ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A FEW BASIC AUDIO QUESTIONS ANSWERED;

vaux cavalier
this is a copy of a thread i did on another forum, hope you find it useful.
beer.gif

a few basic questions answered whilst i'm not busy.
when installing amps;

1, how do i know what size power cable to run?

the answer in basic terms is;

add up the on board fuses on each amp you are going to use, say your mono amp (for the sub/subs), is fused with 2x 40amp fuses,(80amps in total), and your second amp,(for the fronts or fronts & rears), is fused with 2x 30amps,(60amps in total), then you can work on the assumption your maximum current draw is going to be 80+60=140amps, so with this setup you would require 0awg power & earth cable.

2, how do i know what size fuses i require?

the answer is;

the actual cable rating denotes the required fuse rating, you must remember you are fusing the cable and not the amp, as an example;

if running a 0awg power cable from the battery to the boot then the required fuse should be higher than the load,(current draw from the amps etc), but lower than the cables rating.
so with a max current draw of 140amps, and a cable rating of 250amps, you would use a fuse of 200amps. this fuse should be mounted as close to the battery as possible.

3, why do i get engine whine through my speakers?

the main cause of alternator whine is poor earths, you should always select a good earthing point, i recommend the boot floor,be careful when drilling to avoid the fuel lines/tank, electrics & brake pipes, clean the area back to bare metal and use a nut & bolt, you should avoid using, seat belt anchor points, rear light cluster earthing points, rear seat hinge bolts.

4, where can i mount my amplifier?

when mounting your amp/amps i would recommend you avoid placing them in direct line with your sub, a sub firing directly into an amp will eventually cause damage due to excess vibration. you should also avoid mounting amps on the outer faces of the sub enclosure, this will also expose the amp to excess vibration.
you should also avoid mounting the amp upside down or at any angle beyond the vertical,(on rear seat backs for example), this is because of the heatsink. the amps heatsink is designed so that when it heats up, the warmed air rises and draws in cooler air from the ends, this cooler air then cools the heatsink, becomes warmer air and rises away and so the cycle continues, however if the amp is mounted incorrectly the warmed air rises into the amps internals and can't escape, because it can't escape it can't pull any cooler air in, and so the amp runs hot, and can cause the amp to trip into thermal protection.

5, when installing multi amps can i daisy chain the remote switch on lead.

if using two amps then this shouldn't be a problem, if however you require your remote lead to operate on say, two amps, a sound processor, dvd unit, etc etc then i would recommend the use of a relay, using the remote lead as the switching supply.

6, fed up with amps now so lets move onto headunits and distortion;

1, the average headunit is fused at 10amps, these 10amps at any one time are supplying;
cd laser
cd drive motor
cd laser carriage
unit illumination
flashy graphic display panel
and eventually the internal amplifier

when playing a full range signal the internal amplifier will require more power than it would if it were say playing a signal high passed at 100hz, so to translate this into basic terms, the more bass you ask your headunit to play, the more likely it is to distort,(this is due to voltage drop in the headunit, not poor speakers).

a simple test;
play a dynamic cd, gently increase the volume until you can hear distortion, now lower the bass settings on your headunit and the distortion will stop, now increase the volume again, it should play at an increased volume without distortion.

a speaker can only reproduce what it recieves, if it recieves a good strong signal, it will reproduce a clean clear sound, if it recieves a weak signal thats ragged it will reproduce poor ragged sound,(distortion). the higher excursion that is required for lower frequencies demands a stronger signal,(which is why sub amps have higher rms ratings), and unfortunately headunits just don't have that kind of power.

when selecting a new headunit you should take into consideration exactly what you require from it. in most cases if you are fitting a headunit and using it to drive stock speakers you will notice an improvement in sound quality and output level, however if you decide to upgrade the speakers at the same time you may find its not as loud or warm,(bassy).

