ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tax a 1*2 for £30!!

320d
If you bought a dci 65 or 80 then did a full sport conversion right from the engine to the suspension, bodywork, interior etc am i correct in saying it would still be £30 a year to tax i 2009?

If so its a great was of saving £230 a year, although the ammount of work probly isnt worth it, but still it a way to beat the covernment.

Never above 25mpg
Only worth doing to a 51 plate dci with a blown engine that should be bought for no more than £500 imo...

320d
yes they would but it was just a thought tbh, wasnt considering doing it just saying if anyone was to to a sport conversion the dci would be the pick of the bunch to do it on.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
TBF tax is ridiculous and I hate paying it, but it's all relative.

You can pay £260 to have use of your car for a year. Or you can pay £50 to go and watch a bunch of arseholes kick a football for an hour and a half. I know what I'd rather do.

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
I'm pretty sure as you need to inform the ministry and they will adjust the v5 with the correct enigne size and take proper CO2 readings hense putting the tax up. and your insurance needs to be considered. tbh its a hell of alot of hastle for not much reward. just get a proper 1*2 and lube up.

Clio 172 mk2

You can pay £260 to have use of your car for a year. Or you can pay £50 to go and watch a bunch of arseholes kick a football for an hour and a half. I know what I'd rather do.

+1:D

RB 200 Cup!

couldnt agree more

Writen off dci 100
So your going to put a 172 engine, into the shell of a dci, and not change the log book to dodge paying tax?

you only pay tax on the vehicle as it was when it left the factory after that you can do what you want and the tax wont change

for example:

you could buy a tax exempt mini and stick a 2.0 supercharged v-tec in and still wouldn't have to pay tax

corsa ecoflex
So your going to put a 172 engine, into the shell of a dci, and not change the log book to dodge paying tax?

you only pay tax on the vehicle as it was when it left the factory after that you can do what you want and the tax wont change

for example:

you could buy a tax exempt mini and stick a 2.0 supercharged v-tec in and still wouldn't have to pay tax

wrong.......when i did a engine conversion on my old clio and informed the dvla the tax changed as the spec of the car had since leaving the factory..i went from a 1.8 16v lump to a 1.4 turbo lump

320d
It was just a theory to see if you could technically avoid the tax , i have no intention of doing a 1*2 conversion, don't see the point with used prices so low, unless you have a mint 1.2 that you have spent loads of cash on. i.e. if f0xy had converted his 1.2 but other than that no point atall.

visualize whirled pe
You have to tell the dvla, the V5 tells you what fuel the car uses and the engine number etc, even for a colour change you should inform them. You aint insured even if you just inform your insurance as major work has to be done to a satisfactory standard, they will argue the work is / was unsafe that's why you avoided registering it, or you are evading tax... so your stuck either way.

You see the pikey's advertise their sheds all the time "fitted with 2.0i engine, still registered as a 1.2 for cheap tax and insurance" .....

You can (currently) say fit a cosworth engine in a morris minor, if you can be arsed, and still get free tax (pre 1972 historic vehicle so tax is free) but you still have to declare it. Age related tax isn't like engine capacity / emission calculated tax.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Could i buy a dci, then replace EVERYTHING with my 182 parts ;)

visualize whirled pe
"yes i know you would have to tell the dvla but even so it would still be £30 wouldn't it"

Errr No, it wouldn't. It won't work like that.

Your car is taxed by it's emissions / fuel type right? so what happens when you fit a totally different engine? It's emissions change.. you following now??

So you inform them you've taken out the diesel and put a 2.0 in, they ask the engine number and capacity of the engine and work out the NEW emissions for that vehicle. You are then officially in a different tax band. In some cases they 'may' even want you to have a engineers report for the work also.

Seriously dude, if it were that easy people would be buying C1's and fitting lotus v8's in em then selling them as tax free super cars.

Like I said, the only way around it is by doing it with a classic or lying to the insurers and dvla.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I like these threads, someone suggests doing something slightly dodgy and everyone jumps on board with comments such as

"Oh you HAVE to tell the DVLA.. You'd never catch me evading tax, I love paying tax etc etc"

Yes, if you did a 172 conversion on a dci you could get away with paying £35 tax, I'd only tell insurance under the modifications section. Certainly wouldn't be sending the DVLA any letters asking for a higher tax bill.

RB 182 replica
well their was a guy on here that used a 1.2 clio and put in a full cliosport conversion. it was all black stripped out track car with elf stickers on the wing mirrors if its familiar with anybody???
anyway that was fully declared and checked by the dvla, and registed as a 2litre. i put it all the the insured and rang the dvla, they told me the tax group stayed the same and the insurance was actuallt cheaper for that then buying a tandard 172!!!

when i put a vts engine n my old s1 rallye the tax group didnt change for that either.

but anyway still loads of hassle and money just to save a little....gov't will always get you another way!!

White Sti Hatch
The tax groupe wont change if you slap a bigger engine in it, it goes by the FACTORY emisions not the modified one and it would be classed as a 2.0 DCI or Dynamique what ever it was at standard.