ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thats what that knocking noise was

Clio 182
Now I am not a master mechanic but think my engine is spent.
Good job I had another sitting in the garage.
:)
86c1dc37.jpg

dcdc995f.jpg
9b6202d4.jpg
d328a1ae.jpg
2e7ebf29.jpg

Last edited:
  Clio 182
HaHa ye.
Made a great noise. Had to laugh when I took the
head of and was thinking Errr were has piston number
4 gone.

Clio 182
HaHa thanks mate.
Would be pissed if I did not have another engine.
The other half said I was mad to get it but glad I did.
Best £200 I have ever spent.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Got any pictures of the state of the bores?

Must be more metal shards about the place than that too?

Clio 182
Also known as a gudgeon pin.
:)

The bore is not to bad. Did have to empty some bits out of the
exhaust down pipe and cat though. there is also a hole in the bottom of the block so
may be some parts in the water side.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
jesus. what would of caused that to happen?

Most common reason for that sort of carnage is either a rod bolt letting go or the rod itself stretching and failing.

Both of which are normally linked to high RPM, but in this case if it was knocking first, it might have been an oil problem that took out the shells and then in turn the shock loads killed the rod or rod bolts.

Ive just put ARP rod bolts in my mrs 172 daily to allow me to rev it harder but there is still a risk.

Evo
This kind of failure is quite common on 197s, thought the mk2 lumps were bombproof lol.

Driver abuse... :p

Clio 182
Not sure what it was as the rod bolts were fine. The shells did not have a mark on them so oil all good.
HaHa I dont rev the arse off her and have done over 80k. In all this time it has never missed a beat.
Just think it was one of those things. Piston or Con-rod failure for what ever reson.

On the plus side I can now make my partners Dad the engine block coffee table he wants. :)