ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Subs Or No Subs?

Question to everyone really.

If you have a subwoofer, why do you like it?

If you don't have a subwoofer why not? and do you want one?

Megane Mk4
Used to have them, wouldn't go back now...

Besides, the 1.2 really aint strong enough to carry all that dead weight tbh.

I dont have one becuase I'm not a chav.

If the car came with one i.e. factory built in its OK.

I've got my home setup to listen to stuff in high quality etc so dont waste time and money trying to replicate that in the car.

Plus, it adds weight!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

I've got my home setup to listen to stuff in high quality etc so dont waste time and money trying to replicate that in the car.

Plus, it adds weight!
pretty much everything i was ging to say + if arive someplace with it booming you will look like a nobber imo BUT everyone around will know you have it and try and steal it.

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
am i the only one that hates driving with a sub blasting away? does my head in! had one for about 5-6 months and hated it

/carl

(im only 18 so im not getting old lol)

I just think it's good to have sound quality, not worried what everyone outside the car thinks. I do it so it sounds good inside.

Plus I live with my parents and therefore I can't turn up my home stereo coz they'll get pissed off pretty quick.

Obviously I have a very powerful set-up meaning, If I see a chav in there chaved out saxo with a little sub pounding. I'll get up next to him and he can listen to my music instead!

Music sounds crap with no bass to add depth.

I appreciate you're never going to get top quality in a car unless you spend ££££ and add 2 tonnes of sound deadening, but no sub = no enjoyment imo, especially at motorway speeds!

And just because you have a sub doesn't make you a chav - the idea is to keep the music in the car, not have it blaring out across town, broadcasting to all that you have a sub to steal...

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
Nearly all standard/OE stereos I’ve heard in cars in the last few years are good sounding systems.

I spend hours on the motorway listing to music in my company mondeo. Its got a Sony OE stero and it sounds great.

Unless you upgrade every aspect of the stereo a sub will just make you deff early.

Home systems don’t have massive inches of subs for a reason, - u dont need them

Storm Grey 200
Subs aren't chav. I like my music and to listen to every part. I like my subwoofer as it just adds the lower frequencies. If its set up correctly aka turn it up so you can hear it then turn it down 2 so it just adds the lows then it really is great.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
Meh..Been there done that got the t shirt - Had a 15" L7, Infinity Kappa Comps all round powered by 1 Mono-Block Directed 2400D and a 4 Channel A1004 all in a 1L Slammed Polo! Miss it dearly.
Love to have one in the Clio but I need the boot.
My home system does me well...Logitech Z5500 :D

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
I have a friend who is a music mixer/engineer. He hates it when people muck about with the sound.

Engineers/mixers/produces and artist spend hours getting the music to sound just right. Then so person turns the bass up and ruins it all just to grab attention as he approaches the traffic lights

Same goes to car manufactures. Nearly all non budget cars. especially rep mobiles have had a lot of time and effort going into the stereo set up.

Reps are the people who spend there life in cars and what they say goes basically.

Nearly all standard/OE stereos I’ve heard in cars in the last few years are good sounding systems.

I spend hours on the motorway listing to music in my company mondeo. Its got a Sony OE stero and it sounds great.
Unfortunately, for most of us, the option of spending a few hundred quid on a good sub setup up (which we can just about afford) vs spending £££££ on a new car (that we can't afford) is a choice that's out of our hands... lol

Either way, a lot depends on your music tastes. If you like 'rock' :dead: then standard speakers will do you fine. If you like non-commercial dance (i.e. not the cheesy pop crap that hits the charts) you neeeeed a sub to hear all the low notes!

I have a friend who is a music mixer/engineer. He hates it when people muck about with the sound.

Engineers/mixers/produces and artist spend hours getting the music to sound just right. Then so person turns the bass up and ruins it all just to grab attention as he approaches the traffic lights
What makes your friend think that a car set up is anywhere near similar to a studio set up? In a studio you haven't got all manner of bass frequencies coming up through the chassis that you have to overcome to get the 'correct' sound lol

Not only that, I'm quite sure that a studio set up runs a number of high-quality, large-diameter drivers, with similarly high quality components for the top end, all housed in specially designed sealed or ported enclosures - not 6 inch speakers slapped into an infinite baffle door, struggling to cope with the entire frequence range!

