ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TDC Sensor

Been using this forum for a few years now just to have a look how to sort the odd thing out here and there and have found it very helpfull but never actually posted anything untill now. I don't have a sport clio however i do own a 1.2 tce and my son also has a 52 plate 1.2 16v which i did own but passed down to him when he passed his test 3 years ago. Now its his car which has never missed a beat in 5 years of the family owning it thats causing us some problems i know its not probably the right place to post this but hoping there maybe some one to help.

What the problem is it's decided to miss fire and run at a low and (rough) tickover.

So ive cleaned the throttle body changed the coil pack even found the bared wires on the engine loom and had those cut re-joined and soldered. Even took to a garage and had a compression test done which showed poor compression on pot 2 so had the head removed and the valves reseated thus costing a small fortune for everything that goes with that, head gasket, timing belt and kit ( might as well while its off they said).

Now the missfire has gone but the poor idle and rough tickover remains. so my actual question is could the TDC sensor cause this problem, the car starts perfectly every time and only cuts out now and again so not sure if this sensor is the problem

Cup In bits
I have replaced 5 TDC sensors between my mum and sisters cars and the fault has always been a car that won't start rather than any running fault.

182 FF
My nephew had the same model and had problems with some wires to the ECU rubbing on the back of the engine and shorting out causing similar issues. I'm sure someone on here can describe it better (only ever dealt with 172/182's myself). My mechanic friend fixed it after he spent £££ with Renault (new ignition barrel etc.) but may be worth a look

DTM

Clio 188 ph1 438's
as a low cost item to replace and fairly easy (at least on the 172) I would have given it a go, you can also try cleaning it first to see if that helps.

Cup In bits
Google it, I found some links for rubbing wiring at the ecu and those guys had replaced all ignition components with no joy first.