ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temp sensor?

Renault Clio 1.2
Hi all :)

I'm new here, but I have tried using the search function, but can't find anyone with the same problem :(

The temp gauge in the car seems to have a mind of it's own.. It rarely moves from cold and then when it does, it has a mind of its own.. it can jump up to the temp the car should be, then back down to nothing, then back up to half way and back down to nothing..

But, the heaters stay warm, the car seems to run right...

The odd thing is, I changed the thermostat just to make sure, but as stupid as this sounds, I half knew in the back of my mind it wasn't that because of how erratic it is.. It can be less than a second it actually works for.. and in that second, it can go all the way to where it should, then back to nothing..

Before I replace the temp sensor, does anyone know if it's not that? Or have any other ideas?

BTW, All the other electronics in the car work without issue...

Renault Clio 1.2
Thanks James, but as far as I am aware, there is no air in the system.. It was doing this before I replaced the thermostat.. So I'm guessing I'm not unlucky enough to have two faulty thermostats

Renault Clio 1.2
Thanks buddy, I'm going to pick a new temp sensor up today and give that a try.. Silly question, how much coolant did you lose when you did it?

172 Cup
I did my cts a little while ago if you have the new sensor ready to screw in then you shouldn't lose much at all I lost maybe a couple of tablespoons full the cloth I had under it was hardly even wet I didn't even have to top it up

Renault Clio 1.2
Thanks everyone, replacing the sensor worked (now responds how it should)..

But now the car is not getting up to temp... I think this might be the aftermarket thermostat I ordered, so placed another order for a genuine one this time :) Hopefully that fixes it

Thanks again!

A shiny black one.
A genuine one should open at 90degrees iirc. Does the aftermarket one indicate what temp it opens?

Renault Clio 1.2
it states 89ºC, but not sure.... just rather put a genuine one in and go from there (hopefully that will cure it) :)