ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tesco insurance renewal increased by 2.5k!!!!

Clio F1 R27
Just had my renewal through from Tesco. Apparantly the company that underwrites them (UKI) have changed their policy on drivers who have points and are increasing premiums.

Last year my insurance was £700 fully comp, this year it's gone upto £3,200!

I've got 9 points and a 3 week speeding ban. The only points I picked up last year was another 3 just after my renewal. I do alot of miles so I have been at risk perhaps more than the average driver, although I have slowed down as I don't want to lose my licence or my life.

Can anyone recommend any decent insurances companies? I'm 31 and have 7 years with no claims.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
I just had my renewel from direct line ( same company) i only have 3 points form 4 years ago.

my renewal is £100 more than it was last year with me being a year older and having another years ncb.

so stupid as i have my house/breakdown and life insurance with them
and im now moving the lot.

MY10 R35 GTR
its to do with all that flood damage, insurance got to get the money back some how................ so why not just put drive premiums up, bunch off ass wipes, hate all insurance companies nothings ever simple

Not got much to do with the flood claims tbh, tho it will have a minor effect, lots of cars were damaged in the floods as well as houses, but nothing like the outlay required for the home claims.

black 172
my brothers insurance has gone from £1150 to £2500 on a 1.6 corsa hes 19 nothing dirrerent from last year there excuse is hes a young driver hes was a year younger last year ffs:S

MY10 R35 GTR
Not got much to do with the flood claims tbh, tho it will have a minor effect, lots of cars were damaged in the floods as well as houses, but nothing like the outlay required for the home claims.

excuse the pun......................... Every little helps..

Clio F1 R27
I think this is something ppl need to be aware of, obviously our insurance premiums are going to be going up!

This is along with tax, speed cameras, fuel, energy, inflation, supermarket food prices, interest rates.

This country is a a joke, we have an 18th century sewage system which floods half the country everytime it rains! We've got an 18th century underground in London. There's nearly 1 million illegal immigrants in the country. There's hundreds of thousands of people from the EU coming here and they're taking our jobs and sucking off our p-ss take social system which the government has no control over cause they have no money.

The Police are massively under resourse, so are schools and hospitals....

Where is all our tax money going I ask?

WE the working class people are paying for this crap.

Time to move to France!

visualize whirled pe
Insurance companies are sharks plain and simple. They know that it is a legal requirement to have insurance and thus you pay or you dont drive, so they have you by the balls. Even though quotes vary there is a certain amount of price fixing I am sure, infact because I have a pair of balls I am being charged more than a woman, yet unlike a woman, I can actually park a car without having a fantod and can open my door in a carpark without denting the one next to it.

It's like congestion charges which the government want to introduce into towns and cities. I kid you not even Little old Shrewsbury in Shropshire has had plans for a congestion charge scheme.

The point is with insurance or taxing, people will continue to use the roads, it wont put people off if the bus or train service is so bad that it means using a car is the only viable option, especially outside london.

It's easy for some politician or insurance big wig to say 'lets charge them a huge amount more' when everyone else (doing proper hard work, not shuffling papers behind a desk and getting sucked off by a secretary) is earning in a year what they earn in a week.

Jag Mondeo -Type
b******s, just checked mine on confused.com and in the last 2 months my best quote with them has gone up by 30%!!

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR
i pay a fortune for my insurance due to my age/car and experience. i know thats my fault.

im 24 now but 25 in 6 months then my insurance will drop to half that

visualize whirled pe
i pay a fortune for my insurance due to my age/car and experience. i know thats my fault.

im 24 now but 25 in 6 months then my insurance will drop to half that

I hate to tell you dude but it aint gonna happen, past that bench mark a few years ago and there was little difference. I think you can take out a classic car policy when you reach 25.
I owned a scirocco 1.8 and the quote for that ranged from £300 to £700, six months earlier I nearly bought myself a Mustang coupe 1965 in-line 6 (the little one) £190 all in fully comp incl. break down cover and it was free to tax, but my gf didn't feel confident driving it!

The thing is though, it's not what they charge it's the way they deal with you if you need to claim, which is why we all have insurance in the first place... only then will you find out what worms they can be once they have your money (they have no problems taking more off drivers than their cars are worth and 'deciding' what your car is worth when they have to pay out).

Lots of miles, 9 points? Price sounds fair to me.
HTF is £3k fair? LOL

7 years NCB says more to me than someone who goes a bit quicker than some numbers on a bit of tin sometimes...

