ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharging a 182

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Sorry I am sure this has been done to death but some of the threads are quite old and stuff changes so maybe we can consider this a "bump".

Interested to know opinions on Superchargers for a 182, costs, reliability, issues etc

Basically I have a Z4M Coupe I share with my dad and we are selling it (as much as deep inside I know I should be holing it up in a garage for 10 years!?)

I also have a Z43.0si Coupe. I actually find the 3.0si in someways a lot more enjoyable to drive and for a long time have been considering getting a supercharger as it would apparently make 380 but maintain the current delivery which I really enjoy - and the car is set up much more like a GT than the M which is a bit of a pain to drive around town...

BUT THEN...I went and bought a Clio 182 and have literally become infatuated with it. It punches way above its weight (although ironically it is its weight that is the key) and I am having a lot of fun. And so now I start thinking the money I was going to spend on getting the Z4 Supercharged would be better spent charging the clio! and it would be hilarious on the motorway let alone the track.

I see a lot of turbod clios but having driven turbo volvos in the past (T4. T5) the whole appeal to me about the 182 is the NA delivery and I would be worried you might lose this with a turbo?

Any opinions etc massively appreciated.

Cheers

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator

Charger appears post #842 I think.

Summary;

- loads of fun. More reliable than a turbo.
- there are “better mods” in terms of value for money in respect to overall handling / performance, like a diff.

I did mine and loved it. Wish i’d kept it now as it got sold twice and then broken I believe.

But life gets in the way sometimes....and it was becoming an expensive ornament due to family commitments.

Go for a turbo. I wouldn't want to put any extra strain on the aux belt myself. Can't see there being any issues with reliability on a turbo conversion if it's done properly. Low boost and you won't have any lag issues. Especially if you got for a small ball bearing turbo like I have :)

We've just finished building one from scratch. It's been intensive but a good result.

There was recently a kit for sale second hand on the facebook group. Was an absolute bargain. Much cheaper to do it that way if you're in no rush.

But if you want to just buy it all in one go brand new, I'd simply get over to Engine dynamics and order their low boost kit. I've come to realise now that it's actually pretty decent value. If you do buy it from there don't forget to sign up to get the club discount! Sure, you can do it cheaper, but there's not much in it if you source top quality components. Plus you have all the extra hassle.

They have been Turboing Renaults for 25 years or so, so they know what they're doing.

Clio 172 Cup
That’s the place that has caught my eye I am not mechanically minded at all so would need a fitted package but always heard good reviews about their work

really appreciate your reply

In that case, I would just buy the kit from them, get AWMotorworks to fit it and let Engine Dynamics map it.

You could basically just book it in with Alex at AWMotorworks, and tell him you want the low boost kit. Then you'd only pick it up once all is done.

Alex and Engine Dynamics work together with the turbo converions. Alex does a lot of the installs and Andy at Engine Dynamics focuses on the parts supply and mapping. Give Andy at E.D a call though and discuss the options, he's an extremely friendly and helpful guy. He's mapping mine next week as a matter of fact.

Keep your eyes open for a second hand kit though on the forums. But you would need to fully know what it consists of to make sure nothing is missing and everything is correct. Alex once told me that he just tells people to buy the ED kit now days though, as he's had too many custom kits turn up which need changing or have poor quality components.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Silly question, I know, but with that low boost kit what sort of cars are you keeping up with.

230hp in a non-stripped clio 182 sounds like a lot but I cant help feeling once you get north of 260hp it must be hilarious? Will you be left wanting more power after getting a low boost turbo?

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Assuming non stripped is 1090kg then at 230hp you are getting around 211hp/ton...so then I look at the Autosnout list and see thats about the same as e.g.

M240i, CLK55AMG, 996 C4 etc

but at 260hp that ends up being 238.5hp/ton which is similar to e.g.

RS5 (2012), Focus RS500, about 5hp up on an M2

Depends who is the better driver on track :p

A Clio turbo is certainly no slouch though.

For me, a low boost conversion was the maximum. Yes they would be ridiculous if you go up towards 300bhp but then parts are way past the reliability barrier and it's simply not worth the constant worry in my eyes. Gearboxes, clutches and engine internals are getting serious stresses they weren't designed for so it's always going to end badly at some point until you have them all rebuilt and improved.

A low boost setup is more than enough for a Clio in my opinion. Hence why I went that way with mine. I had cams and ITBs before for 4-5 years, it was a laugh and the car was certainly quick enough around a circuit. But the desire for change and a bit more refinement has led me down the turbo route. At 230-240 bhp the gearbox is probably nearing it's limit for longevity.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
makes sense.

I am new to trackdays so this is a future plan for once I have a few days under my belt. although to be honest its more of a desire to have a true sleeper on the roads than on the track... I am sure I will be the main limiting factor for the car for a long time!

I was looking at ITBs too as they look pretty cheap and like you say is not too much strain on the car - also seem a lot of used kits about.....did you really notice the gains with them on? I have heard mixed reviews?

