ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Stupid question about handbrakes

Clio 172 Mk2

Hi all, I dont know a great deal about cars so dont laugh :)

I have a problem with my handbrake\parking brake on my car.

Is there any reason why the cable would strech without me straining the handbrake. Every couple of weeks or so the handbrake seems to be loose and needs to get pulled up more and more for the brake to be applied. Obviously the more I pull it up, the more its streching the cable and making it worse, but i cant afford my car to be rolling down a hill

When I first got the car it was about 4-5 clicks, now its 6-7, but the last two clicks are quite a distance away from the first four.

Does anyone else have this problem? or have I just shagged the cable and need it replacing?

Clio 172 Mk2

Cheers for the help chaps

I have only had the car just coming upto three months and it was fine, im really hacked off that i have screwed it up already.

On my last car i had the same problem with the handbrake and i only had that car for a year and it started going and I got it fixed, few months down the line and the problem is starting happening again, Im not putting any force in pulling it up so I must be doing something wrong, but cant figure out what

cheers for the replys