ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

superchiped 172

53 Clio's & counting
Search button ;)

The short version is no, if you want a true increase in power and not Bulls**t, then you need to do some proper modifications - ignore people who say you will have 200bhp with a remap as PH and ebay are full of them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Da fk is a superchip? A piggyback module for the Ecu or what? Or you mean supercharged?

Superchips is one of the oldest and largest remapping businesses in the UK, they operate on a franchise system.

They do a generic remap for the 172, basically think of it as like a slightly more expensive and not quite as good version of the RS Tuner that they install the map on for you.

Clio 182
They're not too bad. Like Chip said, they're just generic off the shelf maps. Gain will be negligible.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well you learn something new everyday.

They've been going since 1977 and known as superchips since 1991.

They used to be called "detection techniques" although some of my older friends commonly refered to them as "detonation techniques" cause of the amount of engines that used to die back then, as management and mapping in the early 80s wasnt what it is today of course!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Superchips is one of the oldest and largest remapping businesses in the UK, they operate on a franchise system.

They do a generic remap for the 172, basically think of it as like a slightly more expensive and not quite as good version of the RS Tuner that they install the map on for you.

interesting. do you have evidence that the rs tuner is better than a superchips map?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
interesting. do you have evidence that the rs tuner is better than a superchips map?

Well the main way its better is that the RS Tuner is actually a piece of hardware too that you can then use for trouble codes and fault light resetting etc, so Im unsure what proof you would like, a picture of someone using one perhaps? :S

Clio 182
If I had a rs tuner map file I could tell you the exact differences so yes, very easy to give evidence on which is better.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If I had a rs tuner map file I could tell you the exact differences so yes, very easy to give evidence on which is better.

As both are generic maps, odds are one will suit one car better and the other another, these engines vary a lot and hence so does what is the optimum map for each one TBH

I'd wager the RS Tuner is more developed, smoother idle etc on MOST cars but thats by no means proof its categorically "better"

Clio 182
As both are generic maps, odds are one will suit one car better and the other another, these engines vary a lot and hence so does what is the optimum map for each one TBH

I'd wager the RS Tuner is more developed, smoother idle etc on MOST cars but thats by no means proof its categorically "better"

I was going to say the same, but I thought I'd better not seeing I've never seen an RS Tuner map before. I've just heard very good things about the overall driveability and smoothness so assume it's better than something done by superchips.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Well the main way its better is that the RS Tuner is actually a piece of hardware too that you can then use for trouble codes and fault light resetting etc, so Im unsure what proof you would like, a picture of someone using one perhaps? :S

no, i know what an rs tuner does. so what your saying is that the rs tuner is more useful as it can be used to read faults etc, as opposed to saying the actual mapping on an rs tuner is better?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
no, i know what an rs tuner does. so what your saying is that the rs tuner is more useful as it can be used to read faults etc, as opposed to saying the actual mapping on an rs tuner is better?

Im saying the first categorically, and im saying that in my opinion the second is true as well.
But I dont have back to back rolling road graphs from the same car to "prove" it and even if I did it wouldnt automatically prove that on another car the same generic map out of the 2 would win as these cars vary a lot and what map suits one wont automatically also suit the other as the standard airflow between the 2 engines can be so difference and hence so are the requirements for fuelling and with it being a speed density based fueling algorithm not a mass air flow based one, the ecu/map will have no way of adapting to suit the specific engine, so there can never really be a clear winner that is always guarenteed best even if you tested 10 and they all worked best on one the 11th might not.
But having driven a couple of cars with the superchip and a lot with the RS Tuner, I personally would say the RS Tuner certainly seems by far the better option based on my experience and I think the number of 172s the superchip would better suit is somewhere between none and very few!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
iv not driven either, so cant comment. would be interesting to see some back to back results on the same rollers though just to compare. have only heard good things about the rs tuner.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I used to play pool with the guy who decompiled the 182 ECU for superchips. He owned an LY 182 at the time. They're generally a very knowledgeable company, that releases very lazy remaps. They have a far better capability than their products would ever suggest.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It took you longer to write that, than to just post the price tbh.

Yes but he doesn't just need the price, also needs to know how the process works, how to unlock secondhand unit etc, he'll find all that easy with a search as when he finds a thread it won't just answer the question he is asking but all the ones it always leads to as well.