ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Swop to a 197 from Type r FN2

Civic Type R - FN2
Thanks
2007 Black civic type R GT
37k on the clock
Really tidy all round
Mint interior
Great tires and alloys really great condition. 1x mark to the offside front. (wife!)
New rear discs and pads

Only thinking of selling / swopping for a change. I've had it for 2.5 years and I thin there was 1 owner before me. I can check this though.
I purchased it from a dealer and had the bonnet re-sprayed on them as it had a few chips, nothing bad but.
If I put it on the trader it'll be going on for £8.250

Swift Sport
The only real benefit for you would be the financial gain IMO, and perhaps more fun too... If you view a 197 pay extra attention to the gearbox as they're made of Cadburys Flakes.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Civic is 100% the better daily. Much more modern. 197 is the more "fun" car.

It all depend what you're looking for I suppose, if you want to release some cash from the car and get something not too dissimilar in power and spec then it's doable.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
I would swap a fn2 for a 197 in a heartbeat, though I would never buy an fn2 in the first place.
But I'm not the best at picking cars an alpha and a renualt repair bills are my hobby

Civic Type R - FN2
After a but more fun but don't really fancy the lack of refinements.

Will think but there's nothing else to change to without putting cash in.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
eh?? There's nothing decent to be had for under £8K??

You could get a fairly tasty Meg for that easily, and it'd make the Civic look like the sloppy and under-powered girls car it is.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Like R3k1355 says you could get a very nice R26 for that money and get it mapped to 250-270bhp for an extra £400-500 if more horses is what you're after. Fast and handles great, maybe not as chuckable as the Clio. All depends on what you're looking for.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Firstly I'd look at 200 over the 197. As said, meganes are possible, but after the Honda the reliability and build quality will shock you.
Something like a Leon fr/Cupra would give you more fun without losing refinement etc. And an easy way to more power.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What about a Gti or a Focus ST for that money?
Cheeky remap on either one would give oodles more power than the Civic.

or a Scirocco, thats in the price bracket as well.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I know I'm going to get hate but for £8k I'd be looking at Astra XVRs tbh... just think they look great. Failing that, a Golf GTI or Focus ST.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
'Full fat' I.e. The standard 197 with the cup chassis isn't too unrefined. The interior is a nice place to be to be fair, and if you get a decent spec one, they've got decent toys.

But they're a proper pain in the Arse to drive daily with the harsh chassis and engine which constantly wants a thrashing.

110% look at a Megan's r26.

I'd love a type R, the mrs' 1.8 grandad spec civic is hell a fun, I can't imagine what it'd be like with a decent chassis and engine.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
But... dat handling :cool:

article-2036219-0DD401C800000578-272_634x430.jpg

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I know I'm going to get hate but for £8k I'd be looking at Astra XVRs tbh... just think they look great. Failing that, a Golf GTI or Focus ST.

Astra's are particularly vile vehicles, IMO the entire Vauxhall range has lost it's way and is miles behind the likes of Ford.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Girls car? Interesting...

Not a big fan of the FN2 Type R to be honest, The EP2 was good for it's time, but with the FN2 they just took the same engine, some discount suspension and shoved it in the new body.
Cop-out would be a kind way to describe it.

Clio dCi 100
If you're wanting a decent spec car with power, reliability and a gearbox and engine that aren't made out of paper maché... Then I'd look into a Cupra R of some sort, basically the SE version with more toys and the Germans definitely know how to build a car. Renault just oozes French design, I mean they made a tower that if not painted every 3 years will just rot away. That's all I have to say about the French

Peugeot 308
If you're wanting a decent spec car with power, reliability and a gearbox and engine that aren't made out of paper maché... Then I'd look into a Cupra R of some sort, basically the SE version with more toys and the Germans definitely know how to build a car. Renault just oozes French design, I mean they made a tower that if not painted every 3 years will just rot away. That's all I have to say about the French

Ironically, its the German cars these days that tend to have rot issues..

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

Don't forget, modern renaults are half Japanese.

Clio dCi 100
Ironically, its the German cars these days that tend to have rot issues..

Aye but nowhere near as bad as Ford though, Ford put rust on their cars from the factory.

Only thing I see is the wings start to bubble on German cars and the front lower arm bolts on mk4/5 golfs and Leon's are b@*tards

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Not a big fan of the FN2 Type R to be honest, The EP2 was good for it's time, but with the FN2 they just took the same engine, some discount suspension and shoved it in the new body.
Cop-out would be a kind way to describe it.
EP2 was the sport model. EP3 was Type R.

I wouldn't go from the Fn2 to a 197. Crap gearbox, crap interior, poor MPG (for the performance) and I don't think it looks as good either.

The Fn2 actually has a really good interior, for the age of the car.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Get a 197 and turbo it with the £8,000
You get the handling and the power then...

Swift Sport
The new Astra VXR is a good car.

I do laugh a bit when people talk about handling and criticise cars like the FN2. I'm sure people just watch Top Gear instead of forming their own opinion. I could probably take a corner faster than most people in my boggo Leon diesel. Chris Harris did a hot hatch shoutout years ago for Drivers Republic and rated the FN2's handling, although it was the CW edition with an LSD.

Clio dCi 100
At the moment I'm driving a Clio dCi 100 and I think it's great. Has the same sub frames and pretty much all the running gear from a 172 minus the shocker and springs. It weighs a bit in the front but nothing is better than leaving someone in a big cloud of smoke[emoji23]

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
EP2 was the sport model. EP3 was Type R.

I wouldn't go from the Fn2 to a 197. Crap gearbox, crap interior, poor MPG (for the performance) and I don't think it looks as good either.

The Fn2 actually has a really good interior, for the age of the car.

Much apologies for being one number out on that generation Civic.
I agree the interior in an FN2 Civic is pretty nice, and still quite funky today.

I don't rate the FN2 Type R much though, it's just a slightly watered down version of the previous model and a step away from what you'd want from a Type R.
For 8 grand you can have a much better hot hatch IMO.

I'm not sure why a 197 is in the picture though, unless the OP needs several grand cash left over to do something with?

Peugeot 308
Aye but nowhere near as bad as Ford though, Ford put rust on their cars from the factory.

Only thing I see is the wings start to bubble on German cars and the front lower arm bolts on mk4/5 golfs and Leon's are b@*tards

Mk5 Golfs - Front Wings, Rear Arches, Bootlid, Sills.. Incredible really.

uploadfromtaptalk1454606126688.jpeg

+1 for the VXR, looks fantastic, seems alot of car for money they command nowadays for early 12/13 Plates, and from what i've read and watched, its very capable car.

Swift Sport
I gave one some stick around Rockingham when they first came out (rather than quoting Top Gear) and really enjoyed the new VXR. My only criticisms were the horrible gearnob, the thick A-pillars and the fact it felt like quite a big, heavy car. Handled great though and was genuinely quick too, and a genuine alternative to the current Megane Sport IMO.