ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Super unleaded or fcuk it normal

A tuning firm near me told my mate that not all petrol stations stock super unleaded as such but just use an additive in the normal unleaded for storage reasons.

He said the older stations or the ones I know of that have been around for a longer time tend to hold super unleaded from the tanker as they have seperate tanks. You can ask at the station and they'll tell you apparently.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Id be careful using 95 in the m140i if mapped. My mate had a bad batch of fuel (sainsburys super unleaded as he was being tight) and the engine was pulling so much timing on the dyno as previously mapped on vpower and was very unhappy. The tuner said it would have went bang in no time if it had sustained hard use.

That's pretty insane, luckily it's stock power, plenty of poke as is for the road.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
That's pretty insane, luckily it's stock power, plenty of poke as is for the road.
Indeed, i dare say Bmw have tested it well on 95 octane on stock map and the ecu will pull timing/adapt to suit over a period of running, but id still be wary of absolute hard use on 95 as the engines arent cheap.

My mate said on that particular day his 140 felt a bit flat but still seemed to go ok. He was on way for map check/tweak, and Rstuning had to pull loads of timing to stop knock, it ended up just above stock power iirc. Stuck some octane booster in on the dyno which sorted it out but then had no idea what the octane rating was. He ended up going back with vpower in to get it sorted out.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Interesting results . But also quite interesting to get it mapped on vpower and then to go back for a map tweak on Ron 95?

As said above though, price difference is marginal so generally use vpower, get those kids to nursery ASAP 😂

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Interesting results . But also quite interesting to get it mapped on vpower and then to go back for a map tweak on Ron 95?

As said above though, price difference is marginal so generally use vpower, get those kids to nursery ASAP 😂
He had 97 sainsburys super unleaded in when it had all the issues with knock not 95. I guess it was closer to 95 though, and yes the mind does boggle that he was using the cheap s**t as it had been mapped on vpower.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Ah right, not as bad I suppose altough without getting the stuff tested you'll never really know what you're going to get from any pump.

Going back for another mapping session probably would've paid the difference vpower for a year of driving 😂

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
A tuning firm near me told my mate that not all petrol stations stock super unleaded as such but just use an additive in the normal unleaded for storage reasons.

He said the older stations or the ones I know of that have been around for a longer time tend to hold super unleaded from the tanker as they have seperate tanks. You can ask at the station and they'll tell you apparently.

Most petrol station attendants can barely tell you their own name, absolutely zero chance they are going to know the exact composition of the fuel in the bulk tanks.