I take your point about chavs turning up standard speakers and ruining the sound with distortion in some cases - this is why subs are a benefit, because they remove the bass from a small-diameter speaker and enable it to deal better with the mid and high ranges.

Same goes to car manufactures. Nearly all non budget cars. especially rep mobiles have had a lot of time and effort going into the stereo set up.
I don't doubt this. I would point out however that a lot of cars that have subs put in them don't fall into the "non budget cars" category, and even those that didn't when they were made won't be as good as new set ups as speaker and soundproofing technology moves on!

Anyway, I'm in an argumentative mood, and I don't think either of us is going to change to the other's point of view... lol :p

Clio 16v
Im a bit bias on the whole subwoofer thing, I love loud low bass hence why i have 2 18" subs running off 6000wrms in the back of my clio hehe.

But thinking sensibly for a moment (I dont do it very often) you need a sub to recreate the lows in your music.

I get alot of people asking me to help them install a system in there car and as soon as I mention that they should look at getting a sub they start thinking that its going to blow their head off. but in a modest system an 8 or 10" sub really makes a huge difference to the sound and adds that bottom end that is needed to get a nice full sound.

Plus, it adds weight!

Subs do not = CHAV

the chavs you see driving around with tinny systems and booming bass give the real car audio enthusiasts a bad name. Please dont make the mistake of tarring all car audio enthusiasts with the chav label. Im sure you dont appreciate being called a boy racer because you have a hot little hatch do you? its the same principle.

I'm a music fan, I LOVE MUSIC that's what made me get the system I currently have. I use it for competitions and shows only and definitely not for driving around booming it. Yes I am guilty of the odd 'burp' at the lights but only to make some chav in his crapped out ride look silly.

Either way, a lot depends on your music tastes. If you like 'rock' :dead: then standard speakers will do you fine. If you like non-commercial dance (i.e. not the cheesy pop crap that hits the charts) you neeeeed a sub to hear all the low notes!

Not really true dude - I listen to a lot of Rock, and the bass you get from a well recorded double kick drum hits you right in the chest and really gives you that live gig feeling!

All music can benefit from a sub

I agree totally with thejoose!

Me having subs does not make me a chav. I enjoy showing up chavs!

For example when a Supra blast away when you think you can take him!

I here a sub and bash the crap out of there system.

But other than this chav bashing attitude, I use it for pleasure and enjoyment. Listening to all types of music!

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
What makes your friend think that a car set up is anywhere near similar to a studio set up? In a studio you haven't got all manner of bass frequencies coming up through the chassis that you have to overcome to get the 'correct' sound lol

:p
Basically my friends “sound” rule is that if he can take the final mix and put it onto a cassette (yes they still make them) and play it through a crppy stereo. If it still sound well balanced on such a low tech system he’s done a good job.

He is very anal about stuff like this

I had 2 x 12" 1400watt subs in my 206 until 2 months ago. I won't be doing it again though. Subs do kick out some good bass, but a bit ott.

Think i'll be sticking with upgraded speakers next time.

Clio 16v
I had 2 x 12" 1400watt subs in my 206 until 2 months ago. I won't be doing it again though. Subs do kick out some good bass, but a bit ott.

Think i'll be sticking with upgraded speakers next time.

The level of bass is a personal preference

some peopel dont like any, some need just enough, others like loads

horses for course

Nope, I don't feel the need to make people look at me by "booming" out bass.

The standard set up sounds pretty good to me, and why anyone would want a 15kg box in the boot is beyond me.

Each to their own, but obviously, if you have one, you're not as intelligent as I am. ;)

Clio 16v

The standard set up sounds pretty good to me, and why anyone would want a 15kg box in the boot is beyond me.

Each to their own, but obviously, if you have one, you're not as intelligent as I am. ;)

If you have your system on and windows up and people can still hear you then you have done a crap job of sound deadening!

Clio III 1.2 Turbo SX
I agree with thejoose, music doesn't sound nearly as good without a sub. It has no where near the amount of depth. As for the weight issue, there are plenty of shallow subs around which produce a good amount of bass.

Works...kind of...
I do.

Sub's are great, but only if the rest of your system can keep in phase with it.

Having two 15" subs in the boot yet have no sound deadening and standard speakers up front is just stupid IMO.

