ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

*Swirl Marks*

BG182®
Ello ppl i need to know whats the best stuff to clean up swirl marks on the car, ive used t-cut etc, but nothing seems to making any difference? any ideas on whats the best stuff to use? cheers.

To be honest removal of swirl marks by hand is going to be a lvery long and hard job, you'd be better off finding someone local who can machine polish the car. Not a bodyshop though as many really don't know what they are doing.

If however you really want to do it by hand, about the best product is Meguires Scratch X. As you have found its wasting time and money trying T Cut, plus T Cut will do more harm than good to your paintwork, if nothing else its ammonia based which means it strips all the goodness out of the paint.

BG182®
Fnx fella, what sort of price would i be lookin at tho if i was to get the car machine polished? It would just be a few panels tho as its only certain areas that need the work, well... hopfully :eek:

Fnx fella, what sort of price would i be lookin at tho if i was to get the car machine polished? It would just be a few panels tho as its only certain areas that need the work, well... hopfully :eek:

I'm not saying that you can't get away with just selective areas however normally machine polishing brings paintwork back to life and will stand out like a sore thumb compaired to not done areas, so I would normally recommend doing the whole car.

As for costs, it really depends who is doing it (are they doing it as a hobby or business etc) but I would guess anywhere from £80. Best bet is finding someone local otherwise you'd also be looking at travel expenses on top of booked work.

106 GTi
I have done a few spot repair jobs, on lighter colours and silver you can get away with it, darker and bright colours you need to do the whole car.

when i had my 16year old white 205 it was very dull. took it to my brother in-laws body shop in brighton who is an insurance approved place. normally they would charge about £100 but top workmanship. well worth a machine buff.

just remember once its done you have to keep on top of it to stop it from going dull or getting swearl marks again

106 GTi
You wont get swirl marks again if you wash it properly, they dont just appear, infact no washing at all should mean no swirl marks.

Most clearcoated modern day paint jobs also wont go that dull like old single stage ones.

If your 205 had been Black rather than White it would have been a good test if they did do a good machine polish on it - most dont, if you find a good one stick with them.

like i said the place in brighton was great. my brother had the same done with his graphite grey 205 and you can certainly tell the difference.

i think the only reason why they came back up was just the way i was washing and giving it a quick polish and the products i used

will be taking the clio down to get it down after the winter.