ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tappety 16v, tips

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Hi, ive just fully serviced my Clio & it is in great shape except it is pretty tappety from in front of the rocker cover. Is this normal? Any help on a possible solution? Cheers.

yea mine does it loads too, especially when first started up. And ive been told its the fuel line, but what does this mean? Its it un-healthy?

Its most probably your hydraulic tappets. Not a lot you can do unless you want top replace them. But at £22 odd each - it aint cheap (there are 16 of them in total).

Ben

Toureg vW Transporte

i got told mine was the injectors, it does it all the time, even when hot. dont think its the tapets

From cold my car sounds pretty rough, but once its warm it aint to bad. I think the noise your hearing though is the injectors, my mates got a valver too and his is exactly the same!!!

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

U mean it could be the valves opening and closing repetativly?

So its all in fine order then peeps?

I noticed my fuel pump makes a kinda whistling noise, im sure thats fine though. Thanx

Quote: Originally posted by ben_ren19.16v on 09 April 2003

Its most probably your hydraulic tappets. Not a lot you can do unless you want top replace them. But at £22 odd each - it aint cheap (there are 16 of them in total).

Ben
ouch!... even schrick ones are cheaper and piper... where is this price from? renault maybe? why go to reno...
piper says 207 L for hydro buckets...

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

All good! Every 1 with a 16v seems to have it so im not worried. Think i might get the Reno stamp for my next service so i can be 100 percent. Cheers.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

R u using Magnetex? Mine has really quietend down since the new Mobil 1 oil & filter. The oil presure stays very high until warm & responds quicker and much more livelier to revs & sounds healthier too.

Mine has just last week started doing it. It always sounded rough from cold but never like this. Ive had the oil and filter changed today and it still does it. Reckon its the tappets too. If it didnt do it before, why has it only started now? Any ideas?

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Have u checked your plugs? mine got really bad with this - took out the plugs and two of them were drenched in oil, from me spilling it when topping up -duh- cleaned them up with a cloth and a wire brush - all tapping noise gone, apart from tappets on start up when engine cold - but that stops after a few mins..

RenaultSport clio v6 255

My willy does th etapping thing for the first few mins when cold - i got told it was the haudralic tappets, and told not to race about untill warm - clever really! shoul dstop when warm though

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

When warm it can still be heard though. Not as bad as the first few secs when cold though, but im sure its nothing damaging for my engine! Just a pain really. :cry:

It sounds like a healthy tapping BTW not tinny or grinding just not exactly silent.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Ha, thats what i had in for the last month before changing oil to Mobil 1 when doing my oil change. So u must be correct. ;)

Skoda Fabia vRS

i agree with Colin, Magnatec caused my tappets to be horrendously loud, stay clear of that oil, its crap

and as said Wynns do a hydraulic valve treatment, looks like piss in a bottle and Halfords sell it

Skoda Fabia vRS

anythin is better IMO, dont like Magnatec

if i was you id try some Total Quartz 9000 5W-40

got it in my RT at the moment an its wicked stuff

Skoda Fabia vRS

once up to temp it will be as thick as your 10W-40 your using now

car should run better from starts though as the 5W means its thinner than what your using now when its cold, meaning it flows better