Anyway, I wouldn't touch Flux with a shitty stick. I've had good quotes from Admiral before (communication can be an issue with people in another country though... :rolleyes: ) and HIC have also found someone competitive, Chaucer I think they were called.

Failing that, get ringing round the ones in the back of evo magazine for example. I would say try the ones in Lax Bowels and all that but I'm never particularly sure about the quality of cover they provide...

Whatever, if it's through a broker always ask who they're putting you with. And don't, whatever you do, go with Highway insurance!

*Yawn* Maybe I've been brainwashed by working for an insurance company, or maybe people are too quick to complain. There is no "price fixing" in the insurance business, namely because that would be highly illegal (just look at the fuss over supermarket price fixing!). It is a competetive market, and beleive it or not, the profit margin is actually very small on domestic insurances such as car insurance. Shoot me down if you wish, but insurance premiums are one of the costs to consider when buying a performance car, just like the fuel and road fund licence costs.

(this is aimed at Riches reply, not Steves original comment! That hike is ridiculous imo!)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Insurance companies are sharks plain and simple. They know that it is a legal requirement to have insurance and thus you pay or you dont drive, so they have you by the balls. Even though quotes vary there is a certain amount of price fixing I am sure, infact because I have a pair of balls I am being charged more than a woman, yet unlike a woman, I can actually park a car without having a fantod and can open my door in a carpark without denting the one next to it.

It's like congestion charges which the government want to introduce into towns and cities. I kid you not even little old Shrewsbury in Shropshire has had plans for a congestion charge scheme.

The point is with insurance or taxing, people will continue to use the roads, it wont put people off if the bus or train service is so bad that it means using a car is the only viable option, especially outside london.

It's easy for some politician or insurance big wig to say 'lets charge them a huge amount more' when everyone else (doing proper hard work, not shuffling papers behind a desk and getting sucked off by a secretary) is earning in a year what they earn in a week.

Your jokin???!!!!

Mondeo TXS Bardge.
my renewal from tesco is £400 more than if i was a new customer with only legal cover and a400 excess and £500 more than a fully loaded bell policy with half the excess. its mad.

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

It's like congestion charges which the government want to introduce into towns and cities. I kid you not even little old Shrewsbury in Shropshire has had plans for a congestion charge scheme.

Your jokin???!!!!

Deadly serious mate!!!

They are well down the road of looking into it. There has been some noise about it...but Shropshire County Council are almost certainly going to implement it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Its w**k to get there in rush hour times, but ok after half 9 ish?

You learn something new every day lol!!

Clio F1 R27
Ok well I did some calling around and Swinton put me through to this service called "Call Quotes" or something like that. I managed to get a quote from Royal Sun Alliance for £770.

Can't believe Tesco wanted £3,240 for a 31 year old driver with seven years no claims. I do alot less miles now as I'm working closer to home. Unfortunately my commute to work used to be 110 miles a day and that's how I got the points. If I'd hit someone or been drink driving then I could understand an increase, but this was just daylight robbery.

Mothercluckers at SwiftCover charged me £359 for a standard 1.2 Mk1 last year (31y/o, good history but not recent, therefore zero no claims).

"Special offer", I can now get '2 instead of 1 years no claims bonus!' if I renew with them. Exactly the same circumstances, renewal fee with '2 years no claims' is now £428! Of course this renewal is 'automatic' so will be taken out my bank unless I go out my way to cancel.

Movin' to Mr Adrian Fux who will cover me for £275 with as many mods as I like.

Last edited:
  visualize whirled pe
*Yawn* Maybe I've been brainwashed by working for an insurance company, or maybe people are too quick to complain. There is no "price fixing" in the insurance business, namely because that would be highly illegal (just look at the fuss over supermarket price fixing!). It is a competetive market, and beleive it or not, the profit margin is actually very small on domestic insurances such as car insurance. Shoot me down if you wish, but insurance premiums are one of the costs to consider when buying a performance car, just like the fuel and road fund licence costs.

(this is aimed at Riches reply, not Steves original comment! That hike is ridiculous imo!)

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the principals of insurance is price fixing mate. Your postcode sets a figure as does your age and your vehicle etc. Tell me, who sets the amount you pay related to the statistical figures for age, vehicle and location and then and applies them to insurance pricing nationwide?

I'm not too quick to complain, in my experience when dealing with insurance companies I end up complaining for a very long time before they actually do the job I was paying them to do when I took out the policy. I wish I could get £400 a year to do f**k all when I'm needed to work.

Clio F1 R27
Mothercluckers at SwiftCover charged me £359 for a standard 1.2 Mk1 last year (31y/o, good history but not recent, therefore zero no claims).

