ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sue the government, Yeah

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Can i sue for a new exhaust if mine gets pulled off cause of rediculas speed humps?

Not that i can afford legal costs but i was wondering if in theory i have a case? Id love to lower my valver but if my centre box catches on some VERY high bumps on my way to work as it is then i just cant! Simple as that. Bloody traffic carming measures are getting out of hand. :mad:

If you speak to the planning / highways department at your local council you should be able to find out the maximum height allowed for speed humps. If it exceeds this you should have a case. So make sure you get them to check it and chase them until you get an answer. I once knew of someone who lost the Exhaust off their MGBGT in the same way and got a cheque for the cost to replace it.

My nan and grandad live on a road that used to have speed bumps. It turned out they were illegal and the council had to lower them. They arent really speed bumps now, more a section of road that is lifted up.

Paul

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Thats how they all should be so we can get coilovers and not worry about scrapping the under carriage of our cars.

Plus Clios and all Renaults have exhausts which come out further than the under carriage indentations for them. Most cars have a path which the exhaust is hung in to keep it from hanging closer to the ground than the floor pans.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Mikey16vClio on 14 March 2003

Can i sue for a new exhaust if mine gets pulled off cause of rediculas speed humps?
Not that i can afford legal costs but i was wondering if in theory i have a case? Id love to lower my valver but if my centre box catches on some VERY high bumps on my way to work as it is then i just cant! Simple as that. Bloody traffic carming measures are getting out of hand. :mad:
Mikey16vClio

Take them to the Small Claims Court - that would be cheap!

A little while ago a guy in Edinburgh got a big digger thing and remove a speed bump near to where he lives but he got into trouble.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

My exhaust is fine if i take those perticular humps at less than 5mph, but id be fecked with a lower car, which is what i want! :cry:

Id probably get grounded at the apex and swing like a set of scales. :eek:

Skoda Fabia vRS

for some reason ive got 7cm in my head, about the legal height of a speed bump, for some reason i also have in my head that most are illegal but no1 does anythin about it

im sure ive read this somewhere but cant remember where

GR7

Shiny red R32

A guy I know drives ambulances, and the drivers hate these speed bumps, because if they have to carry an accident victim or someone who they have to transport carefully due to back or neck injuries , they can get badly jarred, causing more damage. Stops both ambulances and fire appliances being able to get to a destination quickly too,as there are so many speed bumps in some residentail areas.

I was told by a friend of mine who worked for the council that by law speed bumps are only allowed to 1/2 kerb height........... But if your vehicle is non standard then it would be a hard case to fight.

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 14 March 2003

for some reason ive got 7cm in my head, about the legal height of a speed bump, for some reason i also have in my head that most are illegal but no1 does anythin about it

im sure ive read this somewhere but cant remember where

Thats probably about right. The only reason the council lowered the ones outside my nan and grandads was because a group of them got together and formed a sort of committee. It took them nearly a year to fight it, and then about 2 months for the council to get around to removing them. The thing is now there is a presidence. So get a group together, go the council and qoute this case (if you want I can find out all the info on it) and then they will "hold a hearing" as they put it. Then they will have to get rid of them if they are illegal.

Paul

I think that the legal max is 75mm, which is only about 3 inches. Seem to have overlooked that at the lovely new supermarket/school traffic calming near me - theyre as high as the bl00dy kerb! I havent tried it yet, but I think Im going to get stuck in my RS Turbo... He he he. Photos to the local press anyone? ;)

Speed bumps are appearing all over the place. I drive a clio 1.2 and i have dropped it to the floor, now i cant get over any speed bumps unless they are the long flat type ones. recently i went over one which looked lower than i thought and i grounded out caught the exhaust damaged an exhaust gasket creating a hole then it bashed the back box then it got worse i caught my rear bumper on the bump and it slightly damaged the fixings and made it wonky which was just great. Its all sorted now exhaust is back in running order and i have re mounted the bumper. all you have to do is think where ya want to go before you go there

When i damaged my alloy due to a feck off big pot hole the council sent me a cheque for a new one. If the damage is caused by negligence or incorrectly situated/ built speed bumps you have a right to claim from the local council. if they exceed the legal height limit you also have a LEGAL right to contact them and demand that they are lowered to the legal level. We dont get away with baldy tyres that are BELOW THE LEGAL LIMIT so why does the rules not apply to councils who have speed bumps ABOVE THE LEGAL LIMIT. These rules were clearly set out and should be obeyed. The fact that people learn to live with speed bumps is why they are still there!

There were some huge spped ramps in a place near me, an ambulance and a bus got grounded on them, the patient in the ambulance did die (dont know if he would have lived if he got to hospital) the speed ramps have been lowered now by about half the amount and there still to feckin big.