ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping tyres at 10k

182 Full Fat

Coming up to the 10k mark and noticing that the front tyres are warn a fair bit more than the back, which is fine. But I just wondered if its worth swapping the fronts with the backs so that I can then replace all 4 tyres when it comes to it?

Anyone else done this?

500bhp Scoob

buy new for the fronts, then swap for the backs.

last thing you want is the backend with sod all grip

[Edited by Mole on 8/11/2005 5:00:36 PM]

(or atleast thats what ive been told)

182 Full Fat

Oh the fronts are about 50% warn, still well within legal limits, I just thought maybe if I could make tham last longer if they are on back

The Jinx

Wait til they wear out then put eh backs on the front and get new ones for the back. It doesnt save you any money swapping them, as it just mean you end up forking out for 4 new ones and not 2.

Mazda MX5 1.8

personally i would keep it as it is until the fronts are worn down then just replace the fronts

otherwise ur lookin at big bucks when the time comes to buy 4 new tyres

ST

I only manage about 10k from a set of fronts on my 1.2 16v, my rears have taken a real pounding recently though, could it be due to my suspension set up, the back is really well planted with not much movement in it at all? (Apex -60mm kit, gas shocks).

Al/

[Edited by 16vClio on 11 August 2005 at 5:04pm]

[Edited by 16vClio on 11 August 2005 at 5:05pm]

Dont ever stick poor gripping tyres on the bcak of a Clio that is unless you lik performing 180s on the road like I did. Thankfully only th car was damaged but it could have ben a lot worse. When the back of a Clio snaps awa it realy snaps away in my experiance.

Quote: Originally posted by clio__chris on 11 August 2005

personally i would keep it as it is until the fronts are worn down then just replace the fronts

otherwise ur lookin at big bucks when the time comes to buy 4 new tyres
I would.

i have just done 11k in my 1.2 16v frount need replacing but doing all 4 as gettin yoko a539 frount and dont like odd tyres rears are fine but doing all 4 ne ways

ST

Well im running michy pilot sport premecy on the rear, and new Toyo T1-Rs on the front, but ive only got around 2-2.5mm left on the rears so ill be replacing the rears with again Toyo T1-Rs in the near future. I let the pilot sports i had on the front go down to 1.6mm and in the wet it was like driving on slicks, ill never ever do that again!

Mondeo STTDCI

Always have the best tyres on the back.

Wear the fronts to the markers, put the new ones on the back and the old backs to the front.

ST

Quote: Originally posted by Davehughes on 11 August 2005

i have just done 11k in my 1.2 16v frount need replacing but doing all 4 as gettin yoko a539 frount and dont like odd tyres rears are fine but doing all 4 ne ways
It wont matter if you have different tyres on the front to the back mate, as long as you dont mix tyres on the same axle.

Oh and A539s get the thumbs up too! :cool:

Lionel Richie

whats the deal with everyone thinking its a good idea to put NEW tyres on the back and moving the rears to the front???

recipe for a hospital session if you ask me!!!

ST

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 11 August 2005

whats the deal with everyone thinking its a good idea to put NEW tyres on the back and moving the rears to the front???

recipe for a hospital session if you ask me!!!
Wont that cause the rear to grip really well and the front to become lighter than usual especially in the wet?

Rb 182

simple

your new front tyres will grip more than the older rear ones so instead of understeering youll end up with snap oversteer and plant yourself into a hedge

182 Full Fat

Think Ill let the fronts wear down then guys! I was only thinking that it may have worked out cheaper in long run by buying 4 new tyres instead of 2 now and 2 later. But I dont want to risk my safety so will leave them as they are!

10K on a set of tyres?! Blimey, what are you guys doing?!! I swapped the fronts with the rears on my 1.4 after about 15K - I didnt like the front end breaking away, which it used to do regularly, especially in the wet. Splash through a puddle, and the front end just gives up the ghost! Was a horrible sensation. Have to say Ive rarely felt the rear end breaking away in any of my cars (apart from my old Ford Capri - my first car, aged 17!), and I drive like a lunatic!

Just seemed for me that it was an easy remedy - putting the rears on the front axle. I got my front end grip back, and I didnt have to fork out for new tyres for another few thousand miles!

I got four new tyres for my 1.4 at about 28K, by which time, all four tyres were down to about 1.6mm - all evenly worn.

Am dreading getting new tyres for the 182 ... the fronts are starting to wear pretty badly!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member

Grippy ones on the front, crap ones on the back, simple - understeer is bad, I prefer the options available from oversteer

Crap back tyres = lift-off-oversteer-heaven...and with 539s not snappy in the slightest, in fact, very progressive, and easily controllable.

[Edited by MarkCup on 16 August 2005 at 12:37pm]

Back to the original question...do it, no problems. Might feel a little different on the driven wheels (due to a change in rotation direction if you swap diagonally), but there are no safety issues with doing it if youre comfortable.

182 Full Fat

I reckon my front tyres will need replacing at around 15-17k, which I dont think is too bad for a 182.

tiTTy & SV650

Quote: Originally posted by Swervin_Mervin on 11 August 2005

Wait til they wear out then put eh backs on the front and get new ones for the back. It doesnt save you any money swapping them, as it just mean you end up forking out for 4 new ones and not 2.
yup, this is what i always do.

The Jinx

Always keep newer tyres on the back. Ignore the other lot. Understeer is always better than oversteer, especially in dodgy conditions.

I like LOO as much as the next person but I always keep the newer tyres on the back. Even for LOO the breakaway is more prgressive and more controllable.

Weeman sucks ****

Quote: Originally posted by nelson182 on 16 August 2005
I reckon my front tyres will need replacing at around 15-17k, which I dont think is too bad for a 182.

15-17k, do you do a lot of motorway miles?

182 Full Fat

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS172CUP on 16 August 2005

Quote: Originally posted by nelson182 on 16 August 2005

15-17k, do you do a lot of motorway miles?
Well Ive just hit 10k now and they have over 3mm left. I mainly do short B road drives in the week and longer motor way/ straight A roads at weekends. I do like windy B roads too tho! Maybe 17k is optimistic but should make 14-15k.

I havent done any track days on them to fair.

For a front wheel drive, Id want fresh tyres on the front - like I say, only time Ive really lost the back end uncontrollably has been in a rear-wheel drive car. Not worth worrying about in a front wheel drive! But its all about saving money. You either have a set of tyres that last about 15K or a set that lasts 28K.

Remember, only time Ive lost the rear end in a 182 is when I was doing 70mph around a big roundabout - and Id expect that! The rear end started to give up, and I stopped pushing it. Either I was very lucky, or the car just wasnt ready to dump me!

Somebody said it previously - better to have oversteer than understeer ... but then, what do I know?

Ieve lost teh back end several times, on teh road and track, and controled it everytime.

Would defo loose the back end going round a corner then the front, front you really cant control if that goes, apart from ease off, or get LOO, back end goes, nost of the time unless you really are going far too f**king fast you can ceontrol it