"Special offer", I can now get '2 instead of 1 years no claims bonus!' if I renew with them. Exactly the same circumstances, renewal fee with '2 years no claims' is now £428! Of course this renewal is 'automatic' so will be taken out my bank unless I go out my way to cancel.

Movin' to Mr Adrian Fux who will cover me for £275 with as many mods as I like.

Yeah I used Adrian Flux who found my quote with Royal Sun Alliance. They are really good, highly recommended!!!

F-ck Tesco and their monopoly of supermarkets, corner shops, insurance, mobiles etc...

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the principals of insurance is price fixing mate. Your postcode sets a figure as does your age and your vehicle etc. Tell me, who sets the amount you pay related to the statistical figures for age, vehicle and location and then and applies them to insurance pricing nationwide?

I'm not too quick to complain, in my experience when dealing with insurance companies I end up complaining for a very long time before they actually do the job I was paying them to do when I took out the policy. I wish I could get £400 a year to do f**k all when I'm needed to work.

You can use the same arguement to say that anything is "price fixed", who determines the cost of a house or can of beans? Simply put, the premiums are a combination of the average outlay in claims depending on your demographic (as you pointed out, age, postcode etc) the cost of overheads and advertising and of course the profit margin (they aren't charities..) as well as tax and such. If they deem you to be a higher risk than than 65 year old Edith in her Micra doing 2000 miles in the highlands, then of course you pay more than she does for insurance, thats not price fixing. Admittedly, you pay your premiums and expect the company to fulfill their side of the contract, having to complain in order to get the right thing done is balls, but then I find thats because a lot of people who work in the call centres are clueless.. (which is not particularly company specific!)

Clio 197 sport
Im fairly happy with my insurance...

197 - Paying £1700 with tesco with no yrs ncb and 22 yrs old.

Allthough priced up my westfield that will do 0-60 in 4 seconds and it was £500 fully comp! wtf!!

visualize whirled pe
You can use the same arguement to say that anything is "price fixed", who determines the cost of a house or can of beans? Simply put, the premiums are a combination of the average outlay in claims depending on your demographic (as you pointed out, age, postcode etc) the cost of overheads and advertising and of course the profit margin (they aren't charities..) as well as tax and such. If they deem you to be a higher risk than than 65 year old Edith in her Micra doing 2000 miles in the highlands, then of course you pay more than she does for insurance, thats not price fixing. Admittedly, you pay your premiums and expect the company to fulfill their side of the contract, having to complain in order to get the right thing done is balls, but then I find thats because a lot of people who work in the call centres are clueless.. (which is not particularly company specific!)

Ahhh I see now. ;)
I suppose I look at insurance as something subjective rather than materialistic, something like a tin of beans or a house is a material purchase where as you pay for insurance in the lightly hood that 'something' will happen based on statistics. You are not to know if you've got anything for your purchase until you need to make a claim, if you dont make a claim for 10 years, who is the winner? :)

my renewal from tesco is £400 more than if i was a new customer with only legal cover and a400 excess and £500 more than a fully loaded bell policy with half the excess. its mad.

so take out a new policy with them then !! its well known you should NEVER take a renewall price you will always get it cheaper by taking out a new policy with them

cheapest anyone got insurance this year was £26 iirc that wasnt some old duffer either

Yes, shop around. Its a pain but lots of searching usually results in a quote much lower than the rest. Check the details though unless like me you expect it would be more expensive to claim in the long run than buy a new car.

There are a lot of people in this position. If the car is lost, the excess + years of losses from starting no claims from scratch can often work out more than the massively reduced value of the car as estimated by the insurance company. If the car is damaged, the claim works out even less worthwhile. : (

Anyone know how many no-claims years it is before you can apply for claims insurance?

D

dick

I think this is something ppl need to be aware of, obviously our insurance premiums are going to be going up!

This is along with tax, speed cameras, fuel, energy, inflation, supermarket food prices, interest rates.

This country is a a joke, we have an 18th century sewage system which floods half the country everytime it rains! We've got an 18th century underground in London. There's nearly 1 million illegal immigrants in the country. There's hundreds of thousands of people from the EU coming here and they're taking our jobs and sucking off our p-ss take social system which the government has no control over cause they have no money.

Time to move to France!

speak for yourself, im middle class.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR

Time to move to France!

speak for yourself, im middle class.

lol, as above

Works...kind of...
Middle class is a phrase made by people who dont want to admit to being working class. ;)

Insurance people will only give good deals to new customers to intice them to take out a policy, which is why the renewal quote is either more or very similar to what you payed the previous year.