most people when they detect distortion in the stock audio system run down the local audio outlet and purchase uprated speakers, then discover that it still doesn't sound any better, so they then assume the problem is that the headunit is still too powerful for the new speakers, when in truth the opposite is correct, the headunit is not powerfull enough.

pointers on speaker selection;

speakers being driven by a headunit without a sub installed

these should be rated at around 20watts rms, either component or coaxial, capable of playing down to around 45hz with a sensitivity of 93db+.

speakers being driven by a headunit with a sub installed

these should be rated at around 30watts rms, preferably components, capable of playing down to around 70hz with a sensitivity of around 91db+.

speakers being driven by an external amp without a sub installed

these should be rated at around 70watts rms, definitely components, capable of playing down to around 45hz with a sensitivity of 90db+

speakers being driven by an external amp with a sub installed

these should be rated at around 90watts rms, definitely components, capable of playing down to 70hz with a sensitivity of at least 89db+

to supply rearfill, for those that want it, should be done using small coaxial speakers.

now to the dreaded 6x9 debate.
these should be used where the fitting of a sub is not desired or possible. they should not be fitted in parcel shelves with their cones sharing the same air as a sub or subs. if you decide you want 6x9's in the back they should be fitted so that you can enclose their baskets to afford them protection from the sub/s.
as previously stated a speaker reproduces sound according to a signal it recieves, to reproduce that sound correctly the speakers cone needs to react naturally to the signal, but when you have a sub firing massive shock waves through the boot it reacts to those shock waves causing poor sound reproduction. you can actually see this happen if you have 6x9's mounted in a shelf above a sub, all you do is disconnect the negative speaker wire off each 6x9 speaker, shut the hatch and play your music, watch the 6x9's cone, it will pulse with the beat, the louder you go the further it will move. this movement affects sound reproduction, causes the voice coils to work harder, which causes heat build up, which in turn promotes premature speaker faliure.

when fitting 6x9's into a car, if they are fitted correctly, and driven by an external amp they are a decent alternative to a sub, but when driven with a headunit they sound crass and harsh.

7, sound deadening on the cheap

when fitting a sub into your car i would recommend sound deadening the following;
1, boot floor
2, rear quarter panels
3, rear hatch panel
4, boot sides

the difference between a car thats deadened and a car thats not is truly amazing, it seems so much warmer and louder, all the sound thats lost through thin panels is held in the car, thin panels no longer resonnate and so it sounds cleaner.

when doing budget jobs i always use,"wickses high tack flashing tape", its not as good as dynamat or similar but it certainly makes a difference at a fraction of the price.
i would also recommend doing the front doors, its easy to do this when fitting new speakers, just cut tape into small strips and apply it to the outer panel through the holes in the inner panel. when you are satisfied with the outer panel you can then do the inner panel taking care not to foul any levers or operating rods.

when installing speakers always try to use mdf baffles, and where the baffles join the mounting surface seal it with grip fill or similar.

hope you have found the above useful, if not i hope you found it interesting lol.

8, the art of speaker & amplifier matching

firstly i should point out that when selecting speakers or amplifiers you should ignore max output figures, they are misleading and rarely accurate. you should however take note of the rated figures,(commonly noted as RMS figures).
the RMS figures refer to the output that the unit can output continuously.

secondly, i should point out that recording levels vary from source to source, so for example a 50hz test tone recorded at 0db,(the highest possible level), will play extremely loud, where as the same test tone recorded at -3db will play at around half the volume. this sliding scale can become extremely confusing so i'm not going to go there lol.

so in effect a 50watt rms amp will deliver 50watts rms when playing a test tone recorded at 0db, but will deliver much less if playing a test tone recorded at -3db.

if you were to represent a test tone on paper it would be a straight horizontal line.
if you were to represent music in the same manner it would be a series of peaks and dips, now because the maximum recording level is 0db, the peaks would be recorded at 0db, everything else would be recorded at a lower level, giving a much lower average output. so because of this when selecting equipment you should bear in mind what you will be playing.