They just give the car that little bit more oomph they need. Certainly noticeable. Especially when on track with other Clios who don't have ITBs.

200-210bhp in something which weighs 950kg is nothing to be over looked.

They do sound awesome too!

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Is it wrong that a large part of my reasoning ends up being based on the fact my missus has a TTS and I would love to see the look on her face if I could pull away from her on the motorway :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Not sure that would happen with ITBs unless you were ready and right up at the top of the rev range. You'd need the torque from a turbo for that I imagine.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Did the supercharger conversion in a Petrol Blue 182, was a second hand K Tec kit mapped having an Adaptronic ECU installed by Chris at EFI.... 266hp and 220ft/lbs torque. That's the basics but the full project thread is here, people tend to forget mine as I'm not really prolific on here...

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Those sound like much more Clio gearbox friendly numbers to me! It the low down slug of torque from a turbo that hurts the box and changes the way a 182 drives that probably causes lots of "for sale, turbo kit fitted 2 weeks ago" adverts.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Amazing thread beautiful car

I think that's what I want but it's just justifying the £ to myself

dan's cast offs.
Don't scrimp and get a churbo, not worth f**king around and wasting money on them. Genuine new gt2560 for low boost.

Most boxes get killed due to ratios and the torque multiplying effect. That and most have had a hard life.

Low boost and a dci box will see you more than fast enough.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Those sound like much more Clio gearbox friendly numbers to me! It the low down slug of torque from a turbo that hurts the box and changes the way a 182 drives that probably causes lots of "for sale, turbo kit fitted 2 weeks ago" adverts.
Indeed, was built, mapped and driven well over a year without any problems. Untouched stock bottom end and gearbox, it was a FSH Clio but replaced everything while the engine was out. So new clutch and release bearing, cambelt, waterpump, Meg 225 keyway pulley, obvs new belt for the charger. Phase 1 fuel system as that's more stable on boost applied Clios, then had Chris install the ECU and map. It's linear power that just keeps pulling with the revs, it's hard to describe and was easier to show on the road against a much more capable car like an M3.

No 50 page boost project thread here, just on it and done with decent power and torque.

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Having had my car for years with a low boost setup i would recommend it all day long. Puts the car in another league performance wise. Been pretty reliable but never as a daily driver. Mine has 235bhp and 227lbs ft and that is about as much as I would put through the car without ruining it. Can just about cope with the power in the lower gears and will not lunch the gearbox. For performance context (tho not really that relevant imo) It was neck and neck with my mates Mk7 Golf R upto three figure speeds in Wales so its fast enough. Combine it with decent suspension and a diff and the smiles per mile will be far higher than the Z4. I owned a 3.0sport Z4 about 8 years ago as a replacement for the clio. It lasted about 5 months as it was nowhere near as quick or fun to drive. Again my thread is on here somewhere and it will give you something to balance a Supercharger against.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Boosted...was that engine dynamics low boost.

I know it will be quicker than the z4 and its already more fun than the 3.0si...probably on par with the Z4M but that is being sold and my share of the money coming from that Is partly going to go on the clio.

Out of interest have you also driven s/c or ITBd clips?

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
Boosted...was that engine dynamics low boost.

I know it will be quicker than the z4 and its already more fun than the 3.0si...probably on par with the Z4M but that is being sold and my share of the money coming from that Is partly going to go on the clio.

Out of interest have you also driven s/c or ITBd clips?
No it was done by a man by the name of Andy Greer. He is well renowned on this forum for being the worlds worst businessman.....but luckily mine was one of his first conversions before he morphed into Captain bodge. I haven’t driven either but i would assume they would be a riot. The biggest thing you notice with the turbo is the instant torque and because the turbo is relatively small the lag is minimal. In terms of value for money i would go for turbo every time but i am sure S/C would be equally as impressive.

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I also have a Rotrex charger clio 182 and its an absolute joy to drive. Its essentially a big engined clio, with the power and torque to more than match the chassis. Highly recommended if you can find a kit second hand. I have not heard of many Rotrex failures on a clio tbh as most are setup on low boost with the restrictor. Perhaps in the K20 hood work where they run them unrestricted with lots of punishing track days on high boost its a different story. But so far its very reliable. Oh mine spits flames too !

Z4x2 & buying a 182
I also have a Rotrex charger clio 182 and its an absolute joy to drive. Its essentially a big engined clio, with the power and torque to more than match the chassis. Highly recommended if you can find a kit second hand. I have not heard of many Rotrex failures on a clio tbh as most are setup on low boost with the restrictor. Perhaps in the K20 hood work where they run them unrestricted with lots of punishing track days on high boost its a different story. But so far its very reliable. Oh mine spits flames too !

This sounds ideal...out of interest who did you get to fit it?

What sort of budget should I be looking at do you think?

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Yep in oz. Just buy the ktec or pro line motorsport kit and be done with it.