ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TDC makes me angry

Clio MkII 172 K reg
At the morning I wanted to go home in my clio 172 MK2 2003 CB1N. There was a starter but no engine start. I towed it to Reanult dealer. They checked it with scanner and found nothing. From my familiarity, this is a symptom of bad TDC sensor + its plug (dealer said the same). Must to say that before clio I had a megane coupe K4M 1.6 16v 2002 that had the same problem about 3 times in my ownership time. Always cost me about 45 pounds (sensor + plug + work - in Israel). Today dealer said that now renault changed this sensor and its plug for blue one and it will cost me 170 pounds:eek: . I refused to replace and drove home (in the end at the garage it started :dapprove: ). I called to mechanic that I know and he said to do these actions: disconnect the TDC sensor from the plug and then turn the A & B pins a little bit to one direction. After that to reconnect the sensor to plug with some power and it should be OK. He explained to me that the problem is that the sensor sits near the enigne and by the time the plug get hot so at the end the connection become weak. I did what he said and for now it is ok but I stared it from then a couple of times.
My Questions:
Does megane's (I or II) TDC sensor + plug is the same as clio's ?
I wanted to clean it but it was not dirty at all. What else should I do if the problem will come back ?
May I put the old TDC + plug (before the blue one) ? this will cost me about 50 pounds instead of 170 pounds.

p.s. to get to the sensor is realy irritating job...:mad: these french...:mad:

Z4 Roadster
hello mate, I know how you feel! :(

I had a new gearbox/tdc sensor/starter motor etc less than a year ago, and I couldn't believe it when it began failing to start - it basically did it after a run where the engine was hot. It turned and turned, but never actually started.

Thankfully, mine was still under warranty, so took it back and they fitted the new loom & TDC sensor (which were of a new design compared to the one fitted). I'm very happy to say that it's been fine since, however I am nervous about it.
Renault would have charged around £140-£150 for the pleasure, so your figure of about £170 wasn't far off.
It is VERY VERY annoying and can be extremely embarrasing when your relatively new car doesn't start.

I'm afraid I can't offer any words of advice, other than the new TDC sensor/loom appears to be better, but I feel your pain!! :(

hope you get it sorted mate :)

Clio MkII 172 K reg
So...
The car start fine by now already more than a 2 weeks after:)
I'm happy that saved the money and did it myself:)

Cheers
Lior

Clio MkII 172 K reg
And again: My clio starts fine still already 4 weeks...:)

Nobody else tried this solution ?:dapprove:

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
nope but i will if it happens to mine again. mines random. usually on very cold mornings

Clio MkII 172 K reg
And for the last time (if nobody care), still it start great every time since then.:rasp:

?
Bump for an old thread... im a newbie to car mechanics what exactly does the following mean?

disconnect the TDC sensor from the plug and then turn the A & B pins a little bit to one direction

RS RIP
i think the pins from the one connector need a bit of bending so that they touch the part you plug it into a bit better.