so i always take note of the speakers rms figures, then select an amp that is rated at least 25% higher, so if i was selecting a mono amp to drive a sub, i would check the subs rms figure, say its 300watts rms, i would then look for an amp capable of delivering at least 375watts rms into the correct impedence, the same applies to all amps and speakers. this is referred to as,"headroom".

vaux cavalier
GENERAL ADVICE ON POWER ISSUES

do i need a powercap?
the general opinion held by 95% of the halfords, motorworld, motormania etc etc brigade is that for every 1000watts rms you require at least a 1 farad cap to avoid dimming lights, this is rubbish. by its very nature the power supply in any car fluctuates up and down and in some instances this can affect sound quality,(i'm talking competition level sq here), in these applications powercaps can be used, not to bolster, but to smooth out, the power delivery.

dimming headlights.
this is caused by voltage drop in the power supply, by adding an extra item that requires constant charging,(a powercap), you are simply masking the problem for a few seconds, as soon as the cap is discharged it must recharge, placing yet another strain on the cars charge circuit. if you were to connect a headlight bulb up to a 1 farad cap, how long do you believe the bulb would be illuminated for? seconds, minutes, or maybe hours,(its actually seconds).

whats the best way to avoid dimming lights?
1, turn the stereo down.
2, turn the lights off.

or;

read on.

the most logical place to start is the battery, how many of you out there have simply purchased an amp wiring kit, ran the power cable through the car, connected it up and thought, job done. well unfortunately it isn't. a statement that is true with all electrical circuits is;

YOU CAN'T TAKE OUT, WHAT YOU CAN'T PUT BACK IN.
to explain in basic terms;
imagine a tank of water,(your battery), this tank is being emptied using a hose pipe,(your audio power cable), the same water is running back into the tank,(your battery), through a drinking straw,(your cars standard battery earth cable), now obviously the water,(current), will only flow as fast as the smallest pipe will allow,(in this case the drinking straw), so a bottleneck develops where the hose,(audio power cable), meets the drinking straw,(stock vehicle's battery earth lead).

so although you are running correctly sized and fused power cable, the circuit will be restricted by the battery to chassis earth cable.

so in the quest for better power follow this advice;
1, always fit an extra earth to your battery,(at least the same size as your new power cable).
2, uprate your alternators batt charge lead,(reduces resistance and gives a slight improvement).
3, uprate the alternators earth if fitted.
4, uprate the engine/gearbox to chassis earth.

HTH someone.

a little advice for sub enclosures;

there are a few ways you can improve a subs performance in any given enclosure.

1, try adding a 1" thick layer of fibrous material,(fibrefill, pillow stuffing, loft insulation), to all internal faces of a ported enclosure, this will dissipate the soundwaves bouncing around inside the box, as previously stated pressure waves reacting with a speakers cone can cause poor quality and heat build up in the coils. with this layer added the sub will handle more power and give cleaner lower bass.

2, try loosely filling a sealed enclosure with fibrous material,(for this i use loft insulation), this will make the sub behave as if its in a larger enclosure, with the added bonus of higher power handling, a sub mounted in an enclosure like this will play lower and with more power.

vaux cavalier
lets cover basic amp setting up by ear.

ok, going to assume i'm setting up a system comprising off;

a 4ch amp driving front speakers off the front ch's and a sub bridged off the rear ch's.

basic settings to start with;
headunit;
bass---at "0"
treble---at"0"
any factory preset eq's---off
any added bass circuits---off
graphic or parametric eq's---flatline at"0"
any media expansion circuits---off,(these are used to improve mp3 playback quality).
bass boost features---off

amplifier;
front ch's;
crossover switch---set to high pass
gain control---set to min
freq control---set to approx 100hz
stereo/mono switch---set to stereo

rear ch's;
crossover switch---set to low pass
gain control---set to min
freq control---set to approx 80hz
stereo/mono switch---set to mono
bass boost circuitry---set to min or off

now your ready to begin;
to avoid problems associated with your headunit running out off power and supplying a clipped signal you should select as your max volume a point approx 20% below max, so if using a scale that goes from 0 up to 35,(like alpine's), you should treat say 30 as your max "safe" volume.

