ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sunset Tips!

Mental 172 Cup
So I looked out the window last weekend to see the sun going down and I looked at the sky! Got the camera out and turned it on and it was on aperture priority on the lowest! I got this picture from it! Im just wondering what I can do to improve the picture as in settings etc etc lighting! :)

Photography0001.jpg

Thanks

Luke

Ian

Focus TDCi
What is it you're trying to achieve Luke? If you want a silhouette, you're pretty much there tbh, just need to under-expose a bit more. If you're after getting everything exposed you'll probably need a filter to avoid over-exposing the sky.

BMW E92/Audi S3
What is it you're trying to achieve Luke? If you want a silhouette, you're pretty much there tbh, just need to under-expose a bit more. If you're after getting everything exposed you'll probably need a filter to avoid over-exposing the sky.

+1 a Grad filter.
It's already a nice image tbf.

Nikon D700
go nuts... filter it up a bit. maybe a ND and a ND grad on the sky would help out. then adjust shutter time right up, even going over 30 seconds and use bulb mode for 1 min....

have a play, always the best way!

Mental 172 Cup

What is a silhouette??? I dunno what im trying to achieve! Just a good photographic photo tbh! I dont have much in the way of filters! but ive bought a ND8 which should be here soon! so ill see how it goes from there! :)

This pic really was a quick got the cam out and turned it on and shot that pic! nothing to special never had time for tripod or anything! :)

Luke

1.2 Dynamique billabong
a silhouette is where the object is just black and has no detail (think ipod advert).

as for the pic i dont think there is anything massively wrong but when shooting sunset you need to shoot a good 10 minutes earlier than you think to achieve the same results in camera as you actually want

Lots of recommendations for Gradual ND filters, they are great for landscape work to help you exposure for a dark foreground and bright sky in balancing the light hitting the sensor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduated_neutral_density_filter

If you bought a screw on ND filter this won't help achieve a balanced exposure, it'll help block out light across the scene and allow for a slower shutter speed, good for blurring clouds and getting movement in water or using fast lenses (e.g. f/1.8) in bright light where your shutter speed exceeds what the camera is capable of (e.g. 1/4000 or 1/8000).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter

I ran Exposure/Highlight in Photoshop on your picture, hope you don't mind, gives you an idea of what a GND will do... if you knew all of this already I'll stop rambling :)

ND-effect.jpg

B

Brown.

81b warm up filters can help but as above grad's of any colour...gray or brown

VaVa
Ought to get myself an ND grad tbh.

This is silhouette (albeit with a fair bt of pp)

Bentley-159-mod.jpg

This was using an 81C filter to get a warm orangey effect. It's taken at a waterpark about 2 miles from my house, but I wanted it to look like it was from an exotic land lol More or less straight from camera iirc.

2940675363_06bbb1fd9f.jpg

"Navy" N17 TWO
Hoya ND filters good then?

81c filter looks like it does a fantastic job, I LOVE that sunset shot! :D