ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Terrible 182 MPG?

BMW 5 Series
Just a bit of advise needed please.

Im using BP Ultimate at the miniute and am returning 19 to 21 mpg, does this seem about right?
The cars normal journey is as follows:-
1) From start in morning my wife takes the kids to school 10mins tops 1/4 mile (stop and start again)
2) After dropping kids off it goes to our buisiness, another 5mins 400 yards.

3) Stays there all day and does the same journey the other way.

4) Does the Asda run and general family bits.

5) I give it a 30min blast every 2 weeks or so.

Is this a case of it never getting warm, or does it need looking at?

Many Thanks MMc

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
sounds bout right with all the stop start journeys and not travelling very fat to be honest.

i do a 20 mile dual carriageway trip to work and if i cruise chilled i get 35 mpg. if i burn it i can do less than 25 mpg. town ruins my mpg.

doesn't harm getting renault to look at it though.

Turbos.
Not getting off choke would be the problem. Ride a bike you lazy b*****d! ;)

I get 34mpg from my 172 using crap fuel.

MINI JCW
according to Renaultsport should get 25mpg from urban driving, the type of journeys you do are the worst for fuel consumption

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
mmcg said:
Just a bit of advise needed please.

Im using BP Ultimate at the miniute and am returning 19 to 21 mpg, does this seem about right?
The cars normal journey is as follows:-
1) From start in morning my wife takes the kids to school 10mins tops 1/4 mile (stop and start again)
2) After dropping kids off it goes to our buisiness, another 5mins 400 yards.

3) Stays there all day and does the same journey the other way.

4) Does the Asda run and general family bits.

5) I give it a 30min blast every 2 weeks or so.

Is this a case of it never getting warm, or does it need looking at?

Many Thanks MMc
whats your mileage?

economy gets better with age and usage and miles

M140i/Orange 182
mines around 25-28mpg around town, few dual carrigeways here and there...sounds about right to me

clio 182 black /gold
You must drive slow. 10 mins to do 1/4 mile and 5 mins to do 400 yards, yes why don,t you walk? Or push it lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing wrong with trip computer.

In 10 mins I normally go 6-7 miles in the morning - this one though manages only 1/4 mile.

The fuel burnt at tickover alone would be enough to pull along a 182 about 1 mile in 10 mins, but it only manages a quarter of that, all the while it will rev, pull away, stop, rev, pull away etc.

So it's probably having the worst possible time an 90bhp/litre (relatively) high-revving NA engine could have...poor thing LOL

It's not that difficult to understand, is it?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
It's no that difficult to understand, and i agree with what you are saying about the cold starts and heavy traffic, but the mpg just seems very low to me. I quite often do short cold journeys in heavy traffic an it never drops that low.

My mrs's drives about 1.5 miles to get to work then same to come home, then we use it for shopping at the weekend.
It doesn't even warm up by the time she's at work. We did just under 4k last year lol
At the moment we are averaging 28 mpg.
I notice that when its warmer outside the mpg goes up

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Fletch123 said:
I quite often do short cold journeys in heavy traffic an it never drops that low.

But there's a massive difference between quite often and twice a day!

BMW 5 Series
Thanks for the response, its put my mind at rest, its nearly 2 years old and done 6020 miles! same as all the other wifes cars.

Thanks MM

Black Gold 182
i hate watchin my needle fall...but then if you want an economical clio...should have bought the DCi !!!

wish i had now! well maybe not ;)

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
mmcg said:
Thanks for the response, its put my mind at rest, its nearly 2 years old and done 6020 miles! same as all the other wifes cars.

Thanks MM

am i missing something here ?? nice work lol.

but in regard to the thread the less miles the lower the mpg basically

tiTTy & SV650
mines the same for getting to work, lucky to see 21mpg but it returns 37 mpg on long runs when booting it.

Tesla MP3 2021
on average mine is about 30-35mpg....and that includes a good thrashing everyday.;)

BMW 5 Series
About the same time i started putting the BP in i had the Blueflame exhaust fitted, so it got me a thinking, by the way im electrical not mechanical!

Thanks MM

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Sounds right to me..Less miles, in stop start driving = Poor mpg. Simple.

Nothing to worry about mate. Take it for a long drive and reset the computer and see what mpg it achieves then.