so go somewhere where your not going to offend people, select your headunits safe volume and play a 1khz test tone,(you can download it from link previously supplied), on repeat.
on your amp's front settings adjust the gain control upwards until the test tone changes, this change is where your amp is clipping, now back off the gain slightly so the tone is playing as normal again, thats the front's gain set

now play a 50hz test tone,(again downloaded from previous link), and adjust the rear ch's gain in the same manner, as you hear distortion back off slightly, thats the rear's gain set.

now play a dynamic cd that you are familiar with to adjust the crossover freq's to your taste.

when complete you should have a basic setting that you can tweak to get it as you want it, this won't take 10min's, it will probably take day's.

to balance the bass to your front end you should always alter the highest one, so if your fronts drown out your sub, then lower the gain on the fronts, if the sub drowns out the fronts, then lower the subs gain control.

you should bear in mind that you have set the gains using a source recorded at 0db, so if you will only be playing music you could in theory increase the gains slightly to give a higher output.

hope you find this useful---wallop

vaux cavalier
a few basic facts regarding OHM'S LAW

the ohm is a measure of impedence, this can become confusing so i will keep it basic.

if an amp is producing 50watts rms into 4ohm's, it will produce 100watts rms into 2ohm's, so if you halve the impedence,(ohm's), the output doubles.

the same amp at 4ohm's is drawing say 25amps current, at 2ohm's its draw will also double to 50amps, so if you halve the impedence, the draw,(power needed), will double as does the output.

if wiring either a dual voice coil sub or two or more subs in series you would add the ohm's value off each coil together, for example;
1_4ohmDVC_8ohm.gif

2_4ohmSVC_8ohm-1.gif

if wiring the same subs in parallel, you would halve the ohm's value
1_4ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

2_4ohmSVC_2ohm.gif

any question's----lol.

just in case anyone out there should require test tones and bass tracks to aid in setting up your systems, follow the link;

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/downloads.htm
HTH

vaux cavalier
ok, over the last few weeks i have seen a number of cars that have split charged boot batteries. the vast majority,(in fact all but one), have been wired correctly but with woefully inadequate cabling/fusing.

apparently, the main culprit seems to be the,"over the counter split charge kit".

thought i had best offer some advice in the hope it saves anyone else being caught out!!

in these kits you get a 180amp split charge relay, so by definition the suppliers are expecting,(quite correctly), large current surges/draws. but for some reason these same suppliers include either 10awg or 8awg power cable
confused.gif
with 30amp fusing
eek.gif

in the interests of safety i always follow the basic rule that all power cable should be capable of handling the max possible current draw, (which includes the battery connecting cable), and fused accordingly.

had a young lad last week who purchased one of these kits from a reputable local I.C.E. outlet along with a JL AUDIO 12W7 and JL AUDIO 1000/1 amp, he had fitted it correctly and duly visited the local haunts of the young boomers. he played his system for around 25 mins at moderate volume with no issues. when it came to driving home he simply started the car and drove away....his system shut down halfway home because of a flat boot battery. the poor kid thought he had toasted his system because everytime he replaced the 30amp fuse in the split charge circuit, it blew as soon as he tried to start the car...

the problem is, on initial start up of the car, not only does the alternator try to charge the rear battery, so does the fully charged starter battery,(i have seen 200amp breakers trip on startup before
eek.gif
), so a puny 30amp fuse coupled with cable rated at 30amps over 5mtrs doesn't stand a chance
lmao.gif

so, if theres a slight possibility of your system being used when the car is not running, use at least 4awg power cable fused at 80amps,(you can stretch this to 100amps if needed), if you will definitely be using your system with the car not running, then 0awg is really your only option,(but do not exceed the relays ampage with power cable fusing)....

