ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension help!

Clio 182
Hi,

Yet again, I could do with some help please! My 182 has been making a cloncking sound from the offside rear and I have recently noticed it is riding a bit low. With a bit of help I removed both rear springs and shocks, heres what we found:

1) Right shock is shot so planning to replace both with OEM parts from K-Tec

2) The springs are diferent hights. Last MOT in December I was told that the near side rear spring had broken and so they said they would replace it. It turns out they replaced it with a larger spring so infcat the offside is not riding low, but the near side high. I obviously intend taking this up with the garage, but before I do I want to be sure about what suspension I have. I know this sounds neglectful, but I have never been sure if i have cup suspension, or not - I have the wheels and spoiler. The original spring is 200 mm and the new one is 230 mm with the part number 74074 - 199349.

Does anyone know if the original 200 mm spring is cup or normal? I have a suspision that the 230 mm is the normal 182 spring which is why the garage fitted it and the original 200 mm were the cup options. I guess if infact it is the cup set up, I need to know that before buying new shocks.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Ben

there should be a couple of dashes of paint on the top coil of each spring - what colours have you got?

i've a spare red/blue spring if that helps

Clio 182
Henry,

Many thanks for the offer, but fairly sure the original one was red and white. Were your red and blues ones from a standard or a cup?

Cheers,
Ben

Clio 182
Henry - thanks for the link.

I've measured between the centre of the two bolts and it seems spot onto 60 mm by my reckoning. What's the accuracy of this measurement - ie what's the gap for standard 182 setup? So unless i've got the wrong end of the stick, my 182 has got cup suspension. Confirmation from someone in the know would be greatly apreciated.

From what i've read on the forum, there is only 3 mm between cup and standard rear springs, so the fact that the spring recently put in is 30 mm taller with an extra full coil than the remaining original suggests it is not even the standard 182 spring let alone the cup.

not sure if this helps, but i've had a look at that spring and it's red/white. it's 19cm in length. i noticed it had an extra half a coil (ish) over a 172Cup spring and consequently didn't consider using it (don't remember it being any different in length to the unloaded 172Cup spring though)

sounds as though you've an even stranger mismatch there

Clio 182
Thanks for the offer Henry, but i think when i'm sure what the set up is, i will buy two new OE springs and shocks from k-tec for peace of mind. I'm a bit annoyed with the garage who fitted the wrong spring! I'll try and get them to fit the new parts for free.

Just to be clear, the 60 mm is between the two bolts joining the strut to the hub.

no bother. someone on here must know the difference between the various springs. i guess you need to match them with the fronts

Clio 182
Ok, next question:

I have established that my 182 has cup suspension and i want to replace both the back springs and shocks. I am keen to keep the car standard so I was planning on putting OE parts on. The OE shocks aren't too expensive (~£90 pair) but i was suprised at how expensive the OE springs are at aprox £200 pair.

Are there any decent aftermarket options that have the same ride height and stiffness as the OE springs? It seems most of the aftermarket springs are lower and i'm keen to keep the same ride hide.

Ben