ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Taking pics of the moon.......

S2 106 GTI
I have a 400d with a sigma 70-300mm lens. Find it fantastic for taking pics of things in the distance.
Tonight the moon looks really cool and thought I'd have a go at taking some pics....... they came out shocking! had look about photographing the moon and it seems hard!

What sort of settings are best??? I have a tri-pod - tried all the setting i could but nothing came out good

Rich

Suzuki Ignis
Change your camera to spot meter then you can expose accurately for the moon. But because there is such a difference in the brightness of the moon and the area around it, you wont be able to expose for both in the same frame, unless you area around it was bright light a city skyline. Or is it just the detail in the moon your after?

You'll want a small aperture to have a large depth of field, id say between f/11 to f/16, going high that that I find you get lens diffraction/fringing of colours.

Look up bracketing.

S2 106 GTI
Just the detail of the moon really looks really
Good!! That's all I was getting before a large light!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Treat it as if it was the Sun :) (well, almost!)

Treating it like the stars is no good .. long exposure will end up being blurry cos the damn thing moves so fast !

Fiesta ST-3
I must stress lads, anyone wanting to shoot the moon then tonight is THE night. Its the closest full moon it's going to be for the last 70 years. And you want to catch it at moonrise or moonset as the atmosphere makes it appear bigger than it is.

If you wish to know when moonrise/set is here is an excellent link

http://www.sunrisesunsetmap.com/

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
Gonna be out there tonight for a few shots.

Done with my d3000, 300m lens, then cropped
5370464679_d543d29f67_z.jpg

182FF with cup packs
Here's one of mine from a couple of weeks back.

405D Tamron 70-300mm, cloudy night.
1/25th second
f5
Cropped.
moon.jpg

182FF with cup packs
I must stress lads, anyone wanting to shoot the moon then tonight is THE night. Its the closest full moon it's going to be for the last 70 years. And you want to catch it at moonrise or moonset as the atmosphere makes it appear bigger than it is.

If you wish to know when moonrise/set is here is an excellent link

http://www.sunrisesunsetmap.com/

It's not that much bigger. Only 2% larger than normal, which isn't a lot at all. Full moon is pretty much the worst time for interesting shots of the moon, they look far too flat, you get much more interesting shots with a waxing or waning crescent as you get much more definition around the terminator.

182FF with cup packs
1993 is the last closest which was 356529 km, this year is 356577 km, and the next one to beat that is in 2016 which is 356511 km.

Storm Grey 200
Not that I have actually taken any shots of the moon myself but I would say that its impossible to get detail in the moon and the foreground in one shot.

The moon is actually really bright so the only way to do it is to expose the moon properly and then the foreground. Then photoshop them.
Or I guess you could fill flash the subject. Or perhaps double exposure?

Although I do like how 0123 looks, bar the blurred foreground. :)

2.2 bar shed.
4202313147_e7813058a7_b.png

First exposure was for the moon and the second for the snow. Only real way to do it tbh.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm having a real problem with the moon shots, these are mine from a ride out to scarbouogh, alittle helpfull advice would be good?

Depends what you were trying to achieve ?

You're never going to get a crisp shot of the moon at 18mm and >3s exposure ;)

Look around on Flickr, find some photos you like the look of and check the exif data.

Like I said above, treat it like the Sun, as essentially it's reflecting the brightness of the Sun... Also, it moves bloody fast haha ! It moves at over a kilometer per second so things are going to get blurry quickly ! ;)

2.2 bar shed.