EDIT; forgot to mention, the split charge relay should be mounted inside the car to protect it from the elements...

heres a quick sketch which should help you avoid this issue...
SPLITCHARGEWIRING.jpg

user_online.gif
report.gif
progress.gif
edit.gif

vaux cavalier
BASIC POWER SUPPLY INFO

There are two basic parameters used when working out which size cable you require;
1, The SAFETY angle, (bare minimum)...
2, The PERFORMANCE angle, (limits voltage drop)...

I would always recommend you follow the PERFORMANCE angle, this covers SAFETY and limits voltage drop....

A FEW POINTERS;
1, Always ADD an extra Battery to Chassis Earth to match your new power cable, (You can't take out what you can't put back in)....
2, Keep power & earth cables as short as possible, (power cable should follow shortest route from battery to amps)....
3, Car Chassis are good for earthing approx 350amps, (if total max boot draw is in excess of 300amps then I recommend earthing back to battery via multiple cable runs)....

Heres a cable chart based on Performance
wirechart.jpg
To work out your amps power requirements the easiest way is to simply add all on board fuses together, so an amp carrying 3 X 40amp fuses would have a max draw of 120amps, if working out a main batt to boot power cable simply add all on board fusing from each amp to give an overall max draw, then simply fit the correct guage cable for that given length.....

You can, with experience, modify power cables in accordance with actual source material being played, there are so many variables you can take into account that it can get confusing.....

Its a similar concept when marketing staff or sales staff start preaching about amplifier output, for example how many have been caught out with the old 4 X 60w head unit rubbish, I think the most powerful unit I've come across was delivering 4 X 15w rms on 0dB tones, (which dropped to 4 X 9w rms on music)....

Amplifier output is logarythmic, they don't start pulling huge draws until output is approaching high volume levels, for example an amp at half output will be drawing much less than half a similar amp at full tilt....

Another example;

Boot system playing 0dB tones at full tilt = 100amp draw
Boot system playing music at full tilt = approx 50amp to 60amp draw

Polo + Micra
if you were to represent a test tone on paper it would be a straight horizontal line.

ummm something wrong there but thats DC.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
wallop helping once again some great info there.

regarding the flashing tape, isit worth doing the inside of a sealed sub box?
and a link for something simalar as there is no match on the wickes website

Focus RS Mk1
im sure that when working out current for the power cable you dont just add up the fuse rating on the amp. i read this somewhere recently too. just off the top of my head.

as i said to you before, 0awg power cable for a twin amp setup (fairly low current like 80A for a mono and 40A for 2channel) doesnt require 0 awg.

seroius amount of overkill

vaux cavalier

ummm something wrong there but thats DC.

What is it with you & DC????

If you don't grasp the analogy then say so.....

Just for you;
if you were to represent music in the same manner it would be a series of peaks and dips, now because the maximum recording level is 0db, the peaks would be recorded at 0db, everything else would be recorded at a lower level, giving a much lower average output. so because of this when selecting equipment you should bear in mind what you will be playing.
As in constant output with no fluctuation, no increase or decrease in output volume, a straight horizontal imaginary line.....

if you were to represent music in the same manner it would be a series of peaks and dips
So, bass hits, output increases to a peak, no bass, output dips, no background music output decreases causing a dip...

because the maximum recording level is 0db, the peaks would be recorded at 0db, everything else would be recorded at a lower level, giving a much lower average output
Thats ^ pretty much self explanatory.....But, just to clarify,

A basic sketch, Hope you understand now;

trace.jpg

vaux cavalier
im sure that when working out current for the power cable you dont just add up the fuse rating on the amp. i read this somewhere recently too. just off the top of my head.

as i said to you before, 0awg power cable for a twin amp setup (fairly low current like 80A for a mono and 40A for 2channel) doesnt require 0 awg.

seroius amount of overkill

1, how do i know what size power cable to run?

the answer in basic terms is;

add up the on board fuses on each amp you are going to use, say your mono amp (for the sub/subs), is fused with 2x 40amp fuses,(80amps in total), and your second amp,(for the fronts or fronts & rears), is fused with 2x 30amps,(60amps in total), then you can work on the assumption your maximum current draw is going to be 80+60=140amps, so with this setup you would require 0awg power & earth cable.
This BASIC formula was to cover all the bases, if you wish to be exact in your working out then lets play....

