ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subaru Impreza TRY-R

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
:eek: :eek:

chiangedition.jpg

0025.jpg

arthurengine.jpg

0012.jpg

Hey all. Been waiting a long time to tell my story, car isn't quite "done" yet but I guess I can always post an update in the future.

I bought this 99 2.5RS in 2000, roughly 4 months after it's original owner bougt it off the lot and then had to leave the country. It was my first car, and has grown up with me over the past 8 years. I wasn't really interested in motorsports until I had bought this car and sought out fellow owners who always seemed to be at an autocross or track event. So despite not knowing how to really drive a 5 speed I dove in.

Over the course of the next few years, I tried a little bit of everything, Autocross, Rallycross, Winter Rallys, Drag Racing, Track Lapping. I modded my car for weekend warrior duties, culminating in a 99 JDM RA drivetrain swap, complete with 4.44 final drive. Also at the time I was lucky enough to be offered an internship of sorts working with Subaru Rally Team Canada maintaining Pat Richard and Tom McGeers championship winning cars. What I learned through motorsport has molded my vision of what I wanted to do to my RS.

2 years ago my luck ran out, I hit a patch of ice over a crest and slid off into a deep ditch, effectively rolling the car into a tree. It was at this time I decided to retire the chassis from motorsports, to be pampered on the show circuit and act as my Sunday driver. I slowly began replacing racing bits with more streetable parts, and the result of that is what you see here.

Body
After my winter incident, I realized i'd be replacing alot of panels. My first instinct was 22B, but the panels were prohibitively expensive (20K!). I worked out a deal with Aerosim but that kit never really came to fruition. As luck would have it, I had gone to Tokyo Auto Salon in 2002 and spoke to Scott Laking at Trial Tuning. I had always loved the Trial TRY-R widebody (as I'm sure most old GC owners have) but not only was it spendy, there were only 5 ever made. Scott had one kit hiding in Arizona for his own personal car that he was going to build when he returned to the US. Flashforward back to the present (2005). I got an email from Scott and he was happily married in Japan with a 3rd child on the way. He offered me the kit, and the rest is history. I left my Prodrive WRC mirrors, and didn't bother replacing my rad support which was bent while attempting a river crossing, but the rest of the car was completely transformed. I chose to paint it Candy Thunder Blue, a Kawasaki Ninja color that looks alot like WR Blue in some light, but a lot fancier in others.

Engine
I really went for the less is more approach with the engine. I reran all the lines. Ripped out the ABS and hardlines, replaced them with braided lines and the stainless fittings. Also re-ran my coolant and fuel lines. I re-wired everything and tucked it all away out of sight. My brake proportioning valve and fusebox were moved under the dash. I shaved the holes I wasn't using anymore in the firewall. Next was cleaning up the engine itself. Polished the intake manifold and valve covers, painted the timing belt/cam covers. Then I had a GT3076R mounted as high as possible, with a Greddy 47mm external wastegate. I had the plumbing fabbed up for my Lateral Performance Intercooler/Rad combo to be as close to symmetrical in height as possible. Also the Blitz BOV was mounted high so everything is nice and visible. Finally, a 5" intake into a Carbon Airbox. I'm running PE 850cc injectors, with Autronic engine managment (still looking for someone to tune this thing!). I still have my BPM equal length headers for that old school WRC sound, running out a custom 3" exhaust into an HKS Carbon Ti muffler.

Drivetrain
I do alot of roadtrips with this car, so the 4.44 RA box had to go. I swapped in a Ver7 6 speed and R180 rear diff. While I was at it I decided to go 5x114 and got the 07 hubs and suspension geometry. Apex'i coilovers came out in favour of Tein Basics since the knuckle for the 07 was changed and I wanted a soft ride. Wilwood brakes removed in favour of the STi Brembos. I got Project Mu 2 piece rotors (not pictured) to spice it up.

Wheels
Changing bolt patterns to 5x114 meant I could finally try some wheels that I had always wanted from GTR's and FD's I'd seen over the years. But in the end the Gram Lights Titan Lip won me over. I was a bit skeptical about putting 19's on a GC, put they seem to have the right proportions. I'm running 19x10's all around with 265/30/19 KDW's supplied by BF Goodrich.

Interior
I like plush interiors, so I've decided against the typical show car roll cage and fiberglass/carbon everywhere. Instead I wrapped the dash in grey suede for a more upscale look. I now have Sti Ver6 seats, STi Blue carpet, a black headliner, and a quick release steering hub for my Nardi Classic steering wheel. Working with Clarion Canada, I have a 2300Watt stereo system. Signature Series components custom mounted in the doors, each driven by the 2 400W amps in my back seat. The Amp rack is blue carbon fiber under plexiglass, surrounded by a dark blue suede. The box (on my rear seat bench) holds to 15" subwoofers powered by the big 1500W amp in my trunk, mounted in a mirror image to my back seat. I used real Work Meister S2R 18" wheel centers as speaker grills, hopefully Mackin get get me some new ones to match my new wheels! Everything lights up pretty in blue, and it sounds great :)

So there you have it, I hope you like it. It's come a long way from the days I would go race and come home to spray paint the doors that had been stripped of paint from the gravel spray. Now i'm waxing and washing her every other day. Once it's tuned I hope to take it out for more spirited drives again, but have to be careful since everytime I need a new panel Trial has to bust out the mold and hand make it ($$$!)

