ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Test drove 6 cars with a view to replace the Clio....

Nissan 350Z
And the Clio is here to stay after all of that. My overall impression is that you should be proud of your Clios. OK the build quality is pants, but there is very little out there at the right side of £20k that is more fun to drive, even though it might not be the fastest thing out there.

So what did I test drive and what did I think?

I'll try and keep this short.

Car no 1: Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6 GSI
A nice car to look at and be in. Nice sounding V6 engine. Pace doesnt seem as quick as the Clio up to 80, but its definitely a bit quicker after. Nevertheless, its the type of car you'll need to go 3 figures in to have any fun. Barge like handling. Not fun at all.

Car no 2: Toyota Celica T-Sport 190
Much better looking than the Clio, a nicer cabin with better build quality, and a far superior seating position. The engine is a peach... very revvy... but too peaky... action starts at 6500 rpm and then revs on to 8200 rpm, and the gearchange does not like to be rushed at all and not in keeping with the car. The engine is the best sounding 4-pot I've ever heard, sounding not unlike a racing car, and sounds much better than the Clio. However, powerband is too narrow, and it lacks torque at mid revs a disappointment as it pulls well from low revs. Acceleration feels brutal flat out. Handling is composed. However, the Clio is easier to drive fast, and the Celica is no more fun to drive. However, it is the most fun of all the cars I test drove.

Car no 3: Hyundai Coupe V6
Nice looking car, looking more grown up than the Clio. Better build quality than the Clio too but the cockpit looks tacky and cheap, and is no match for the external looks. Engine is very torquey, but lacks outright pace, and the engine is too muted. The handling is composed, but nothing more. Not particularly exciting. Very thirsty.

Car no 4: Toyota MR2 Spyder
The first RWD car I've driven, and also the first convertible I've driven, so naturally I had the roof down. Lively handling is let down by an engine that lacks power and is lifeless compared to the better engine in the Celica. I expected this car to deliver some thrills, but it was more boring than I hoped. The car was also chucking smoke out of the back - not a good sign!

Car no 5: Honda Civic Type R
This is the Clio's nemesis, and it left me feeling very cold afterwards. The engine is very revvy and peaky, the gearchange is good, the build quality fine and the cornering is composed, but it lacks any character at all. The VTEC sounds ok, but its nowhere near as good sounding as the Celica's VVT engine. I didnt think it sounded all that much better than the Clio TBH. Also the VTEC kick is overrated, I got many opportunities to open it up, and if anything, once the Clio comes on cam, it feels every bit as aggressive. The clio might not be faster, but it FEELS faster, noticably, thanks to the fact its more torquey, lighter, and smaller. The Civic has safe handling but the Clio is real character and is MUCH more fun to drive IMO. Astonishingly expensive.

Car no 6: Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T
Another 180 bhp supermini, and this was the most disappointing car of the lot. One word sums it up perfectly: boring. A torquey engine, but as standard, it didnt feel anything like as quick as the Clio, as it seemed to not like being revved much beyond 5,500 RPM. In gear acceleration not as good as expected. Handling was poor - understeery and wallowy, yet at the same time, bone jarringly firm ride. Quite an achievement to get so many ride/handling ills in one package. Interior was drab. You would need to chip this car to have any fun in it.

My final ranking:

1. Toyota Celica T-Sport 190
2. Hyundai Coupe V6
3. Honda Civic Type R
4. Toyota MR2 Spyder
5. Vauxhall Vectra GSI V6
6. Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.8T

So after all that, the Clio is hear to stay, unless I can find something for around £10k that is more fun, and at this point it looks unlikely. The Clio is not the fastest hatch around, but it feels fast (which is more important IMO), and to be fair, its handling is up there with almost anything else at this price, despite the cliche that the clio would "have anything in the twisties" - i think it actually would give a lot of cars a good caning around a twisty road. Celica excepted, there was not one car there that gave me much excitement, and the celica was not really any more fun than the clio... it might have been with a better gearchange (which I hear is a Celica trait rather than a fault) and better mid range response. As it is, the Clio is simply easier to drive fast and thus equals it for fun.

Ultimately as well, even these latest bigger turbo hatches I can definitely not see floating my boat either - cars are just too refined and boring and heavy these days.

Be proud of your Clios.... now I know why it won so many awards.

Ad

MK2 FRS
to be honest mate, I wouldnt have bothered testing any of them other than the CTR. the others dont seem natural replacements for a 182. So it is difficult to compare them to the clio.... as they are aimed at different markets.

Nissan 350Z
True, but I fancied something different, and hot hatches really only entered into it towards the end. My original plan was to get a sports car of some kind, but in the end, when I would have to pay thousands to change over, and they are no more fun, then whats the sense in it?

I'll keep the Clio for a while I think, try and get it paid for, save up some money, sell it and get something like a Lotus Elise. I think thats the only car I could consider an upgrade to the Clio for sensible money.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Try a VX220??? You'll be a lot close to affording one than you think!!

Have to say that having picked mine up yesterday. hehe

J

jamesy

i must say if i were looking to replace a 182 i dont think any of them cars would be in my line up:S

r32 golf is what ill get next soundly built and sexy looking motor but ill miss the clio bouching all over the road

J

jamesy

them r32's are very solid cars quick and superb for sounds the cabin gain is awesome:eek:

Good post. Interesting to hear what might come next after the Clio.

As a few have said, I'd be looking at the Megane 225 and the Focus RS as well. I'd quite like a Golf R32 but I'd be afraid of it drinking the local petrol station dry one night. And aren't they fairly expensive?

Megane R26
Very good post - interesting reading for me as a prospective 182 purchaser.