By using the quoted method your avoiding issues like impedance, source material rec levels, and such, your simply fitting a cable which will supply enough current over a given length with minimal voltage drop.....No matter what your running off the amp.....

The average distance between a car bettery and its boot is say 3mtrs, (that fair???), 4awg at 3 mtrs carrying upto 120amps will lose voltage, lost voltage is lost output...

I always fit cable with performance in mind, if you cover the performance then you've certainly covered safety....

Last edited:
  vaux cavalier
wallop helping once again some great info there.

regarding the flashing tape, isit worth doing the inside of a sealed sub box?
and a link for something simalar as there is no match on the wickes website

I've never tried deadening an enclosure before, I usually opt for bracing & wadding.....

I use B&Q loft insulation, (the one thats lighter in colour, yellow more than orange), its easy to do, simply cut one piece the same size as the largest face of the enclosure.....place this inside the enclosure and fluff it right up, it will fill the enclosure once its fluffed up.....simply cut out the area needed for the subs basket assembly, (this prevents the sub from flattening it back down), and thread the speaker cable through to the sub, connect up, put sub in place and tighten down.....

HERE YOU GO< FLASHING TAPE

Ph1 172 + Combo van
cheers wallop you know your stuff!

people always try and contest what your saying, i dont know why

vaux cavalier
cheers wallop you know your stuff!

people always try and contest what your saying, i dont know why

Don't know why they contest, don't really care till I'm proven wrong, (Been playing with car audio for a few years now), total failures to date, just 1, input stage on my 4ch amp failed a few weeks back.....but I was running it hard....

There are a number of factors which affect an amplifiers final output, the largest single denominator is voltage, if the voltage is low, so is the final output....

I can understand a person asking questions, but when people simply state your wrong and offer no reasonable explanation it gets a little tiresome.....

Then you prove your point and they slink away until the next time you post advice.....

Polo + Micra
look up on google what a SINE wave is.

wtf do you think it is given a frequency when it doesn't change??

or would you like me to take a photo of a 50Hz test tone on a CRO???

vaux cavalier
look up on google what a SINE wave is.

wtf do you think it is given a frequency when it doesn't change??

or would you like me to take a photo of a 50Hz test tone on a CRO???

Hello DC, How you doing today.....

Try to understand it is an ANALOGY.....to put over a point in basic terms....

I've not drawn a SINE WAVE.....

A BASIC explanation why amplifiers playing music will not attain full output....

You don't agree obviously.....

Would you answer this for me....

Why do sine waves always play louder than music when recorded at similar levels???

Polo + Micra
due to the fact the recording level is set by the highest level and that music wouldn't be music if was sung/played at all the same level.

vaux cavalier
due to the fact the recording level is set by the highest level and that music wouldn't be music if was sung/played at all the same level.

But a sine wave has peaks and troughs, or are you agreeing the sine wave is a continuous level.....ie 0dB....

Polo + Micra
all sine waves have peaks and troughs (music and pure tones)

just pure tones have a regular rise and fall between the two limits of it's output

and music change in height and distance apart

vaux cavalier
all sine waves have peaks and troughs (music and pure tones)

just pure tones have a regular rise and fall between the two limits of it's output

and music change in height and distance apart

Would it be fair to represent the recording level, (0dB), of a SINE WAVE as a straight horizontal line.....

