ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

SUPER UNLEADED ONLY

Did you lot know that a 172 and 172 CUP should ONLY run on Super unleaded petrol....... I didnt ooopps, only got told on Saturday by Renault dealer. the dealer i bought it off didnt even know..... what a weapon.... anyone else not know? or was i just being thick.

172nightrider

Optimax is only 98ron, Super is only 97ron and normal is 95ron

98ron best suited to 172, runs better, but can use 97 or 95. I always use optimax (unless I have to use something else)

Lee

BMW M2C

I thought Opitmax was 98 also. The only thing is it doesnt stay that way for long. Its not got a very long tank life. It soon reverts to normal unleaded. Not that it stays in my tank for more than a few days :)

I think the manual says you can run it on standard unleaded, but the car will benefit from 98 ron which they recommend. Its actually got a sticker on the filler hatch with 98 ron on mine. Have you not got that?

You only produce max figures with the higher ron fuel, though your not doing anything bad by using normal petrol. I said this about 6 months ago :p

-Rob

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

If lesser octane hurt a 172 then mine would have been dead long ago as we only get 93 here and 95 at the coast

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

i put super unleaded in mine a few weeks ago and noticed no change in performance,just an expensive fuel bill.i always try to fill up on optimax coz it just feels more responsive and lasts longer..

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by TonyKL on 27 May 2003

Optimax is only 98ron, Super is only 97ron and normal is 95ron

98ron best suited to 172, runs better, but can use 97 or 95. I always use optimax (unless I have to use something else)

BP super unlead is 98 ron as well but more expensive than optimax.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

and its good enough for me too.. its the only petrol that I will use by choice (if im running out and the only thing i can get is super i will use that)

Quote: Originally posted by viceroy on 27 May 2003

If lesser octane hurt a 172 then mine would have been dead long ago as we only get 93 here and 95 at the coast
You may have a different ECU ?

-Rob

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Would Renault go to the trouble of a difference ECU for approx 30 cars a year? I think not.

My car also has the 98 Octane recommended sticker inside the filler cap so Im assuming its the same car as you get in europe

Yeah probably is the same..but wouldnt of taken long for renault to develop a new ecu. Superchips can adjust fuelling in a matter of hours after all. I guess it was optimistic of me to presume Renault would take the trouble.

-Rob

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

when i enquired about unichip they said they could set it for my car to run on 98ron only if i wanted...

SUL is 97 Ron.

Optimax is 98.6 Ron average.

Optimax does NOT degrade quickly.

Optimax is NOT normal unleaded with additives (octane booster)

Optimax IS 98 Ron plus additives to clean engine for smoother running etc

Darren

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

go to a dock som where or a waterski lake they shud have a tank with 100+ ron in it, if u ask nice and pay they may let u use it.

S2000

I used to run Optimax in my 172, I found it was a bit of a hit and miss, one day it would run well the next like a dog! I also noticed that I would have problems starting the car after a wee blast.

So I changed over to Texaco SUL, now my 172 runs perfectly everyday, feeling every bit as quick and it starts first time everytime!

I tried a full tank Shell U/L on the rollers, then 3 weeks later under the same conditions Shell Optimax, the difference on the rollers, Sod all, no differnce in torque or Bhp. cant understand it but was plain to see.

Nissan R35 GT-R

Quote: Originally posted by Darren555 on 27 May 2003

SUL is 97 Ron. Correct

Optimax is 98.6 Ron average. Correct

Optimax does NOT degrade quickly. If by quickly you mean less than around 40 days, then correct.

Optimax is NOT normal unleaded with additives (octane booster) Correct

Optimax IS 98 Ron plus additives to clean engine for smoother running etc Correct

Darren

Optimax is actually 98.5RON, just to settle a wee dispute we seem to have here. Get ur hands out ur tight pockets and get the good stuff (that is if u care about ur engines.) Certainly on new cups have have a sticker on the fuel cap saying its to be ninety eight RON (cant get numbers from my keyboard for some reason) Hope this helped!!!

Alfa Mito 155TB

I run my 172 exclusively on optimax, i think i know the location of every shell garage in the north east of england...On occasions i have had to put nasty unleaded in from morrrisons and i honestly think after a bit of driving the car is slower and is noiser at higher revs than when on the optimax :)

without the right fuel...you might as well buy a 4 cylinder engine car and take two of the spark plugs out to save cash..

did you also know that clio rsis are also meant to run on super unleaded! If someones already put that then sorry but couldnt be arsed to read through it all!

Mines a 96 and mine is anyway its in the book!

Amusing scenario #236:

Ex-girlfriend - "Its running really smoothly lately!"

Me - "Thats cos Ive been putting Super unleaded in for the past 3 tankfuls."

Ex-girlfriend - "Oh."

:D