ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tapping noise ???

K20 eg 217 whp.
I have a mk1 phase 3 rt , on idle you can really hear a tapping noise which is constant as the engine idles and increases when its reved. I dont get any smoke and it never overheats or uses water and oil, its been like it for ages but its annoying me now sounds like a fiesta lol not quite that bad tho.

Any ideas wht it could be, tappets is all i have heard so far but i dont know what they are.

Help would be much appriciated, thanks, jb

RenaultSport 197
Are you sure its not your cyclinder heads during normal engine tick over? On the smaller engines they make a tapping noise.. Mine do.

mk1 ph2 1.4
Yep, the tappets. Basically the valve clearances within the engine are out.
You can adjust them on the mk1 ph2 clios, just take the top of the engine off, and with a feeler gauge just adjust the valve clearances to what they should be.
However I don't know about the ph3s, maybe someone could clarify but they could be self adjusting, which means you cant just mechanically adjust them. There are some additives you can add to engine, no idea if they work.
If they are self adjusting however, you can adjust them, you just need a new rocker cover gasket and a set of the right tools. It improves it slightly but your never going to eliminate the noise completely on these cars.
Also an oil change can help a bit - if the oils running too thin it can create a tapping noise.

Hope this helps a bit I know how annoying it can be to have a noisy engine and not have a clue why its doing it!

chris

Last edited:
  mk1 ph2 1.4
If they aren't self adjusting however, you can adjust them, you just need a new rocker cover gasket and a set of the right tools. It improves it slightly but your never going to eliminate the noise completely on these cars.

sorry confusing myself a bit there... :dead:

no probs mate, and yeh theyre just noisy engines anyway, although adjusting the tappets and doing an oil change does help to a certain extent - the engines still damn tappety. just get a ridiculously loud exhaust to cover over it :D ...or not lol

chris

K20 eg 217 whp.
lol errm my exhaust is quite loud anyway no cat, no silencer its just pipe so its not really quiet, just annoying on idle when you can hear the tapping. I didnt know it was usual so thats a great help thanks ^ , if its not broken dont fix it as i usually break stuff when i do that lol. Oil change is on the list for sure tho.

jb

K20 eg 217 whp.
do you need a silencer for your mot?? and do you need a cat? would it pass emissions test with a decat?

nope! you need a cat for the mot, mine had shattered as it had fallen off my freindly garage helped me bodge it for the mot but right after just put a de-cat pipe on. the silencers were all taken off when the new system was built by powerflow.

jb