The other examples (LCR, FRS etc) cost more than £10k for a decent one, so I guess this is why they weren't on his list...?

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Did you not find with the Hyundai Coupe that the indicator is on the wrong side! Pants excuse I know, but it bugged me something chronic on my test drive in one, and apparently the clutch isn't all that in them.

I agree with the Celica, its a good car once you get it into the VVT range, although it is a good car if driven politely too!

I wasn't overly impressed with the Leon I drove, I wanted to test drive the Cupra R, but they gave me the 1.8T 180Bhp (or could have been 150Bhp) model, it pulled well, but I wasn't a big fan, and the idea of 5 doors put me off!

Leon Cupra R 225
Clios all the way! totally agree with your ranking, the celica is a great car really tempted to own one once the fun days of the clio finally come to an end

Renault Clio 172 Ph2
I had a 182 then a ibiza fr (though a 1.9 tdi not 1.8 - I found the handling awful), so due to the boring engine i got a ctr (much better but lasted 3k before a valve flattened and cost 2700 under warranty to repair), needed cash so sold for a rs1. Dont regret it one bit. Has been having bits wear out tho due to age etc. but love it. I personally did find ctr a tiny bit faster. but i prefer the clio on bumpy backlanes which is what i use. Oonly found the ctr better on smooth high speed corners. clios just easier to drive.

Ad

MK2 FRS
RobHardyUK said:
clios just easier to drive.

Having had a few cars myself:eek: I agree....

Thats the common misconception that people have. Their clio is very easy to drive fast. Just becasue another car is more difficult to drive fast, doesnt make i slower......

Volvo S60 T5
Result.

Dave my bro has just purchased a Hyundai coupe only the 2.0 16V version.
After 3 years of working for hyundai I can say that next to f**k all goes wrong with them.

Clio is still more fun, I got home 35 mins before he did!!

Black Gold 182 (Cup Pack)
Mark5290 said:
Has anyone roadtested the Seat Ibiza Cupra diesel and what did they think of it?.

my friend has the cupra diesel, very sold car i have to say, nice whine form the engine, but like most diesels, you gotta change up before anything happens! Good car though, but pretty boring IMO

Nissan 350Z
Right, I am glad some people at least enjoyed reading what I have written...

For the moaners, so what ? Is there an unwritten rule that says I would *have* to replace a hot hatch like a Clio with a similar screamer like a Type R? Whats wrong with the Celica for one? Very much like a hot hatch in spirit, in some respects.

And I even included the Type R in this comparison!!!! And the Cupra! Why wouldnt one consider these cars?

OK, so one might not consider a Vectra, or an MR2, but if someone wanted a bigger car, or an open top, they might!

I dunno, no pleasing some people...

But for me, i was interested to see how it measured up - I compared these cars more on an emotional level - i.e. i wasnt bothered if they were slower, I guaged them on how fun they are. However, the fact that I did find some of the cars too slow did in fact prove to me that having some performance is important - so I'm shallow!

Nissan 350Z
Revels106 said:
He says £20k in his first post!

I said its more fun than nearly anything this side of £20k... now I know there are cars that are possibly more fun at that price, but some of them are very compromised, and pretty much all of them would be second hand. At new prices, theres virtually nothing (in my humble opinion) which has the fun factor that the Clio has at almost half the price.

I mean, £20k will buy you the likes of the Golf GTI or Focus ST, but for me, these overweight turbo'd cars have lost the spirit of what hot hatches are supposed to be about. For me, these are nothing but luxurious grand tourers. If I was considering a car like this, I'd be tempted to look at a BMW 330Ci instead, as its rear wheel drive, perfectly balanced and with a V6 providing excellent torque and instant responses instead of a laggy, uncharasmatic 4-pot turbo. Or maybe even an M3. OK it would be second hand, but you'd get a good M3 for £20k.

As it is, I concentrated on cars around £10k, as I only had about that to spend.

For me personally the Clio is about 90% of the fun you can have on a road regardless of price, so spending any more is silly. Each to their own.

Now: 350Z; Before: Trophy
pbirkett said:
I'd be tempted to look at a BMW 330Ci instead, as its rear wheel drive, perfectly balanced and with a V6

BMW doesn't make V6s... it is a straight six that is in the 330ci.

Of which I owned two until I traded it in for the Trophy.... :)

O.

Nissan 350Z
Yes I know that, its just a habit that i keep writing V6, lol.

Anyway, I was actually at one point also considering a 330 Ci, but I take it you find the Clio more fun?

BMW M4; S1000 RR
For under £20k you can get a good example of a BMW 330d Sport. Very solid car and will keep up with supercars.

A little more expensive to run than a clio perhaps, does that come into your equation ?

T

the_devil

RobertCL said:
Good post. Interesting to hear what might come next after the Clio.

As a few have said, I'd be looking at the Megane 225 and the Focus RS as well. I'd quite like a Golf R32 but I'd be afraid of it drinking the local petrol station dry one night. And aren't they fairly expensive?

Depends on how you drive it mate. Driving sensibly you can get 30+mpg or with a heavy foot not much!

BMW E46 330i Touring
You didn't decide to test drive the vRS then!?! ;)

I'm sorry, only joking. Good reviews, it's always nice to experience other, similarly priced cars, just to see what options there are. I think in a couple years when I need a bigger car, for depressingly obvious reasons, I'll be looking into a Leon, Focus RS or Golf GTi (Mk5) or R32 (Mk4)...

197-I love!!!
I had a Cupra R Ibiza before my 182-I loved it but the 182 is much more fun Etc.and what you say about the Civic Type R is absolutely right-no character at all.