ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is going from Clio 182 to a Fiesta ST a good move?

squoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 FF
I’ve had my 182 for 8 years and I still love it, but I do now want something more modern, easier in traffic and less noisy on the motorway (where I do most of my driving). But I still want a small hatchback with fun handling and the Mk7 Fiesta ST ticks most boxes.

Is anyone who’s gone from a Clio 182 to a Fiesta ST happy with their decision?

Also interested in any comments on the following from anyone who has driven/owned both:

1. How the handling compares?
  2. Which is more fun more of the time?
  3. I have read The Fiesta driving position is quite high. But is it lower / better than the 182?
  4. What is the throttle response like on the Fiesta compared with the 182? I love the NA feeling of the 182.
  5. The 182 isn’t the best sounding engine but with an Induction kit and exhaust I do love the sound of mine. Is the Fiesta a bit of downgrade or is a good sound to when accelerating?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had my 182 for 8 years and I still love it, but I do now want something more modern, easier in traffic and less noisy on the motorway (where I do most of my driving). But I still want a small hatchback with fun handling and the Mk7 Fiesta ST ticks most boxes.

Also interested in any comments on the following from anyone who has driven/owned both:

1. How the handling compares?
  2. Which is more fun more of the time?
  3. I have read The Fiesta driving position is quite high. But is it lower / better than the 182?
  4. What is the throttle response like on the Fiesta compared with the 182? I love the NA feeling of the 182.
  5. The 182 isn’t the best sounding engine but with an Induction kit and exhaust I do love the sound of mine. Is the Fiesta a bit of downgrade or is a good sound to when accelerating?
Lots of good feedback in the comments here -

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I have spent a good bit of time driving both.

The Fiesta is obviously a lot more civilised and way easier to live with on a daily basis. The seating position is a little higher than I like but, compared to the Clio's weirdly angled steering wheel and silly gear lever position, it's still an improvement. The Recaro seats are really nice too.

In terms of ultimate fun, the Clio is the more enjoyable car. The Fiesta can't quite match the immediacy of the empty biscuit tin, small-car-big-engine feel of a 1*2, but it has more mid-range shove because of the turbo so is easier to drive quickly. The Fiesta sounds ok. Not as rowdy as a Clio with an induction kit, but pretty good as standard. And of course you can add bits and enjoy turbo whooshes and hisses.

I spent two weeks with an ST alongside my old Clio 197, and I would have still picked the Clio for a Sunday morning blast, but the Fiesta is a better all-rounder. It's 90% as fun, but probably 90% better as a daily driver. I'd happily own one.

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
I have spent a good bit of time driving both.

The Fiesta is obviously a lot more civilised and way easier to live with on a daily basis. The seating position is a little higher than I like but, compared to the Clio's weirdly angled steering wheel and silly gear lever position, it's still an improvement. The Recaro seats are really nice too.

In terms of ultimate fun, the Clio is the more enjoyable car. The Fiesta can't quite match the immediacy of the empty biscuit tin, small-car-big-engine feel of a 1*2, but it has more mid-range shove because of the turbo so is easier to drive quickly. The Fiesta sounds ok. Not as rowdy as a Clio with an induction kit, but pretty good as standard. And of course you can add bits and enjoy turbo whooshes and hisses.

I spent two weeks with an ST alongside my old Clio 197, and I would have still picked the Clio for a Sunday morning blast, but the Fiesta is a better all-rounder. It's 90% as fun, but probably 90% better as a daily driver. I'd happily own one.
Having owned all these mentioned, I completely agree.
I had a Mountune 215 ST-3, I liked it, but I never loved it.

squoz

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 FF
Great thank you for the responses. Just the kind of feedback I was after. There are some good comments on that Youtube video too.

Realistically I think it will be hard to find something that gives me the kind of fun I love my Clio for. And I don't know how I would come to sell it, so I think I need to look to keep it as a weekend / fun car!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I've only driven a Fiesta ST once
But it wasn't as raw as the 182.

I miss my 182 still but don't miss the age they are now, I imagine with a fiesta ST they are more reliable being newer (I may be completely wrong though)

I enjoyed the Fiesta ST though
Flat out going from 2nd into 3rd was addictive with the boost restriction changing

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
I've looked at the Fiesta ST a few times over the years now, and with a remap they look really good value for the performance and running cost. One thing that has put me off a little is the number of stolen ST's though. Not sure if they're pinpointed for any particular reason, or just easy to steal?

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I've looked at the Fiesta ST a few times over the years now, and with a remap they look really good value for the performance and running cost. One thing that has put me off a little is the number of stolen ST's though. Not sure if they're pinpointed for any particular reason, or just easy to steal?

The keyless entry was susceptible to range extending devices etc. They introduced a motion activated key for the MK8 but I don't know if it was made available for the MK7.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I did 125k miles in my 172 Cup, 24k miles in my Clio 200, and 64k miles in my mk7 Fiesta ST.

The ST was far closer in spirit and DNA to my 172 Cup than the 200 ever was.

To me it was kind of like the Cup, but with all the negatives fixed. Torque, creature comforts, better build quality, but still with the ability to swing its back end wildly and pivot on it's nose with the merest lift.

I only sold it because I jumped on the Focus RS bandwagon. That's was a mistake. I should have never sold the ST.

But then I wish I never sold the Cup as well!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Wife had an ST and it was a great little car.

Only thing I didn’t like was the harsh ride, made me want to be sick on a few occasions (ok, I had a kidney stone at the time which didn’t help, but it was very harsh).

Believe they softened things up a bit on later models.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
CF180BF9-E5E0-4A76-9DE4-04E667B65B1A.jpeg

Think I had one of the first ever ST-3s in 2014. I’ve never driven a car that made my boobs wobble the way this did on the motorway 🤣. Was great apart from that.

waiting for a 182
I did this swap, so just put comments below

1. How the handling compares? Steering is numb in comparison. Handles well but you can’t feel it
  2. Which is more fun more of the time? 182, never a sense of occasion in the ST
  3. I have read The Fiesta driving position is quite high. But is it lower / better than the 182? Similar, but the wheel and pedals are actually in the right place in the ST!
  4. What is the throttle response like on the Fiesta compared with the 182? I love the NA feeling of the 182. No turbo lag as such, but was nowhere near as responsive as my 182 with a tiny cat
  5. The 182 isn’t the best sounding engine but with an Induction kit and exhaust I do love the sound of mine. Is the Fiesta a bit of downgrade or is a good sound to when accelerating? Just had the stock setup in the ST, there’s no much noise and what there is isn’t great.

However. . . it is a much more refined place to be. My 182 was originally just a weekend toy, needed a commuter so the ST was a lot nicer for that. Unfortunately the dashboard layout was designed using the pattern left from someone sneezing on it, it’s a bit of a riot. Heated seats were like sitting in furnaces too, nice touch in the winter.

If I ever wanted a toy like that again the ST wouldn’t even get a look in. OTOH I never found myself upside down in a footwell trying to fix something

Clio 197
We have an St we use on Road and track.
Remap and induction so pulls strong and sounds well.
Way more modern and easy to live with than the 197 we had. Ultimately it needs a diff I think to handle like the Clio's but others I think it's a step forward.