ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Techy question regarding bolts

220 Trophy
There are 6 (I think without checking) little countersunk Allen bolts which fix my steering wheel to the QR boss, partially because I've rounded one of the bolts and partially because I fancy adding a bit of colour, could I swap these bolts for some good quality Pro-Bolt anodised aluminium bolts? I'm not sure what the standard bolts are made of - they might actually be aluminium but like I say I'm not sure. The car is a track car and I'm held in place by a 6-point harness so hopefully I would never hit the wheel so theoretically it would only be subjected to sideways stress. Anybody with an engineering head on them that could advise? - thanks.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I can't see a problem with changing them tbh. Is there a number on the bolts you currently have? Like 8.8 or 10?

if it has 8.8 or something it shouldn't be an issue changing them

220 Trophy
Thanks, I'll check the number tonight. I think they originally came with an OMP wheel, which I've changed since and now also fitted a QR Boss so they've been 'used' quite a few times.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh I can't see there being much stress on those bolts at all, plus with the load shared over 6 of them I think you should be fine

220 Trophy
Thanks. I'm not great with stresses - I'd presume that the bolts would only be subjected to a 'sideways' cutting stress when turning the wheel as opposed a 'pulling' stress from being stretched say like the head bolts in the engine. I could be talking complete rubbish of course.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Yes essentially, there shouldn't be too much stress on them. In a crash however is another story, but I can't see an issue there either. Like I said check what number is on them and if its an 8 then any bolt will do

220 Trophy
Thanks Fred. The 8.8 that Jaff was referring to may be the number appearing on the original bolts, I wont be able to confirm until I get home tonight. My original question is whether I can replace these with some Pro-Bolt aluminium bolts, or whether they would have to be stronger and made of say stainless-steel? Thanks again Jaff, will check the bolts tonight.

220 Trophy
Hey James. Ha ha ORANGE!! - I was just going to go for blue as that's the interior scheme - orange is reserved for the chassis! Did you order them in aluminium or go for something stronger?

220 Trophy
Thanks James, I cant view the link at work but a quick Google search informed that 10.9 is as hard as they get so probably unlikely they're aluminium. I'll have a look at what rating the bolts I already have are and report back later/tomorrow.

220 Trophy

Right, the bolts I already have are 10.9, but none of this matters now anyway as I've just ordered some lovely blue Pro-Bolt aluminum bolts - so if they fail and I crash I've only got my vanity to blame. Don't whatever you do look at the Pro-Bolt site though because you'll end up spending far more than you ever intended to do, as I've just done... bolts for the door panels, handles, steering wheel, various bits n bobs, engine rocker cover etc etc. God I've got to get a life.......

Just looked at your link James, they look perfect for what you want and probably the same as supplied with the wheels. Plus you've probably saved about £100!

Haha lol! Good work Mark :)

I'm sure the ones you've bought will be perfectly fine! You big tart :cool:

I only needed to buy some as my wheel only had 4 bolts fitted from day 1 so I thought I better add another two!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I'm sure the ones you've bought will be perfectly fine! You big tart :cool:

lol @ Tart.
looking at Marks car, I'm pretty convinced he has a little OCD.
its a work of art, but I can fully understand the justification for calling him a Tart ;) :p

220 Trophy
.....I knew I should've charged more for those tyres!! Thanks for the kind words Kelv and to think it’s still a long way from being finished