ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TDC Picture

Clio 2002 1.4 Dyn+
I changed my TDC sensor last week following more and more failures to start first time. Sensor at Renault cost £22 and can be fitted within 10 minutes.

Syptoms:
If the engine cranks freely, you've had your sparks and coil packs changed before and once the engine fires it runs fine. Chances are the TDC sensors knackered.

Installing New Sensor:
The picture referenced doesn't show the TDC sensor as it's a pain to get to but it does indicate it's location. The sensor comes pre-mounted on a bracket (a flat piece of brass or zinc plated steel) with two M11 bolts which is screwed to the engine block just above where the engine links to the gearbox.
Unscrew two nuts and unplug TDC sensor from lead. Use a screwdriver to praise apart the connection. BECAREFUL NOT TO DAMAGE LEAD. Plug in new TDC sensor and refit bolts. Hand tighten with socket wrench. I wouldn't over tighten as it's on the engine casting.

Start engine and hopefully it should fire first time. Mine's has been fine so far but with Renaults it's only a matter of time when some other thing goes wrong.