ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

tappets sound

ive got what sounds like tappets sound from my engine, its tike a ticking sound, as i havent had a clio in years i didnt know if this was normal. its not as loud as the old fiesta engines that had tappets.

any ideas or help

No tickover is fineand no its not loud like a dirty D

not sure if you remember my cup. First one with the yoz cams. Done at gdi.

Ye it goes quicker as the car does. Im takin the group n off this week so should hear it better. Its pretty loud at the mo. Tickover seems fine. Just when warm tick a ticking sound.

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Does the ticking only come in when your engine is hot ?

Does the engine sound normal when driving, then once you stop for say more than 10secs+, the ticking comes back ?

If so i have the same problem and doing the dephaser wont sort it. Had mine done yesterday..

Your any closer to finding what it is?

sounds the same, im taking of the group n exhaust tommorrow as its too loud to hear, once the new one is on ill have a listen and let you know,

172 clio
my 172 has same sound on idle when hot, sounds like a 1992 transit donst affect performance though, can any one tell me wot they think this is pls im new to clios... cant b leive how fast they r...

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Does the ticking only come in when your engine is hot ?

Does the engine sound normal when driving, then once you stop for say more than 10secs+, the ticking comes back ?

If so i have the same problem and doing the dephaser wont sort it. Had mine done yesterday..

Your any closer to finding what it is?

Charcoal cannister? Rev it when stationary. If that that it will clear for about 30/40 seconds then return. If it is that you will cry you had the dephaser changed for nothing

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Charcoal cannister? Rev it when stationary. If that that it will clear for about 30/40 seconds then return. If it is that you will cry you had the dephaser changed for nothing

I had the dephaser changed hoping it would cure it. Obviously didnt though.

The noise does disappear when stationary and when i rev, give it a couple of secs and it will return. What is a charcoal cannister ? Whats its job, location.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Down in the drivers wheel arch. Its a solenoid that purges petrol vapours into the inlet iirc. The unit fills with water over time and then sounds 'tappy' About £50 for a new one. Do a search for Charcoal/carbon cannister. You could disconnect the multi plug to try it (see if the tapping stops). It may bring on an emission light though, but the car will run fine. They usually do it when stationary though, they kinda follow the revs, then disappear over say 4k

172 clio
hi there im sorry but this is my 1st clio im a bit slow, but would the charcoal canister make all that noise, my clio sounds like a deisel when hot on idle, when cold cant hear nothing.. thx

172 clio
thx mate shame only had car a week, only done 60000 thought would be ok, will it harm engine using it,when im driving noise gos away, as i said only when hot ticking over i just paid 2500 4 car, dont wana pay another 900 for renault to sort, any ideas im sorry to bother u mate:S

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
thx mate shame only had car a week, only done 60000 thought would be ok, will it harm engine using it,when im driving noise gos away, as i said only when hot ticking over i just paid 2500 4 car, dont wana pay another 900 for renault to sort, any ideas im sorry to bother u mate:S

£900 quid .... ? Wtf.

There are many companys out there that would sort it for half the price of that. Crazy foul..

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
Down in the drivers wheel arch. Its a solenoid that purges petrol vapours into the inlet iirc. The unit fills with water over time and then sounds 'tappy' About £50 for a new one. Do a search for Charcoal/carbon cannister. You could disconnect the multi plug to try it (see if the tapping stops). It may bring on an emission light though, but the car will run fine. They usually do it when stationary though, they kinda follow the revs, then disappear over say 4k

Right, i will try this then, Cheers dude... Will be back on your case if it doesnt work though lol....

172 clio
thats wot ive been qouted by renault dephaser pully cam belt ect....jog on i thought gota be a cheaper way,any 1 know some where close to peterborough that cud have a look, ive feel in love wiv this 172 sounds daft dont it. the wifes 41 she said she looks daft in it and told me to go macdonalds with the halford lads.... pls i need hlp. manaco blue 60000 miles standard looks bliss:)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Where is the plug ?

Clio Sport 182
I'm having the same trouble, took it to local garages and they haven't even heard of the dephaser pully?

clio 182 'full fat'
hi, i know this is an oldish thread, but i have all the symptoms of the carbon canister thing, only hear it in the car, goes away when reved for approx 30-60 secs. my idle is a little lumpy too.
how do you sort this and why is it caused?
you say it fills with water? can you not empty it?
cant seem to find much on this fault