ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

That E-Bay resisitor...........

306 GTI-6
Just been sat reading my flatmates performance VW mag, and in one article, some VW mechanics actually recommend fitting one of those E-Bay resistors because of the performance gains.

Now I am no expert on internal combustion engines, but I would have thought that fooling it to do something can't be good for it long term. What I would like though is anyone who is ACTUALLY knowledgeable about this topic to tell me whether these resistors are bad for your engine or not.

Audi TT 225
Very bad for your engine, the resistor fools a MAF sensor into thinking its getting max airflow and obviously it will be trying to add fuel as if your flooring it, even at idle which isn't good!

306 GTI-6
I understand how it is supposed to work, but what i want to know is, is the reason this is bad for the engine. Does it just increase your mpg as it over fuels or something, or will it actually damage the engine? If so how?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
basically they fool the cars sensor to read the air comming in is colder and denser than it really is, thus the mixture is changed to run richer. Obviously if there is hot air being pushed in the intake or the air is not as good as its claiming then you will get a bad combustion response.

basically its going to lower your mpg, probably make your car run like crap in hot sticky weather....and eventually damage the engine.

you would have thought if a 50p resistor actually worked for the better the car manufacturer would have had them fitted as stock.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
sorry in answer to your question, putting to much fuel in and hot air will lessen the detonation and make it run poorer...continually doing this will cause engine damage

LY 182
i disagree with the statement it will ruin your engine, theres physically nothing for it to ruin, it can ruin the cat if it makes the car run overly rich bit it dosn't because the ecu is only set to reckognise i certain set of resistance vaules from the sensor in standard form so its going to be within limits or it would bring the management light up.
i know a fella has built a kitcar using a ford dohc engine and hes wired a variable resistor up to the coolant temp senor,, can richen it up for a tad more power as and when he pleases

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I used this resistor in my old chevy v6 works good for me for 5 or 6 years in fact car still runnig ok with their new owner
Car just will consume more gas and need to be complete with a high flow air filter and a good exaust sistem, menawhile more gas & air get the engine more power will produce

Regards

i disagree with the statement it will ruin your engine, theres physically nothing for it to ruin, it can ruin the cat if it makes the car run overly rich bit it dosn't because the ecu is only set to reckognise i certain set of resistance vaules from the sensor in standard form so its going to be within limits or it would bring the management light up.

Piston rings exhaust valves MPG emmisions

Its a stupud thing is if were any good why don't Renault fit them and get more HP and Mpg for free could cut out the wiring in the loom as well to save cost its a losing situation for them putting the sensors in otherwise.

LY 182

Piston rings exhaust valves MPG emmisions

Its a stupud thing is if were any good why don't Renault fit them and get more HP and Mpg for free could cut out the wiring in the loom as well to save cost its a losing situation for them putting the sensors in otherwise.
if it was running about 15 co maybe, but i cant see it putting it up that much, i wouldnt mind betting it would still pass a test with it fitted.