ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tax Disc camera checker

There was one of these on the way out of Woodham this morning?? thats what the sign said anyways, never heard of this camera b4?? I guess theyll set up mobile speed cameras in the same layby next :cry:

Renault Laguna Coupe

Tax discs have been re-designed to make the cameras life easier too. Val got a new one this month - really wacky design.

they dont actually check the tax disc, they check your number plate, then almost instantly run it through the computer and it tells them if the car is taxed and insured,

the vans are called SPECTRUM, we have loads of them in Northants, and the ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recgonition) teams also operate on town CCTV cameras too

As someone who pays road tax and insurance, this can only be a good thing, If everyone bothered to insure their car it would be cheaper for the rest of us and less hassle if they crash into you

re speed cameras they can burn in hell

The new digital one will be able to check speed, tax and whos driving! So no more blaming the missus...:cry:

ok so now we have these cameras do you honestly think insurance companies will reduce the premiums?....errm i think not, think again

ex Clio 172 owner :(

I flew past one yesterday doing 60 in a 40!! (Im responsible - dual carriageway and no need for 40)had to double back and to my relief (so far) I think it was tax checking as it had dvla tax on the side of the van. Can they do speed checking as well? Heres hoping not..

no, AFAIK they do not measure speed, but are a good visual deterrant for speeding as the 1st thing you do when you see one is slam on the anchors (because 9 times out of 10 youre speeding)

ex Clio 172 owner :(

lol I didnt even slam the anhcors on as when I spotted it I knew it was too late, I thought I may as well smile for the camera.. :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I think this is a huge waste of our taxes people.I see these vans bout once a month in telford,near maxell factory all the way down to the eastern primary.Why dont they put all our taxes etc etc onto one form like in france.

If you look at your car(my clio has one)the windscreen has a square block by the wipers.In france all your details are on a form that you stick on your screen and when you go through the toll gates it picks up all your info.If we had a system like this it would save taxpayers millions and let the coppers catch some real criminals...

Rant over..Ian

i think the tax/insurance checking cameras are a great idea!!

too many freeloaders without insurance and tax in this country, and they deserve to get punished for it!

at least this is amking money off people who deserve it, whereas speed cameras are just stupid! for a start they cant take into account the situation you are in, nor can they take into account driver ability! some people are just good drivers and going 10mph over the limit isnt as dangerous as some monkey in a nova going 80 in a 30!

Melly D -

Whereabouts did you see this van? I havent seen one there before, only a laser gun along Woodham Lane.

Woodham near Addlestone or another Woodham?

BMW 320d Sport

Good call Mel.

But hang on, surely the growing motoring underclass who run around without tax or insurance, are also the same people who buy cheap cars for cash and dont ever register with the DVLA. There are so many reasons NOT to tell the DVLA who you are and what car you own, not least because there are so many speed cameras about and so few traffic cops actually stopping cars, that it will only catch the small proportion of people who are untaxed for a few days by accident. The people who do it all the time as a matter of course wont get touched, cos how are they going to write to them without an address?