Exterior & Wheels:
Trial Try-R Widebody Kit
Front Bumper
Rear Bumper
Front Fenders
Door Trim
Side Skirts
Rear Quarter Panel
Vented hood
Adjustable Rear Spoiler
WRC Carbon Fiber Mirrors
Kawasaki Candy Thunder Blue Paint
JDM clear corner lights
JDM taillights
IPF Gradation White 4000K Lightbulbs
IPF Gradation White 4000K Lightbulbs
Sparco Hood-Pins
19x10 Gram Lights 57S PRO RMC Titan
265/30/19 BFGoodrich KDW Tires
Kics Project R40 Neo Chro Lug nuts

Engine & Performance:
Wire Tucked and Shaved engine bay
Anti Lock Brake System delete
Custom SS Braided Oil Feed Line
Custom Aeroquip Braided Fuel Lines
Custom Aeroquip Coolant Lines
Custom Earls Braided Brake Lines
Autronic standalone engine managment
Garrett GT3076R Turbo
The Original “Turbo Blanket” heat shield
Lateral Performance Front Mount Intercooler
Lateral Performance Aluminum Radiator
HTP Custom Stainless Intercooler Pipes
BMC Carbon Dynamic Airbox
HKS Turbo Suction Funnel
HTP Custom Stainless 4” Intake Pipe
Greddy Type C 47mm External Wastegate
Blitz Dual Drive Blow-Off Valve
Power Enterprise 850cc Injectors
Tein Hood Dampers
Walbro 255lph fuel pump
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
STI Group N engine mounts
Magnecore KV85 Competition Race Wires
STI High Pressure Radiator Cap
Vibrant Performance Silicon Hose couplers
Vibrant Performance T-Bolt Clamps
BPM equal length exhaust manifold
Custom HTP 3” Stainless exhaust/downpipe w/ integrated Wastegate dumptube
HKS Carbon “Ti” Muffler
6 Speed JDM STi Transmission Swap
JDM R180 Rear Differential
Clutchmasters FX300 Kevlar Clutch
4.6kg Lightened Flywheel
Relocated Optima Yellow top Battery

Undercarriage:
Rev-Lab Quick Ratio Steering Rack
Brembo 2007 STi Brake Calipers and Rotors
2007 STi 5x114 Hub conversion
2007 STi Tein Basic adjustable coilovers
STI Fuji Aerospace Carbon Front Strut Brace
STI Front aluminum Control Arms
Cusco Rear Strut Tower Brace
2007 STi Rear Trailing Arms
2007 STi Rear Lateral Links
2007 STi Rear Anti-Roll Bar

Interior:
Sparco 383 Suede Steering Wheel
STI Version 5 Seats
Sparco World Champion Horn Button
2007 STI Shift Knob
WRX Aluminum Pedals
STI Aluminum Door Sills
JDM ENAS Floor Mats
Custom Rev-Lab Billet Center Console Plate
Custom Suede wrapped dashboard
Custom Suede wrapped door panels
Ignited Engine Start Button
STI Blue Interior Carpet
Woodview Carbon Fiber Trim Pieces
Eurolite Neon Accent Lights

Audio:
18” Work Meister Subwoofer Grills
Custom Component Door Panel enclosures
Clarion DRZ9255 headunit
Clarion Ipod Interface
Clarion PXW1542 Subwoofers
Clarion SSS600 Component Speaker Set
Clarion DPX11500 1500W Amplifier
Clarion DPX2250 400W Amplifiers

In-Car Entertainment:
7” In Dash motorized touchscreen VGA Monitor
Sony Playstation Two
30GB iPod Photo

Bonus Pics:
PMu.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

0009.jpg

6.jpg

(This is an old pic, but you get the idea. I now have the 6 speed with 06 knob, a Nardi wheel with NRG quick release, and new Seats)
n511381397_179523_4423.jpg

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
too bling for me, i like subtle mods, ever seen overhaulin on discovery, like the work chipfoose doesn, just subtle changes that make all the diference.
this is very max power IMO.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
too bling for me, i like subtle mods, ever seen overhaulin on discovery, like the work chipfoose doesn, just subtle changes that make all the diference.
this is very max power IMO.

u on crack... them rims prob cost more than most peoples cars on here!!!

its sexual i love the tit lip gram lites guy on sxoc with a white s15 has them they are sexual!!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I would love to have the know-how to do that to a car.I know its a bit much for some but fair play for actually doing it.

I'd try my best in it

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
if u go through a uk distro... your looking at near enough 2k per rim without rubber and a 6-8 week wait...

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Engine - Mint
Bodywork - Who let dave the local nova boy mess with it
ICE - If he wanted his music loud why not just fit his hifi out his lounge or even better listen to his music at home or in da club
Seats - Proper bad bwoi, can recline in them seats like your reclining on a sun lounger
Wheels - Your mate will think your proper bo with the bling on them rims

:dead:

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
How people put threads up about other marques about Saxo's ebing chaved up etc and then say thats nice i do not know...

I quite like it. Not really something I'd be happy driving around in, but I appreciate the effort and care that's obviously been lavished upon it. It just about manages to pull it off without looking s**t IMO :)

Top marks and fair play to the fella :approve:

Monaro VXR
if u go through a uk distro... your looking at near enough 2k per rim without rubber and a 6-8 week wait...

£2k a rim? That's what is referred to as a rip off. US dealer $700 a rim in 19" size +$100 extra if you want the RMC finish. £2k a rim some ones having a laugh.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
IN AMERICA YEH!!! 2k a rim in a good size im talking 10" wide with a good offset, remember these aint stocked on a shelf each one is made to order!!!

i can get them from japan for like 500 a rim however shipping is dumb plus import tax and its all of a sudden nearly 3-4k there was a quote on a forums i use of 1800 for 18x9 and 18x10 with a et10 per rim... so yeah near enough 2k a rim!!! the standard gram lites with the polished rim and a painted center is 1200 ffs... from uk disto's