ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Syncros, Clutch or Cable?

PH1 172 Sport
As title really!!! Ever since i changed my gearbox oil I get a crunch changing into third gear at high revs.

The only thing that has changed is a rubber shroud that was on the end part of the clutch cable at the gearbox end has disintergrated and fallen off so my theory is that the few mm that its lost from this are not being taken up in the auto adjust hence the sudden crunching since ive changed my oil.

If not I suppose its the syncros or clutch which I assume is going to be expensive!! I have got an RAC warrenty that came with the car but I dont know how useful this will be in getting a new gearbox? Has anyone got any advice or other suggestions?

Thanks

wrong grade though. (Agreed is good stuff)

From my experience the boxes are very picky about what oil you use. After using different viscosities myself. use the right stuff

But its possible the syncros are starting to go. Wouldnt have said its the clutch

3rd gear is a very common problematic gear.

PH1 172 Sport
So you think i should change the oil again or should I be looking more towards the cable? I just dont see how changing the oil can suddenly make this problem appear.

I changed it about a month ago now and the problem went away for a week a couple weeks ago but came back once i had unclips the clutch cable for some other maintenance.

If its the syncros i'll try get them done on this warrenty thing ive got.

So you think i should change the oil again or should I be looking more towards the cable? I just dont see how changing the oil can suddenly make this problem appear.

I changed it about a month ago now and the problem went away for a week a couple weeks ago but came back once i had unclips the clutch cable for some other maintenance.

If its the syncros i'll try get them done on this warrenty thing ive got.

I have never used 75-90 so I cant comment how it feels...

I'd hate to watch you go and waste a load of decent oil for nothing so I cant say for 100%

But the correct oil (viscosity is a must) Havn't seen a fully synthetic 75/80w before though... Mineral seems to suffice.

I mean did it literally start doing this once you changed the oil? If yes I think you know the thing to do :rasp:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Check the linkage its quite possible it needs to be overhauled.

Civic Type-R
I use exactly the same oil in my gearbox. Gear change is super smooth. I was having trouble with changes, but since had the mount under the battery tightened, new lower gearbox mount, top engine mount modified. Also solid suspension top mounts.

Maybe look into those as doing the above totally sorted my gearbox problems out :)

PH1 172 Sport
Ive just gone to renualt and got a new clutch cable as mine is looking worse for wear anyway its got weights on the gearbox end that my old one doesn't have so i'm assuming they have changed the design or given me the wrong one??

I'll tighten the mount up this weekend as well.

I can't believe that the syncros go just like that becuase of a change in oil so i'm going with the cable and mounts for now!!!

Cheapest first!!!

mine was grinding into 3rd when i used the wrong stuff

Stopped when i used the right stuff

thats all im saying. Dont ask how or why lol!

PH1 172 Sport
mine was grinding into 3rd when i used the wrong stuff

Stopped when i used the right stuff

thats all im saying. Dont ask how or why lol!

Is royal purple really that bad to use though if so many people are using it??

In my experience yes, But the boxes arnt to good anyway so perhaps its going to need some tlc.

But id try the castrol stuff first its only gunna be 25 quid or so. I reckon itl make it quite a bit better. (it did mine anyway)

PH1 172 Sport
I'm just a bit reluctant to throw away £60's worth of oil which may or may not help :s

Suppose I could always keep it though.......

Last edited:
yeah thats why i didnt jump the gun matey, but you realise if you need the box rebuilt the oil will be drianed and chucked anyway

like you say you could always keep it. This was the first time you'v changed the oil init?

PH1 172 Sport
Yeah first time I changed it havn't had the car that long so didn't know when it was last done wish I hadn't now as it was fine before!! If the clutch cable doesn't sort it it looks like it'll be being changed out also!!!

Yeah first time I changed it havn't had the car that long so didn't know when it was last done wish I hadn't now as it was fine before!! If the clutch cable doesn't sort it it looks like it'll be being changed out also!!!

It really does sound the same as what happened to me mate and using the correct stuff solved it but likeI said I dont want you wasting your money.

But I very much doubt its the clutch cable youd be better off spending the money on the castrol IMO