ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 100k Refresh.

Evo
My good old daily 172 is 14 years old this year and a few months off 100k mileage. It's starting to feel tired a little bit in the way it drives and sounds a little rough under the bonnet too, bad times.

So to celebrate its birthday I want to give the car a little refresh on a small budget. What kind of parts does everyone suggest refreshing to breathe some life back into the old girl? So far I've got a set of new injectors waiting to go in and the cars service schedule is up to date with oil, plugs and filters.

Over the past year the cars already had:
Clutch and cable replaced.
Throttle body and cable replaced.
Both driveshafts replaced.
ICV replaced.
Brakes front and rear replaced.
Front wheel bearing replaced.
Track rod ends, tie rods and rack bushes replaced.
Coilovers fitted with new top mounts.
Engine mounts replaced.
Fully polybush end front end.

So the cars pretty well looked after anyway but I want to do more to get it up to date. I was thinking along the lines of silicone coolant hoses and an alloy rad with thermostat and water pump. So question I'm asking is what other items will generally perk the cars condition and feel up?

I may be a little vague in my delivery of the question but hopefully you get the idea. Cheers for all your opinions!

A valet? Might sound mad but it makes the car feel new. And I mean a proper one even maybe with a detail on it? I'm just shy of 115k, had new coilovers last week and will be polybushing front end next week at BTM. New indicators and wipers, handles all helped too. Want to throw some cams in but she's already a good un and after a service feels fresh as.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds like you have done most of the mechanical / wear and tear things to be honest. Only other things are cosmetic but will freshen it up;

- new expansion tank / coolant bottle.
- spray the upper and Lower grille satin black
- brake fluid flush and replace with ATE super blue
- braided brake lines
- remove and replace seals on the calipers etc and spray them silver
- as Naith said above, a full interior / exterior clean / valet.
- clean the engine bay up with degreaser and spray the upper inlet manifold and fuel rail.
- shave the bobbles off the seats (if it's standard 172 interior)
- new steering wheel / snappy refresh if it's the standard wheel
- is the exhaust sagging? Refresh the exhaust mounts.

PS. I've just bought some silicone hoses. They were not cheap :(

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Clio brakes with the right pad and disc combo is plenty on standard ish power imo

Some new thrones?

JMS intake?

what suspension does it have? doe sit have a whiteline ARB?
Ph2 dash conversion?

Listerine & Poledo
Depends on how long you actually intend to hold onto it for.

Indefinitely - Crack on, throw money at it.
Meh, couple of years, maybe - Wouldn't bother