ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub......

Skoda Fabia vRS

im thinkin of gettin a sub an makin a boot build

what would you guys suggest for around £180.........sub an amp

id like the sub to be Kicker or Kenwood......or one of the makes that dont make HUs, like JL Audio

i was thinkin of a Kicker Competition 12".......which ive seen for £80

the amp might not matter cos i think im gonna hide em in the build

im not lookin for somethin thats gonna vibrate my car to bits, jus summat good for the money

Skoda Fabia vRS

hmmm, Magnat seem to do some pretty good value stuff, anyone got any opinions on there stuff ?

Hi Mate

i would go for a single 12" if you are only after 1 sub. The Kicker is a good choice for SQ and at that kind of price you cant grumble. Obviously you would have to get a box for it though.

£180 is pushing it for an amp and sub but I would get the Kicker sub and a box. If you still have £100 for an amp after buying these 2 then i would go for one of the old Alpine 2 channel amps as they put out a decent amount of power for little cash.

The Magnat subs are good but seems to need more power than the Kicker to get it moving properly.

Hope this helps

Russ
(Evil ICE Car Audio)

Skoda Fabia vRS

hey Russ, how much could you do me that Kicker sub for

and im thinkin of possibly makin the box myself

Alrite brun, its col. i dont rate them kicker comps as ive been through two of them, the jbl is well better mate, and i could get you one of them for 80 notes, there 105 full price.

take care mate

col

as for the sub its personal choice, ive got 2 kciker impulse 15s in the back of mine and it drops big time. i love em to bits.

as for the amp, goto halfords and they do some by rm audio, ive got a 400w 2 channel version runnin BOTH my 15s and no one ever believes me till they see it.

wicked amp
no problems and runnin a single 12 it will do the business big time, my one was about a 100 notes, can geta lesser one for 90 i think and a sage up for 120

Skoda Fabia vRS

ive heard of RM Audio before but i thought it was really cheap stuff like SPL at MotorWorld

yup i thought the same till my bro bought one

listen to my system some time and decide if its "cheap"

im hopefully gettin it db tested this weekend or tomoro so ill let u know what it gives out

I would also make the box yourself. Draw up some plans to the right spec and get someone like B&Q to do all the cuts for you....makes life easy.

As for RM audio..well they might sound ok but if you turn the gains up too high on the amp then you will eventually fry the voicecoils. For good db results and a long life on your subs you need a good clean power supply. Ive been through enough cheap amps and subs in my time. At the end of the day. If something is cheap, theres a reason why its cheap.

I would stick with one of the major brands for the amp brun. I can get hold of the Kicker Comp VR subs for £89 if youre interested.

Cheers

Russ
Evil ICE Car Audio

Skoda Fabia vRS

well what do you think of em Russ, cos i know Cols had two of em give up on him, an his JBL sounds mint

Personally i think the VRs are ok as long as they are ran in sealed enclosures. If you port them they can get too much excursion and snap the voicecoil if they havent been run in properly. As long as youre sensible with the gains on the amp you should be ok.

Is the JBL the Loud and Clear version (BLack with White JBL on centre cap). If so they are a budget sub but can actually sound alright in the correct box on the right amp. I think they retail for about £79 in Motorworld and places like that.

Cheers

Russ

Oh right. If its the one with the orange logo then thats the old type GTO one that they dont make any more. They were around when the old Power Series were around.You see a lot of them in SPL cars because they are cheap and people dont mind blowing them. They are about £60 each these days. They arent bad subs actually.

Have you decided which one youre going for yet?

it is black with orange jbl, but its defo not 60 quid mate, its a new one for 2002. this ones got the bigger magnet, i know the one your on about though mate, but im not well in to me sterios but like a nice sound, im bob on at installing them though, just not prepered to put loads of money into then. but the kicker comps ive had were bad so i got this one and it sounds sh*t hot for the equiptment i have. were you from evilice? and r you going to the rr day in sept that brun has organised, id like to see your set up mate, evil must mean loud, lol
take care lads
col

aint spl, soundstream, or am i confused. i have two soundstream 12inch subs in my car, my mate paid around £250 each for them, the sound quality form them is amazing, i get 120db out of them with my sh*t kenwood amp, borrowed my mates alpine v12 and it was up in the 130s thats without setting the amp up properly.

Col: sorry mate, i didnt realise it was the new version you had. Ive not heard any of the new range apart from the big 5000 watt thing so i couldnt comment. Wheres the rolling road being held then? If the demo car has its gearbox in by then then yes ill be there. At the moment i can only get reverse which might look a bit stupid on the motorway. For the main specs on the demo car system please visit www.evilice.freeservers.com and go to the customers installs section (more pics coming shortly)

SPL are a budget brand. They sell subs around the £29 mark..obviously top quality stuff. Soundstream on the other hand make some superb products which is similar quality and price to Genesis.

Russ
Evil ICE Car Audio

Skoda Fabia vRS

hmmmm, i really would like a Kicker, cos my 6x9s an amp are Kicker

Russ, do you think it would be ok

Col......why did those 2 you had bugger up ?

Skoda Fabia vRS

oh an Russ, the RR Day is on 14th September, its in Bury, Manchester

Dazz is comin, but he hasnt paid me yet HINT HINT !!!

there aint any spaces left if everyone pays up......but 3 havent and ive been tryin to get it off em for 2 weeks now

so if they dont end up payin your free to take there place

evilice: lol at going in reverse, i wouldnt mind havin a ganders of your demo car mate hope you can make it, cause the more the merryer. and brun mate, ive no idear why them kickers went bang, the gain was on 1/4 and zero base so it was my mate who said get it out of the car, hes stopped selling kickers now and sent them all back. he does spl, jbl, alpine, and pro plus subs now. mines the pro power GT3 12" which as you know it kicks. i know what you mean though about keeping it the same, cause i was like you until i got fed up with the farking that kicker did so i sacraficed and went different and its boss now, just wouldnt like you to blow one cause you wouldnt get a new one weres my mate was sorting me. alot of places send you away accusing you of overloading the sub cause they dont want to swap it.

nice one lads

col

I would say the kickers will be fine. I run a couple of solobaric 15s in a sealed enclosure. Obviously they are more to the top of the scale but ive never known anyone that has had any problems with Kicker stuff. For the price you can get one for, go for it. Just make sure you run it in properly. I would say a 20Hz test tone on half volume for about 6 hours should do the trick.

Regarding the rolling road. I would really like to go but to be honest Nick @ Hill Power will have my car for about a week and its not going in til the 9th. Plus the inside of the car is looking a right state since i got it back from the bodyshop. It will be getting a recarpet, a good clean..oh and some seats..cos there aint any

Cheers for the offer though. Hope it goes well. Let me know when anything else crops up around October time. Speaking of which, arent the Hill Power open days normally in October or November or something..ill be at that for sure.

Russ
Evil ICE Car Audio

Skoda Fabia vRS

yea ill be attending that, i might be up at Hill Power next Thursday, i really need to go before the RR day

ill decide properly when i next get paid, see how much i get, but thanks for the advice as always an when i am buyin one ill give you a shout see what you can do for me