ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping CD changer with MP3 changer? Is it possible?

Hello :)
I have a Clio Sport mkII, model of year 2002. It's equipped with the standard head unit, with the cd player above the clima controls, and a cd changer under the driver seat. The radio informations are displayed on the classic display above the dashboard, with the temperature and the clock.

My question is: it is possible to swap the cd changer that read only the cd, with one that read also the mp3 files? I'm not interested in having the title song on the display, or changing the head unit. I'd like to mantain the main dashboard display, but when i switch to the cd changer, the tracks on the display to be mp3 tracks on not the cd tracks, in a trasparent way, so that the head unit doesn't see the difference because the reading is done by the changer.

I found this on the web site of the Alpine:

http://www.alpine.de/content/cms/index.php?p=513&details=1&language=english

Any idea if the thing if feasible, if i can simpy switch this with mine, or if there are any other solution to get it?

Thanks! ;)

I would get some sort of mp3 player and get a aux in adapter for the original headunit i have got a 20gb archos you will get a lot more music on it and you can see all the song on it aswell IMO

WILL BE: 1992 1.8 16v
Thing about just changing the changer is the fact you wont be able to change between folders on the mp3 cd itself. When you count up how many tracks can fir on a cd, then times it by the amount of cd's in the changer, it may sound like a lot. But you're actually better off getting an mp3 player and a aux in. Plus then, you can use the mp3 while you're out and about on foot. Wait till march, get a Microtheif Zune.
And, the head unit that's already int here may not be compatible with the new changer!

Thanks! :)

I was looking at the Alpine head unit. There are some model that let you mantain the stering wheel commands and the dashboard display. This could be interesting... but the dashboard display become redundant... mmmmm...

Last edited:
  Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
You can replace the CD changer input with an Ipod lead input adapter on your standard head unit for £10 + the lead, but you will not see the Ipod information on the display and you will lose the CD changer.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=280074784218&rd=1&rd=1

There is no cheap, quick fix for what you want to do.

The Alpine route will not put the information on the cars display, but with the right adapter you can still use the steering wheel controls.

The Alpine 9850RI works like that, and displays the track list on the head units own display but not the cars. ;)

Thanks BrianR. :)

This is good too, i'll see what to do. I'd like also to change my head unit, changer and put something better, no matter if i loose the main display of the dashboard. But the fact is that for the 90% i use the radio only, and here we have the analog radio only. If we could have the d.a.b. or something else i could think to change the HU, but for the use i do of it i think that doesn't worth... :)