ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tempoary Insurance

BMW F21 125d
OK, so I've swapped my car insurance over from my 182 to my M3 and thats all done. However as I still have the 182 and I didn't want to declare is SORN yet as its for sale on here, for ease of test drives etc, I legally have to keep it insured. I'm with SKY at the moment and tbh they are great, and they have insured both cars (at a cost) for me but the maximum they can do this for is four weeks.

So my question is, if the 182 doesn't sell in that time, my option then is to SORN it and claim the tax back until and sells and keep it uninsured in my garage, or look at tempoary insurance. I looked at tempoary insurance and its bloody expensive, can anyone recommend a tempoary insurance company that I can use, minimum required level of insurance as it'll be sat in my garage and taken out on the occasional test drive.

Thanks.

If you're not confident of it selling in four weeks how about just renewing the policy and cancelling it when it does sell? Needless to say this all depends on your age:

Admiral/Bell/Elephant/etc charge £47.50 for a cancellation which on a >£1000 policy is still financially worth it rigt up to 11.5 months. TBH I can't actually see you loosing money if you renewed. Even if your policy is only £400 then that's still 7 or 8 months before cancelling it becomes a financial loss. Pay it all in a lump sum to avoid interest. Who knows if you do pay the M3 monthly then maybe when you get the refund for the cancelled 182 policy the money can be ifted onto the M3 rather than being refunded. Speculation.

BMW F21 125d
Thats a good idea actually and something i have done in the past, I bought a £200 run-about and had to insure it for a year, but you could cancel anytime in the first 14 days, which i could do, if it sold, or if not, either move on or suck up the cancellation fee when it does sell. That way too i'd be able to get third party cover which should in turn make it cheaper. However, you can't use your NCB on two policies can you? So i'd be back at 0 but with no claims, points, and 29 years old.
My current insurance is paid in full.

However, you can't use your NCB on two policies can you?

Correct. Only work around/exception is if you happen to be insured as a named driver on another car (e.g. you're wife's) and are with a company who gives named driver NCD e.g. Direct Line. It is then possible to apply "proper" NCD to the M3 and start a new policy using your "named driver NCD" on the clio. Thus having a NCD on two cars.

Investigate admiral multicar? (can be done with any EUI company, so Bell, Elephant etc) Can't remember if it works with 2 or 3 cars though?

TBH for the convinience £50 cancellation fee (or whatever) really isn't that bad for an honest person. Sure it'll be annoying if it sells on the 15th day...