-290

Hi,
I noticed in the past a fair few people have experience of domains, dns etc (think some have said they are ms cert too) so does anyone have any tips on me taking my 70-290, think I got most of it understood, although remembering group scopes and whats compatable with each other still has me baffled (like global group in a native 2003 domain/universal group 2000 native domain). Any easy way to remember these?

Ta.

dk

911 GTS Cab
hmmm, I managed to pass 290 on my first time but it wasn't without a log of revision.

I did the course and made the mistake of not taking the exam soon after, it was about a year gap which meant I had to do a LOT of revising, but I did it and got the pass.

Having done all the MCSE now the 290 is probably the easiest but is a good building block for the rest, there is pretty much a whole exam on AD, 290 is very much a need to know a bit about everything.

If you put in the work you shouldn't have a problem, jsut don't think you can pass it without spending a lot of time on the material and familiarising yourself with the OS itself as part of the exam is simulation which requires the real world knowledge.

If you 'really' want to pass then spend a few quick on a test king doc, pretty much guaranteed to pass then.

Good Luck!

Better than yours. C*nt.
Group scope is fairly simple:

A-G-U-DL-P - or alternatively 'A Gud LP'

As for functional level, as far as 70-290 is concerned there's very little difference between 2000 Native and Server 2003, however in 2000 Mixed Mode and Windows Server 2003 Interim you can't use Universal groups. 2003 functional level adds lots in the way of object property management and tools such as rendom...

As far as I can remember, I'm in the middle of 70-291 at the moment and getting headaches about IP addresses. :(

dk

911 GTS Cab
Group scope is fairly simple:

A-G-U-DL-P - or alternatively 'A Gud LP'

As for functional level, as far as 70-290 is concerned there's very little difference between 2000 Native and Server 2003, however in 2000 Mixed Mode and Windows Server 2003 Interim you can't use Universal groups. 2003 functional level adds lots in the way of object property management and tools such as rendom...

As far as I can remember, I'm in the middle of 70-291 at the moment and getting headaches about IP addresses. :(
lol, i hated the ip's in 291, especially subnetting etc.

I'll let you into a little secret, you'll get 1 question, 2 MAX on it so don't labour on it, there are bigger fish to fry!

I'm currently doing 291 too and the subnetting is the hardest part. Although there seems to be less to remember for this exam than 290 (I've forgotten alot of it already since I've done the exam)

Defo take practice tests before the exam!

dk

911 GTS Cab
like i said, don't worry about subnetting too much, you get 1 or 2 questions max, biggest let down of my life after spending too much time on it myself.

^Yeah I figured that, but part of me wants to understand it anyway since it could be useful for my future career. Suppose I can work on that later though get the exams out of the way first.

Any other tips would be great :)

Fiesta ST2
did my 70-290 a few months back, alot of people say brain dumps dont work but if you can find pass4sure brain dump its really good. It taught me several things i didnt know, reading the pass4sure brain dump + studying made the exam simple!

Thanks for the tips guys, spent a fair while reading a sybex book and a MS press one my manager let me borrow, also took a look at the testking and pass4sure, pleased to say 3 days ago I got 94% (942 I think mark) really chuffed, the sims were tricky but even them had a reset button if you made a error. Going to try an pass the network+ this month so i can get the HP ais before the test changes in aug.

Yeah just keep reading and set up some virtual servers to play with thats what I did.
Yea did this too with ms virtual server, had 4 xp clients an 2 domain controllers, works great setting them up for remote desktop think i will keep them for future.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Thanks for the tips guys, spent a fair while reading a sybex book and a MS press one my manager let me borrow, also took a look at the testking and pass4sure, pleased to say 3 days ago I got 94% (942 I think mark) really chuffed, the sims were tricky but even them had a reset button if you made a error. Going to try an pass the network+ this month so i can get the HP ais before the test changes in aug.
if its a proliant AIS i'm sure you need an MCSA now?

When i did mine you only needed an MCP and network + but for the 2007 versions (ML/DL and Blade) i'm sure you need an MCSA and then for the ASE you need an MCSE.

I have the 2007 Blade ASE and am just about to work towards my storage ase as I have the AIS but need to get MASE to enable me to install eva 8100's.

if its a proliant AIS i'm sure you need an MCSA now?

When i did mine you only needed an MCP and network + but for the 2007 versions (ML/DL and Blade) i'm sure you need an MCSA and then for the ASE you need an MCSE.

I have the 2007 Blade ASE and am just about to work towards my storage ase as I have the AIS but need to get MASE to enable me to install eva 8100's.
Yep thats the one dk the AIS on proliants, after the 1st of Aug the current 2005 ais is turned off (the one which has the 70-290 and network+ as a prerequisit) thats why im gunning it at the mo and get if before then. I should then beable to take the upgrade path if I wanted the 2007 versions (the ml/dl one should be automatically upgraded to it, the blades need another exam, just a web based one I think). Sooner get it now than need the mcsa after aug first. Any tips you got for me fella would be great, got the network+ and the HP ais exam (code hp0-055).