ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub Positioning

Clio 1.2
I'm a bit confused about where to position the sub in my boot.
Facing the Front of the car?
Facing the back?
Drivers side?
Passengers side?
Central?

i never use my boot, so space isnt an issue

Any help would be much appreciated :)
thanks
-alex

Works...kind of...
Doesn't make a difference, where ever suits you really.

Not entirely. It depends on the size of box and if it's sealed or ported.

If you have a small sealed box (like most people) then refer to the above post.

If you have a rather large ported box, have the sub facing the boot lid. This means the bass 'loads' off the boot which then makes the bass travel through the car better.

vaux cavalier
OK, placement in comparrison to listening position does indeed make a difference..... sub firing direction also makes a difference.... if using a ported enclosure, port firing direction also makes a difference.... if using a ported enclosure lying flat firing horizontally, then the port being above or below the subs also makes a difference.... In general terms; in a hatchback.... 1, loudest/best position----directly behind the driver firing horizontally at the tailgate.... 2, worst/quietest position----passenger side rear quarter firing across the boot from side to side.... You need to be a certain distance away from the sub to allow the wave to form properly, this is why boot only installs always sound better bass wise than a walled install....try listening to your cars bass from behind the car, then again from in front of your car....it will sound much nicer at the front because the wave form has travelled further and so is better formed.....

Last edited:
  vaux cavalier
isnt bass omnidirectional?!

Yes, once you get below around 80hz direction does become difficult to pick out.....But were not talking about direction, were talking about distance & quality.....if you have a sub in your car, walk around it whilst its playing, you will hear the difference for yourself....