ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension upgrade worth it?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I've currently got a 182 without the cup suspension pack that one of the previous owners has lowered with what appear to be Apex springs. The ride isn't the worst in the world, but it is a bit crashy at low speeds, and I'm fed up of having to crawl over the speed bumps down my street for fear of catching the subframe/exhaust/whatever it is that makes a big bang when I go too fast! I'm considering upgrading to 172 Cup shock absorbers and Grams springs, which in theory should raise the car slightly and make it a bit more liveable.

Will I notice a huge difference with the Cup shocks over the standard ones, or should I just change the springs and call it a day?

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Thanks for the reply, I'm pretty sure they are the original shocks which have done 97k miles so I'll definitely swap both then 🙂

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've currently got a 182 without the cup suspension pack that one of the previous owners has lowered with what appear to be Apex springs. The ride isn't the worst in the world, but it is a bit crashy at low speeds, and I'm fed up of having to crawl over the speed bumps down my street for fear of catching the subframe/exhaust/whatever it is that makes a big bang when I go too fast! I'm considering upgrading to 172 Cup shock absorbers and Grams springs, which in theory should raise the car slightly and make it a bit more liveable.

Will I notice a huge difference with the Cup shocks over the standard ones, or should I just change the springs and call it a day?
Speed bumps are there to stop you going " too fast" 😉
Cup shocks won't fit if you've got a none Cup pack car.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Speed bumps are there to stop you going " too fast" 😉
Cup shocks won't fit if you've got a none Cup pack car.
There's "going too fast" and there's "smacking the bottom of the car of you do more than 5mph" 😂
I literally have to almost stop and then creep over the bloody things, someone thought it would be a great idea to make them out of kerbstones 🙄

I was under the impression that the 172 Cup dampers had 54mm bolt spacing instead of the 60mm found on the 182 Cup packs?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
There's "going too fast" and there's "smacking the bottom of the car of you do more than 5mph" 😂
I literally have to almost stop and then creep over the bloody things, someone thought it would be a great idea to make them out of kerbstones 🙄

I was under the impression that the 172 Cup dampers had 54mm bolt spacing instead of the 60mm found on the 182 Cup packs?
Sounds like a suspension refresh is on the cards if it's that bad.
Sorry. Yeah you're right. 17w Cup shocks will fit none Cup 182s.

G. Brzęczyszczykiewicz

CSF Harvester
ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Yeah I was a bit surprised when it happened, to my untrained eye the Clio doesn't look as low as my MX5, but still struggles over the bumps just as much