Polo + Micra
not really no as it isn't

i'd say you would have to have a picture as they say a 1000 words

vaux cavalier
You've already had a pic and went off on one about it not representing a SINE WAVE.....

So, I'm wrong, it's not fair to depict a recording level using a straight horizontal line.....

A continuous tone recorded at 0dB being played at a given volume should not be represented as a straight horizontal line...how should it be represented on paper for the masses to get the point????

OK....

Perhaps you could explain where my ANALOGY falls on its ass....

ive been watching all your threads and sorry wallop but since youve been on here you seem to be v.cocky and arrogant and dont like being quesioned by anyone else regardless of their knowledge-or lack of knowledge you seem to claim people have.i would never claim to know about some of the stuff you are doing however you dont need to be so arrogant about it

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
sorry matt but have to disagree... i know he is coming across as arrogant but this between him and dink is only a bit of banter really.
i wired in quiet a big set up for my friend yesterday and used most/all the info wallop has posted and worked a treat.

vaux cavalier
ive been watching all your threads and sorry wallop but since youve been on here you seem to be v.c**ky and arrogant and dont like being quesioned by anyone else regardless of their knowledge-or lack of knowledge you seem to claim people have.i would never claim to know about some of the stuff you are doing however you dont need to be so arrogant about it

I'm cocky & arrogant, OK your entitled to your opinion.....

POWER CABLE THREAD read my first post in this thread and point out to me where I recommended 0awg for a single amp????

My response is post 11, maybe a little cocky, maybe a little arrogant....

Then my mate Mr Dink, AMP HELP another thread where I'm accused of making recommendations I shouldn't do.....

The point being argued in this thread is simply, I used an ANALOGY to explain a point relating to amplifier output in relation to a given sources recording level.....

I have asked Mr Dink to point out where my ANALOGY fails, I have asked Mr Dink to explain it himself.....so far he hasn't.....

Just for the record I'm not arrogant, I'm not cocky.....I'm simply opinionated:D

Polo + Micra
what I'm saying is that you can't just say a 50Hz sine wave is a flat line then say music isn't flat even if it just an ANALOGY

vaux cavalier
what I'm saying is that you can't just say a 50Hz sine wave is a flat line then say music isn't flat even if it just an ANALOGY

The flat line represents the percieved volume level of a sine wave, as in it maintains output or a given voltage across the amps output terminals....

If you play a 0dB 50hz sine wave at full volume through an amp and take a voltage reading off the output terminals the voltage will remain constant, (this is how JL AUDIO recommend you set the gain controls on their amplifiers), this is because output is constant, it doesn't rise or fall, so theoretically this can be shown as a horizontal straight line......

Now play a music track at the same volume setting and watch the voltage reading, it will rise and fall in accordance with the music, this reading can't be represented by a straight line, you can however gain an average reading which again can be represented as a straight line.......

So, in pic;

Flat black horizontal lines represent output level, volume level, output voltage of a sine wave, no change in voltage = no fluctuation in output so no peaks or dips in line.....THIS IS NOT A PIC OF A SINE WAVE.....

Jagged red line represents output level, volume level, output voltage of recorded music, frequent changes in voltage = lots of changes in output, so plenty of peaks and dips in line.....THIS IS NOT A PIC OF A SINE WAVE.....

Flat blue line represents average output level, volume level, output voltage of recorded music, lower average output voltage = amplifier will never reach rated output.....So to gain full potential from speakers opt for a larger amp....
trace2.jpg

Please note, I'm not being cocky, I'm not being arrogant.....
I don't consider Mr Dink to be slow, less knowledgeable or thick, his mind is simply full of techno babble which won't let him grasp just how basic or simple this ANALOGY is.....The fact he's willing to disagree shows he at least read the thread.....

1hz = 1 cycle per minute
50hz = 50 cycles per minute
each cycle is 360 degrees if 360degrees were to be represented by a speakers cone it would be from;
rest or ref--to--full outward excursion--to--full inward excursion--to--rest or ref....

