ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swapping tyres over

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If you need to swap tyres around different rims, who so you get to do it and how much do they charge? Just had a quote of £85 from a local place to fit tyres I've provided, to wheels that aren't on the car, which seems steep.
Taking some barely used TR1Rs off and putting some R888's on.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Depends where you are, if you can find a small tyre shop you might find someone that'll do a set for £30 as per above.

I've used Kwik Fit a few times, you'll need to tell them you bought the tyres from them and offer to have the invoice ready for the driver to inspect (they never ask, although I did actually buy the tyres from them so it's possible they looked me up on their system to check) and they charge £65 to come to your house and swap them over.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I usually pay about a tenner a wheel off the car for removal, disposal then fitting and balancing

Suzuki Jimny
I’ve still never found anyone willing to do it apart from one garage that wanted £25 per tyre because of the risk of them damaging the tyres apparently 😂

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Ive never found anyone wanting to do it less than £20 in the last couple years

10 years ago you could get them swapped out for a £5, then went to £10, then online sales of tyres only went through the roof, and cant find anywhere less than £20 nowadays. Majors like Kwikfit, ATS, Halfords usually all want £25
Spose they supply a valve, balance it and dispose of the old tyre (Which is now a £4 ish surcharge nowadays)

Thats why ive looked into tyre removal tool at home, which is easy to get, and fix to concrete

Its the balancing thats the pain.

Can get used 2nd hand machines- but dont want to turn my home into a working garage (Want a lift too, but Mrs wont have it)
Already got 3 spare sets wheels in the shed, lol.

For some track days, and most tracks seems to chew my nearside front up in one track day, i go get a used (15") supplied, fitted, new valve, for £25, and the tread is usually pretty good, sometimes even newish. I only seem to loose a second or so when lapping, on rubbish tyres, and I am not looking to set any records, just have fun.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Ive never found anyone wanting to do it less than £20 in the last couple years

10 years ago you could get them swapped out for a £5, then went to £10, then online sales of tyres only went through the roof, and cant find anywhere less than £20 nowadays. Majors like Kwikfit, ATS, Halfords usually all want £25
Spose they supply a valve, balance it and dispose of the old tyre (Which is now a £4 ish surcharge nowadays)

Thats why ive looked into tyre removal tool at home, which is easy to get, and fix to concrete

Its the balancing thats the pain.

Can get used 2nd hand machines- but dont want to turn my home into a working garage (Want a lift too, but Mrs wont have it)
Already got 3 spare sets wheels in the shed, lol.

For some track days, and most tracks seems to chew my nearside front up in one track day, i go get a used (15") supplied, fitted, new valve, for £25, and the tread is usually pretty good, sometimes even newish. I only seem to loose a second or so when lapping, on rubbish tyres, and I am not looking to set any records, just have fun.

How much is a 2nd hand balancing machine then mate?

I bet that would pay for itself in not too many years when you consider:

You can save a couple of quid per tyre when buying new
You could buy a lot more used or nearly new tyres
You wouldn't need a wheel refurb after a few sets of tyres like you do having commercial places do it
The machine will always be worth some money

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I got 4 tyres fitted and balanced at a kwikfit a years of so back, £40 cash in hand

Thing is, no receipt, cant go back

And i had a problem

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I got 4 tyres fitted and balanced at a kwikfit a years of so back, £40 cash in hand

Thing is, no receipt, cant go back

And i had a problem
Fit a dashcam. When you go back speak directly to the person who did it and if they complain say you'll email footage to head office.
Simples

Tried this at kwikfit once off peak, young lad was halfway through rolling my wheels across the workshop and the manager comes running out shouting about doing jobs off the books and whether he wants to go down that route etc :LOL: Fair enough that chains aren't interested tbh.

Since found an independent place on a small industrial state that'll do it. I'd like to think that it helps if you turn up with the wheels/tyres in the boot of another car to save them the aggro of putting a car on a ramp or faffing around with locking wheel nuts etc..

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I paid £60 for the bloke to come to my house, take tyres off one set fit and balance to another and fit the other set to the older wheelset.
Who was that mate? I've been to all kinds of local places and they quote silly money to swap tyres over to the point I was looking into getting my own manual tyre remover and wheel balancer for home.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Recently had this done at my usual mot place. Ended up paying £50. Mobile tyre guy wanted £70

Iv had then done for £10-£20 in the past but prices seem to have gone up alot now

Next time il pay the mobile guy as it saves the hassle

Pegasaurus Rex

Bon Jovi Officianado
ClioSport Club Member
Who was that mate? I've been to all kinds of local places and they quote silly money to swap tyres over to the point I was looking into getting my own manual tyre remover and wheel balancer for home.

SR Tyres in Northway, Tewkesbury mate. Good lads! We’re super careful about jacking car up and fitting tyres to my Turini’s too

Big Toe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Campus
I got charged £10 to fit a new tyre on my car at ATS. It took over an hour. When it came out the rim was absolutely caked in tyre soap, really thick. I wiped it off and they’d scratched the alloy, a 22”. Cost them way more than the £10 to fix so I can see why places are put off.

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
SR Tyres in Northway, Tewkesbury mate. Good lads! We’re super careful about jacking car up and fitting tyres to my Turini’s too
I'll give them a bell and see what they say. They may charge me more to come to glos unless they have local jobs.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
I got stung £80 for swap without disposal 🤦🏼‍♀️

Was running out of time to get them done before a trackday.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I got stung £80 for swap without disposal 🤦🏼‍♀️

Was running out of time to get them done before a trackday.

To be fair, unless you've got a freindly local place that's not far off the going rate. Stings a bit though. I've rung a few mobile fitter near me and they're all in the £20 per wheel price bracket. Now I'm running out of time to gwt it done.