ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tappety noise?

S2 106 GTI
Anyone else's car sound like this?? been doing it ever since i got the car. but listened to my mate cup the other day and its alot quieter! his has only done 16k mines done 46k!

Its got oil in it and been serviced twice since i bought it 6 months ago! the engine has had head work done, hill power thought it might have had re-profiled cams in it but on the invoice i got off my mate it doesn't say anything about cams?? :S

It doesn't sound terrible but you can hear it on idling, goes away when you rev the engine

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
i thinks its normal. probably sounds worse if your are listening for it and paying more attention to it.

RenaultSport clio 182
could be your aux belt pulley and tensioner mate, mine sounds rough and then goes at about 3k.

BMW M3
It will be the Charcoal Cannister mate, which sits down on the drivers side engine comp and evaporate petrol vapours.

The casing can rattle a bit and only is noticable when the car is warmed up and idling. It comes in a quietly and justs sits tapping, then as you increase the revs a bit, so does the frequency of the knocks until prob about 2500 rpm where it goes away.

Its is not an issue at all, and can be fixed quite easily if you want. Or a new one costs about £40 i think.

Hope that helps.

It will be the Charcoal Cannister mate, which sits down on the drivers side engine comp and evaporate petrol vapours.

The casing can rattle a bit and only is noticable when the car is warmed up and idling. It comes in a quietly and justs sits tapping, then as you increase the revs a bit, so does the frequency of the knocks until prob about 2500 rpm where it goes away.

Its is not an issue at all, and can be fixed quite easily if you want. Or a new one costs about £40 i think.

Hope that helps.

Exactly what mine does ^^. Only sounds tappety when idleing once its hot. Thinks its pretty normal, I'm not too worried

Leon Cupra 300
Mine makes this noise too but just make sure its not your cambelt tensioner on the way out, mine snapped but with a lot of luck the belt stayed together! My advise would be to presume nothing...

It still makes a tappety noise though and since ive used an additive in the oil it has got alot better, so may not just be the charcoal canister.