You should also understand that a speaker receives power through both connections, +ve voltage pushes the cone outward, -ve voltage pulls the cone inwards....

In basic terms when watching a SINE WAVE on an oscilloscope each upward peak represents the speaker cone being at full outward excursion, each downward peak represents the speaker cone being at full inward excursion, no power to speaker would result in a flat trace depicting speaker cone at rest or at its ref point.....

When using an oscilloscope to set amplifier gains, too little gain results in a shallower wave form, (as in less cone movement), too much gain results in a squared off, (or clipped), wave form, (as in the speaker cone is reaching full excursion and actually sitting there for an extended period).....This extended period at full excursion actually increases the rms power of the signal and causes excessive heat build up leading to premature coil failure....

Clipping can be heard as distortion, but be advised, detecting clip through a sub is very difficult.....

If you now translate the pic of the SINE WAVE kindly supplied by Mr Dink to an amplifier, you can take the upper limit to represent the +ve voltage rail and the lower limit to represent the -ve voltage rail, lets say at full volume each rail runs at 100V with the amp receiving 14.4V.....If you lower the input voltage, then the +ve rail & -ve rail both lose voltage also, this in effect will narrow the distance between the upper & lower limits, as these limits narrow the chance of clip greatly increase.....

Hopefully you can now see why stock head unit amplifiers distort at moderate volumes when suffering internal voltage issues caused by flashy graphic displays etc etc....

Just to add all the above is just an opinion;)

Polo + Micra
yes i do know how JL ask you to check the voltage at the speaker terminals (being as i have a 1000/1)

but all voltmeters give you a RMS value. so yes it would look constant on a voltmeter but it doesn't look so constant on a cro

ive been watching all your threads and sorry wallop but since youve been on here you seem to be v.c**ky and arrogant and dont like being quesioned by anyone else regardless of their knowledge-or lack of knowledge you seem to claim people have.i would never claim to know about some of the stuff you are doing however you dont need to be so arrogant about it

I'm c**ky & arrogant, OK your entitled to your opinion.....

POWER CABLE THREAD read my first post in this thread and point out to me where I recommended 0awg for a single amp????

My response is post 11, maybe a little c**ky, maybe a little arrogant....

Then my mate Mr Dink, AMP HELP another thread where I'm accused of making recommendations I shouldn't do.....

The point being argued in this thread is simply, I used an ANALOGY to explain a point relating to amplifier output in relation to a given sources recording level.....

I have asked Mr Dink to point out where my ANALOGY fails, I have asked Mr Dink to explain it himself.....so far he hasn't.....

Just for the record I'm not arrogant, I'm not c**ky.....I'm simply opinionated:D

fair play mate,just how you came across to me however i have no problem with your advice,need a few more people on here who know a bit,cliosport is a bit lacking

vaux cavalier
yes i do know how JL ask you to check the voltage at the speaker terminals (being as i have a 1000/1)

but all voltmeters give you a RMS value. so yes it would look constant on a voltmeter but it doesn't look so constant on a cro

Tell you what, draw me a horizontal line depicting output rms voltage from your JL 1000/1 at full volume playing a sine wave...

Lets say 1" in length = 10seconds.....

Now draw me another horizontal line depicting output rms voltage from your JL 1000/1 at full volume playing music...

Again, 1" in length = 10seconds.....

Assume you play each for 1 minute, so each line should be 6" long.....

Awaiting your pic......

Polo + Micra
well being as they are both RMS
(meaning the square root of the mean squared)

they would both be horizontal lines the music one being lower than the other

vaux cavalier
well being as they are both RMS
(meaning the square root of the mean squared)

they would both be horizontal lines the music one being lower than the other

Thankyou....I do believe we are both now on the same page.....

Always a pleasure chatting with you.....:cheers:

Answered a few silly questions I was afraid to ask. Thanks

Bit of a bump someone posted a link

Last edited: