ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swirl removal

Bumder With A Buffer
Sod that personally I'd say more...considering some people charge £50 for a wash/clean inside and out and slap on some wax.

I'd say £125-£150 would be acceptable unless it's mates rates

Wow these prices are higher than I thought. My bro got his scooby done for £60 2 years ago.

You only appreciate how much work goes into it if you've actually done it. £100 is pretty cheap, you'd be paying 3x that for a 'pro' to do it.

You won't get much for £60 that's for sure!!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Full detail inc inside, arches, paint correction, you're looking at 10-15hrs++ £200-300 min. If your good, like properly, you're talking £600-1000.

If you want a spit and polish, find out who on CS is close to Derby and get them to do it.

Crappy work hire car
Valet is just wash/hoover

we're talking clay, machine polish, wax etc

No mate, it says:

Full Valet
Exterior cleaned , sealed, polished and protected by hand, wheels (including alloys) cleaned and polished, tyres dressed, door and boot shuts cleaned and polished, exterior vinyl’s treated, windows and mirrors cleaned and polished, chrome and trim cleaned and polished.
Interior carpets vacuumed, cleaned and de-odorised , leather cleaned and treated, parcel shelf and floor mats cleaned, headlining cleaned, dashboard, fascia and centre console cleaned and polished, interior vinyl’s cleaned and treated, interior glass throughout vehicle cleaned and polished.
Approx 3 hours cleaning time - From £60*

Crappy work hire car
^ Thats a big ask in 3hrs imo.

Lol maybe, put if I pay I'd expect it done :mad:

Ridiculous when you think about, who pays £100+ for a car wash?! More money than sense. I've never paid over £5 lol!

Lol maybe, put if I pay I'd expect it done :mad:

Ridiculous when you think about, who pays £100+ for a car wash?! More money than sense. I've never paid over £5 lol!

You've obviously never seen a car before/after a full machine correction.

And it's not just a 'car wash' , it's a lot more than that!

Not a 320d
maybe on a 172/182...these 197's are like a barge tho! ;)

Tell me about it, the GT is a beast compared to my old MK2. Could do the Dynamique in a full day

Like Shadowness above me says too, LOT of work and effort goes into it, i probably detail on the same level as most on here, im no professional detailer but i know what im doing most of the time. Always room for more advice and improvement though.

Audi A4 1.8T Sport
No mate, it says:

Full Valet
Exterior cleaned , sealed, polished and protected by hand, wheels (including alloys) cleaned and polished, tyres dressed, door and boot shuts cleaned and polished, exterior vinyl’s treated, windows and mirrors cleaned and polished, chrome and trim cleaned and polished.
Interior carpets vacuumed, cleaned and de-odorised , leather cleaned and treated, parcel shelf and floor mats cleaned, headlining cleaned, dashboard, fascia and centre console cleaned and polished, interior vinyl’s cleaned and treated, interior glass throughout vehicle cleaned and polished.
Approx 3 hours cleaning time - From £60*

i bet £60 wont get u all that tho lol

i might actually look at the website now :p

edit: F*ck me, they will do that all for £60 on a small car!!! (actually says Clio on their website lol)

altho it does say:

Prices are subject to size and condition of vehicle

if you want to see a proper paint correction, have a look at this:

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=154457

absolutely amazing.

Crappy work hire car
You've obviously never seen a car before/after a full machine correction.

And it's not just a 'car wash' , it's a lot more than that!

I'm not criticising it, honestly, I'm just saying that if you said to most people 'just had my car detailed, only cost me £200' they'd think you were the village idiot. As I said above, I've never had a car worth doing properly but when I get a 197 I'm fully prepared to spend the cash to keep it looking nice. Not sure the OH will agree though '£60, that's half a Radley bag blah blah'... I can see it now :(

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Depends on the car tbh...I appreciate that i'm not a pro, but i'd also bet my right foot that Polish bliss couldn't make my car £1000 better than what i could!

But, they, like others provide a premium service which merits the price. 20-30hrs doesn't work out that much £/hr.

I'm not criticising it, honestly, I'm just saying that if you said to most people 'just had my car detailed, only cost me £200' they'd think you were the village idiot. As I said above, I've never had a car worth doing properly but when I get a 197 I'm fully prepared to spend the cash to keep it looking nice. Not sure the OH will agree though '£60, that's half a Radley bag blah blah'... I can see it now :(

No worries. I'm only saying that A LOT of work goes into it, the actual machine polishing is only a small part of it. That's why it costs so much.

Crappy work hire car
No worries. I'm only saying that A LOT of work goes into it, the actual machine polishing is only a small part of it. That's why it costs so much.

This and the fact that I'd be scared of making a mess of the paintwork justifies the expense to me!

I can see the arguments coming though LOL

Golf GTD Mk7
at the end of the day you're not going to go to the levels that polished bliss etc go to on a detail. They tend to do prestige cars and take 3-4days doing them (not hole days granted). The level of paint correction is amazing, but takes ages.

Most people won't appreciate it and would prefer a quick buff and wax which I suspect is all you'll get from that £60 3hours session. If you are looking to do it yourself i'd do a few cars really cheap and get a portfolio together (befores/after) so people can see that what they could be potentially paying is worth the money. To most even £100 is a lot of money.

IMO it's a good price as a full detail takes ages. Especially if you use DA. Trust me I know how much of a ball ache it is to do :(

Megane R26
I'd say £120 minimum is a fair price for an 'amateur enthusiast', assuming it's a small priced car. Ultimately, paint correction isn't rocket science, any fool can cut the crap out of a panel using FCP and a cutting pad to remove the swirls, but it does take a little bit of skill to use the most appropriate combination to remove the smallest amount of clearcoat as possibly, and finishing down properly seems to elude most people who have had a G220 for 2 weeks and want to start charging.

I've seen and heard of some horrific work for £120/150 or so, where swirls weren't even removed in some cases, or the G3 init wasn't finished down leaving a load of 'buffer trails'. In one instance the entire bottom half of the car wasn't done because "nobody does that"... nice.

There's a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon, which is bringing prices down, which I think is a good thing overall, but given that there are no official measures of quality, you really do need to check out the work of whoever is going to be touching your car. Owning a G220 for 3 weeks doesn't count. I'd also insist on Public Liability insurance and would take greater confidence if the person has appropriate tools such as a paint depth gauage

Golf GTD Mk7
I'd say £120 minimum is a fair price for an 'amateur enthusiast', assuming it's a small priced car. Ultimately, paint correction isn't rocket science, any fool can cut the crap out of a panel using FCP and a cutting pad to remove the swirls, but it does take a little bit of skill to use the most appropriate combination to remove the smallest amount of clearcoat as possibly, and finishing down properly seems to elude most people who have had a G220 for 2 weeks and want to start charging.

I've seen and heard of some horrific work for £120/150 or so, where swirls weren't even removed in some cases, or the G3 init wasn't finished down leaving a load of 'buffer trails'. In one instance the entire bottom half of the car wasn't done because "nobody does that"... nice.

There's a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon, which is bringing prices down, which I think is a good thing overall, but given that there are no official measures of quality, you really do need to check out the work of whoever is going to be touching your car. Owning a G220 for 3 weeks doesn't count. I'd also insist on Public Liability insurance and would take greater confidence if the person has appropriate tools such as a paint depth gauage

:lolup:

LY 200
Can detailers get rid of scratches and stone chips?

Or is it better just to use the good old touch up pen?

Sorry im not up on stuff like this. :eek:

Golf GTD Mk7

Stone chips can be done by a skilled detailer. Looks almost as good as a respray;

pouch up pen - wet sand flat - polish to shine. Looks mint. There is a thread on detailingworld on an old 318 coupe.

Megane R26

Yes, but again I'd want to see previous work

I CAN but I'm not comfortable doing other peoples' cars yet. They need filling, wet sanding flat, then machine polishing, but the wet sanding process needs a fair amount of skill...

Golf GTD Mk7
Yes, but again I'd want to see previous work

I CAN but I'm not comfortable doing other peoples' cars yet. They need filling, wet sanding flat, then machine polishing, but the wet sanding process needs a fair amount of skill...

Too slow ;)

Never tried doing it myself. It required small coats of touch up layered over a few days really. i've never tried it myself as wet sanding scares me. Might try it on the 106 this summer. Just need to give it a few stone chips.lol

Megane R26
I'm doing mine this afternoon - got keyed a while ago

I tried to do my previous cars bonnet too after I got egg'd, but I didn't use enough paint.

Golf GTD Mk7
let me know how you get on Russ. Interested in trying this as mine has egg shell mark on one panel and a few chippies on the front :(

Megane R26
Will do mate

The kits from Paints4U are pretty good. I'll take lots of pics. Hopefully the Mirka sanding pads allow less room for error than the Megs pad and paper

Golf GTD Mk7
oh you not going to be wet sanding then? the paints4u the ones from america that have a solvent to remove the excess?

Not a 320d
I'm doing mine this afternoon - got keyed a while ago

I tried to do my previous cars bonnet too after I got egg'd, but I didn't use enough paint.

Some proper sick c***s around. Mind you im not in the slightest bit envious of your mint R27 :eek: in my favourite colour :eek:.

Wouldnt ever damage someone elses car though.

Ive just bought some Megs sanding paper and some DA sanding pads, Mirka i think they were. Wont be using them anytime soon but theres some stone chips i want to sort out.