Mine goes pretty full on considering, people are quite shocked by the kick it creates considering it's quite a low powered single 12".

Having a sub doesn't make you a chav, well it can. But only in certain situations.

RB 182
Stupid comments about having a sub and being a 'Chav' thats ridiculous just because you might want a bit more from your music doesn't make you some t**t that drives around in a shitty nova blasting out garage and wearing burberry!

1.2 Clio
I have 18 subs, 6 18"ers 6 15"'ers and 6 12"ers. I listen to the baddest speed garage station that is on at the time, mainly drum n bass n all tha!

Do i boat, guys... I do have a subwoofer its, only 200watt RMS. I tuned it to around 51 Hz. I love it. It's perfect for my needs. I do play hip hop and a lot (all) of my mates like rock. However when i drive i mainly listen to things like classic euphoria CD's <- they're the best. And without my subwoofer i feel lost.... ok 15 KG or whatever it maybe... But I could probably lose that weight if i was not to eat that morning and take a proper banging s**t. I bet 7/10 of you are a little overweight for your age and build. So most of you could easy strip back if you were worried about weight. I love my subwoofer. It finishes of the sound system nicely. It's not loud so it rattles the car, but it is audible when the headunit is off full whack outside the car. I don't drive with it on full whack. Only because i'd forget i was in a car and not a club.
Each for there own as has been said before but i think it's a must! ((((Just not loud u chavs!)))

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
a decent sized good quality sub ftw :) listened to my mates vibe 12" active... spot on imo.. plus with the alpine HU you can always turn it off/down if it does your nut in. alternatiivly you can fit a turbo port and take it in and out as you please :)

Works...kind of...
a decent sized good quality sub ftw :) listened to my mates vibe 12" active... spot on imo..

Lol.

Should listen to mine when it's all sorted then. ;)

Vibe CBR's are alright for an off the shelf solution. But they're by no means great in the grand scheme of things.

Phoenix Gold 200w 12" sub running off a 300w Monoblock in a well built 2.5cuft ported box FTW. :)

Ph1

Standard Clio Sport set up is nowt special at all. Speakers are gash, very much highlighted when a replacement head unit is fitted.

Ive got a sub and the rest but dont feel the need to let others listen to my music when driving through the local town.

Music sounds far better with a bass line especially on certain tracks.

Nothing more 'chavy' than a loud exhaust but then again thats also fitted for a reason in 50% of cases... ;)

Standard Clio Sport set up is nowt special at all. Speakers are gash, very much highlighted when a replacement head unit is fitted.

Ive got a sub and the rest but dont feel the need to let others listen to my music when driving through the local town.

Music sounds far better with a bass line especially on certain tracks.

Nothing more 'chavy' than a loud exhaust but then again thats also fitted for a reason in 50% of cases... ;)

I can hear music from the standard setup. Plenty good enough for a car. With the engine and road noise, you're never gonna get anything special.

Subs are chav, as are loud exhausts. Attention seeking. ;)

Works...kind of...
Subs are chav

Should go on to TalkAudio and say that. ;)

Sub's are chav if their sole purpose is for people outside of the car to hear/feel it, if we're going to generalise.

A well setup sub/car should keep everything within the car itself acting like an enclosure. Afterall the people that are meant to hear it is you and passengers.

133, 182, Kangoo 182
I have 18 subs, 6 18"ers 6 15"'ers and 6 12"ers. I listen to the baddest speed garage station that is on at the time, mainly drum n bass n all tha!

Do i boat, guys... I do have a subwoofer its, only 200watt RMS. I tuned it to around 51 Hz. I love it. It's perfect for my needs. I do play hip hop and a lot (all) of my mates like rock. However when i drive i mainly listen to things like classic euphoria CD's <- they're the best. And without my subwoofer i feel lost.... ok 15 KG or whatever it maybe... But I could probably lose that weight if i was not to eat that morning and take a proper banging s**t. I bet 7/10 of you are a little overweight for your age and build. So most of you could easy strip back if you were worried about weight. I love my subwoofer. It finishes of the sound system nicely. It's not loud so it rattles the car, but it is audible when the headunit is off full whack outside the car. I don't drive with it on full whack. Only because i'd forget i was in a car and not a club.
Each for there own as has been said before but i think it's a must! ((((Just not loud u chavs!)))

+1, my opinions exactly.