Tyson.

Clio 172 mk2
Fletch123 said:
It's no that difficult to understand, and i agree with what you are saying about the cold starts and heavy traffic, but the mpg just seems very low to me. I quite often do short cold journeys in heavy traffic an it never drops that low.

Agree with you

I do quite a few short trips and still get well over 25mpg

A4 Avant & A3
i put some Tesco 99ron into my car last week.. my MPG went from an average of 38 down to 32!
Usually use sainsbury's super unleaded.
back on that now & driving to work and back.. i'm back up to 37ish now.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Fletch123 said:
At last someone agrees with me:D

But short trips "often" isn't what this thing does...it's every single time it's fired up.

Try this...tomorrow morning, before you start your car, reset the trip comp. Then start the engine, and leave it ticking over for 15mins, before driving 0.5 mile as economically as you can. Note your average mpg.

I'd be surprised if you get anywhere near 20, let alone 25 mpg. Yet this guys car effectively does all the above, but with continual stop/start traffic thrown in as well.

F*** it...I'm gonna try that myself just to see LOL

I'll report back...

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
He's not re-set his computer and with a 1/4mile drive and going to work this is about right.

Also given his milage he only fills up once a month at a guess

ian

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
MarkCup said:
But short trips "often" isn't what this thing does...it's every single time it's fired up.

Try this...tomorrow morning, before you start your car, reset the trip comp. Then start the engine, and leave it ticking over for 15mins, before driving 0.5 mile as economically as you can. Note your average mpg.

I'd be surprised if you get anywhere near 20, let alone 25 mpg. Yet this guys car effectively does all the above, but with continual stop/start traffic thrown in as well.

I'll report back...

Leave the car running for 15 mins before driving off f**k that.

To be honest mate the whole mpg issue doesn't really bother me that much, at the end of the day you don't buy a Renault Sport Clio for high mpg returns.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
MarkCup said:

I'll report back...

I've just been out and done this (sounded fun) I tried to recreate his drive but with out the idleing bit at the start since technically the cars not moving but is using fuel with should give a negative reading lol. With the trip meter reset and i came out with 19.6 mpg. While sat there idling in traffic after re-setting it goes down very quickly. So if he is doing this day in and day out it'll hover around this mark since as far as the car is concerned its not moving much but its still using fuel.

Like someone else said if he resets it and goes for a good long country drive it'll be back to normal figures.

Drives a 1/4 mile to school????? Then 400 yards to work?????

Bikes are great for that, and you get really great MPG from those. I can do about one mars bar every 5 miles...

UR 197, AB 182 FF
Why isnt the car being left at home rather than being moved 2 miles each day??? I used to walk to school every day, 2 miles, in the freezing cold, in all weathers.. You young uns don't know you are born I tell thee.

Now I really do feel old. In my day, if we got a lift to school in a car it was a special treat, now kids get a ride to school 1/2 mile away?? and it takes 10 minues? christ I could walk 1/2 mile in less than 10 minues and I wouldnt be contributing towards the rush hour traffic.

...no Mike, its a 1/4 of a mile!!! 5 min walk!

I wonder why our roads are being clogged up these days, hmmm.......

Not only that, these silly little trips with their high MPG figures are wasting our precious petrol reserves which we could use for blatting around the countryside enjoying ourselves!

On my commute to work I return just over 20mpg (driving like I stole it). That rises to 28-30 on a motorway (driving it like I stole it). All depending on when you reset the computer. I've seen as high as 42 (driving like Miss Daisy) and as little as 18 (driving like I stole it). Its all good.

182 + Cup
Try ignoring the trippy and work it out manually. You will probably find that over the course of one full tank you will get far less than your trippy is telling you, so in your case that's very bad!

Fill up the tank then work out your average MPG based on the fuel you just put in. Litres into gallons is 4.546 IIRC, so therefore divide the number of litres you put in by 4.546 to give you gallons, then divide your mileage on the trippy by the gallons you put in.

The reason for this is that the trippy calculates usage on an infinitely variable driving pattern. The Vauxhall ones work it out based on the last 17 miles or something weird. Not sure about Reno.

Either way I think your MPG is very poor even considering your driving pattern. Get it checked out chap.