ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temp Only Rises When Stationery (Common Problem?)

Pearl Black Clio 172
Hi Guys,
Purchased a Clio last night and taking it for a long drive on the motorway revealed that the temp gauge sits damn as near it smack bang at the bottom unless I remain stationery where it rises to midway. here is a picture in motion:
rg8IfD0.png

Sorry for the quality, was wobbling as it is on its arse.
So my question - is this a common fault? Ive seen it could be a temp sensor or thermostat, but rather than my guestimations if you good educated people (on the matter of clios) could assist that would be great and save alot of time testing.
Many thanks!

Pearl Black Clio 172
Got one on order as I thought it was that and replacing that along with the cracked disc tonight (yes, i drove 40 miles on a disk that is nearly entirely split.... no seriously).
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, however is there anything else it could be or that I should query?
Ill get the OBD reader on it this eve, however ive read about the temp sensor being faulty sometimes?

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Got one on order as I thought it was that and replacing that along with the cracked disc tonight (yes, i drove 40 miles on a disk that is nearly entirely split.... no seriously).
Thanks for confirming my suspicions, however is there anything else it could be or that I should query?
Ill get the OBD reader on it this eve, however ive read about the temp sensor being faulty sometimes?

Make sure the thermostat is genuine as pattern parts often don't seal well. Faulty temp sensor normally causes completely random fluctuations or running problems. What you're described sounds like a stuck open thermostat.

Also make sure the sliders and piston move freely on the brake caliper, cracking is often caused by a seized caliper creating a large amount of heat.

Pearl Black Clio 172
Make sure the thermostat is genuine as pattern parts often don't seal well. Faulty temp sensor normally causes completely random fluctuations or running problems. What you're described sounds like a stuck open thermostat.

Also make sure the sliders and piston move freely on the brake caliper, cracking is often caused by a seized caliper creating a large amount of heat.
Good point - getting the brakes and thermostat sorted right after work so we will be having a look into the calipers and try and find the cause of the problem. Cheers for the advice, really appreciate it :up:

Pearl Black Clio 172
Update -
Brakes didnt get sorted so didnt do anything, however something interesting happened.
When idle, the car comes to temperature, and if waiting a while the fan will kick in at the correct temperature and time.
However after having driven up the road for 2 mins the temperature came down to about a quarter, and I dare say it would have gone down to near the first mark if I had continued.
Do you guys think this is definitely the thermostat, as Ill be picking up a genuine part, or could we query anything else?

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup clio v6 st
Hi welcome i have had this problem 1st my stat went with same symptoms,then a month later my cts temp sensor failed with same problem,i would get a new stat and cts from renault wolverhampton

Pearl Black Clio 172
Hi welcome i have had this problem 1st my stat went with same symptoms,then a month later my cts temp sensor failed with same problem,i would get a new stat and cts from renault wolverhampton
Thanks mate - pricing up a thermostat. The sensor is reporting fine (had it on a diagnostics reader) so im gonna get the thermostat done and then if that fails move to the CTS temp sensor.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
Update -
Brakes didnt get sorted so didnt do anything, however something interesting happened.
When idle, the car comes to temperature, and if waiting a while the fan will kick in at the correct temperature and time.
However after having driven up the road for 2 mins the temperature came down to about a quarter, and I dare say it would have gone down to near the first mark if I had continued.
Do you guys think this is definitely the thermostat, as Ill be picking up a genuine part, or could we query anything else?

The thermostat is stuck open.

When there is no airflow, there is enough heat built up in the system to get it up to temperature. Pair the open stat with airflow, the gauge falls.

Pearl Black Clio 172
Going to change it tonight but only got a cheap item as I havent been able to get to renault yet, i presumed it would be better fitting a cheap one that works than keeping an OEM item on that doesnt.
Thanks for the advice guys, you are legends :up:

Pearl Black Clio 172
Update
Coolant dropped when changing the thermostat and...
7Erjnhc.jpg

Well f*ck.
Keeping an eye on it over the coming days and weeks to see whether it is oil that has caused this. Its got fresh pink stuff in atm so as long as I check oil levels and coolant levels/quality it should give a good indication of where it is coming from.
The £3 thermostat is in and working a treat so I suppose thats an upside lol as I say its only until i dive to renault and grab a thermostat, just currently buying everything else for her (brake discs and pads, calipers, handbrake cable, service kit, dogbone polybushes... you know, all the important stuff).

Pearl Black Clio 172
Wow - that's nasty looking coolant!
Did you drain the whole system?
We drained as much as we could - we were in a rush as I had to be gone within about 30 minutes, so we whacked as much water through as we could then stuck some proper coolant in there (and it is as pink as it could be, therefore ill spot any brown immediately).
I dont care about certain repairs, but stuff like a cracked block or something would mean this will be a quick ownership!